Graf & SonsTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyADvertise here
StainLess Steel MediaInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Savage A22 Magnum

  1. #1
    Boolit Master bdicki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts&Central Florida
    Posts
    820

    Savage A22 Magnum

    I just ordered one of these does anyone have any experience with this rifle?

  2. #2
    Boolit Master
    Hogtamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    East central GA, Appling near Augusta
    Posts
    2,124
    It was all bad at first....and...a trip back to savage did no good. Wouldn't work for anything after a severe cleaning. Jam job every other round, big pieces of shaved brass. I finally took it down and polished everything I could reach starting with the chamber with 600 emory cloth and steel wool. Problem solved. Now it is a great shooter, 10 in a quarter at 100 yds now with an old redfield 3x9. Shot every kind of ammo and the best for my rifle is CCI JHP 1875 fps. Academy sports has the 220 rd pks Swamp people version of that ammo for $38, buy all they for and be happy!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

  3. #3
    Boolit Master bdicki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts&Central Florida
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    It was all bad at first....and...a trip back to savage did no good. Wouldn't work for anything after a severe cleaning. Jam job every other round, big pieces of shaved brass. I finally took it down and polished everything I could reach starting with the chamber with 600 emory cloth and steel wool. Problem solved. Now it is a great shooter, 10 in a quarter at 100 yds now with an old redfield 3x9. Shot every kind of ammo and the best for my rifle is CCI JHP 1875 fps. Academy sports has the 220 rd pks Swamp people version of that ammo for $38, buy all they for and be happy!
    Looks like a trip to Academy is in my future. I guess not, don't see them listed on the web or flyer.

  4. #4
    Boolit Master
    Hogtamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    East central GA, Appling near Augusta
    Posts
    2,124
    pretty good pickin on gunbot. The fast lighter stuff has not impressed me.
    http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22wmr/
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

  5. #5
    Boolit Master bdicki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts&Central Florida
    Posts
    820
    Found some at Walmart.

  6. #6
    Boolit Master murf205's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    middle of Alabama
    Posts
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by bdicki View Post
    I just ordered one of these does anyone have any experience with this rifle?
    Yes and it was not good. It jammed with every brand and weight of ammo. It was my hunting buddies gun and he carried it back to the dealer and they gave him another one that was just as bad. He didn't feel like having a "project" gun so he got his $ back and I bought a CZ 512. Other than a heavy trigger, it shoots great and will digest any ammo made so far. Hope your luck is better.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it

  7. #7
    Boolit Master bdicki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts&Central Florida
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Yes and it was not good. It jammed with every brand and weight of ammo. It was my hunting buddies gun and he carried it back to the dealer and they gave him another one that was just as bad. He didn't feel like having a "project" gun so he got his $ back and I bought a CZ 512. Other than a heavy trigger, it shoots great and will digest any ammo made so far. Hope your luck is better.
    Sounds like I'll have a project on my hands.

  8. #8
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    443
    Seems Savage has had a run of tight chambers lately. My B22 FVSR was failing to extract even unfired cases. Went back to the dealer who sent it in. Savage had it back in three weeks and I've had over a thousand rounds through it since without a hitch. Came with a receipt saying they replaced the spring clip on the bolt and reamed the chamber.

  9. #9
    Boolit Master bdicki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts&Central Florida
    Posts
    820
    On my way to pick it up this morning so we will see.

  10. #10
    Boolit Master bdicki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts&Central Florida
    Posts
    820
    Well so far so good shot a box of CCI and a box of Fiochi and no jams, very nice trigger. I just shot it in my yard at 60 yards off of the truck hood, but accuracy seems to be good with either ammo. I ordered a case of the Fiochi from Midway with free shipping and got the CCI's from local Walmart. I'll take it to the local range and shoot it at 100 yards off of a bench to check it's accuracy with both kinds of ammo.

  11. #11
    Boolit Master
    Hogtamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    East central GA, Appling near Augusta
    Posts
    2,124
    Good news! Looking forward to your range report. What kinda of glass is it gonna wear?
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

  12. #12
    Boolit Master bdicki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts&Central Florida
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Good news! Looking forward to your range report. What kinda of glass is it gonna wear?
    Right now it has a Simmons 4X 22 mag scope on it that I recently purchased off of this site and because I have a half dozen good scopes in a safe at my other house it will do for now. I seem to have developed a case of the flu so I may not get out today.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check