Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: CLP as a bore conditioner ?

CLP as a bore conditioner ?

Something I've noticed with a pet rifle (stainless 77 in 357) is that when I clean with CLP and only CLP it makes for a lot easier clean up if I get any leading. If I find I have a lot of powder fowling and use #9 it seems to cause more leading if I don't go through and reclean with CLP. This does not seem the case with carbon steel barrels, only with stainless.

I know CLP has teflon in it so is there something going on at the microscopic level with the stainless that is allowing it to get a "non stick" condition ? blued barrels just do not seem to care either way though I hardly shoot much cast through anything these days other than the 77/357 rifle wise.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Grand Master

May be on to something there. I've noticed stainless M77 bores can be a bit rough, one in particular is most accurate after several rounds. I generally take a gun with a dry, fouled bore hunting. Another thing I've noticed is that CLP left in a bore after thorough cleaning will loosen up stubborn fouling so a dry patch pushed through a few days after cleaning will generally come out dirty.
    Where does your first round from a CLP'd bore impact in relation to later rounds?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Pretty dead on, but then again 90% of my current shooting is at 75 yards or closer. I have brushed the bore with a CLP soaked bronze brush and noticed that even if I get a clean patch before doing that if I come back an hour later I still get fouling out...if its really soaked and it drips from the muzzle it leaves a nice stain on the rag I leave just in case of drips.

This is only the 2nd 77 I've ever owned and by far the one I've shot the most, I've probably run a few thousand rounds through this rifle every year for the past 3 years. The other 77 was a blued 300 WM that saw very little range time and has since been sent down the road. The bore on my pet rifle without scoping it out looks very smooth....but after all the rounds down the tube it should be I would think
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master
    I have suggested that PTFE powder be added to your favorite bullet lube. However the resident chicken littles warned that the sky would fall as toxic gases would be produced. I think they were the typical low imagination thinkers.

PTFE powder in bullet lube and bore cleaner would both tend to prevent leading.
    Last edited by EDG; 01-22-2018 at 02:44 AM.
    EDG