Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2PBcastco
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Savage A22 Magnum

Boolit Master

Savage A22 Magnum

I just ordered one of these does anyone have any experience with this rifle?

Boolit Master

It was all bad at first....and...a trip back to savage did no good. Wouldn't work for anything after a severe cleaning. Jam job every other round, big pieces of shaved brass. I finally took it down and polished everything I could reach starting with the chamber with 600 emory cloth and steel wool. Problem solved. Now it is a great shooter, 10 in a quarter at 100 yds now with an old redfield 3x9. Shot every kind of ammo and the best for my rifle is CCI JHP 1875 fps. Academy sports has the 220 rd pks Swamp people version of that ammo for $38, buy all they for and be happy!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    It was all bad at first....and...a trip back to savage did no good. Wouldn't work for anything after a severe cleaning. Jam job every other round, big pieces of shaved brass. I finally took it down and polished everything I could reach starting with the chamber with 600 emory cloth and steel wool. Problem solved. Now it is a great shooter, 10 in a quarter at 100 yds now with an old redfield 3x9. Shot every kind of ammo and the best for my rifle is CCI JHP 1875 fps. Academy sports has the 220 rd pks Swamp people version of that ammo for $38, buy all they for and be happy!
    Looks like a trip to Academy is in my future. I guess not, don't see them listed on the web or flyer.

Boolit Master

pretty good pickin on gunbot. The fast lighter stuff has not impressed me.
    http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22wmr/
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Found some at Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by bdicki View Post
    I just ordered one of these does anyone have any experience with this rifle?
    Yes and it was not good. It jammed with every brand and weight of ammo. It was my hunting buddies gun and he carried it back to the dealer and they gave him another one that was just as bad. He didn't feel like having a "project" gun so he got his $ back and I bought a CZ 512. Other than a heavy trigger, it shoots great and will digest any ammo made so far. Hope your luck is better.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Yes and it was not good. It jammed with every brand and weight of ammo. It was my hunting buddies gun and he carried it back to the dealer and they gave him another one that was just as bad. He didn't feel like having a "project" gun so he got his $ back and I bought a CZ 512. Other than a heavy trigger, it shoots great and will digest any ammo made so far. Hope your luck is better.
    Sounds like I'll have a project on my hands.

Boolit Master
    Seems Savage has had a run of tight chambers lately. My B22 FVSR was failing to extract even unfired cases. Went back to the dealer who sent it in. Savage had it back in three weeks and I've had over a thousand rounds through it since without a hitch. Came with a receipt saying they replaced the spring clip on the bolt and reamed the chamber.

Boolit Master
    On my way to pick it up this morning so we will see.

Boolit Master
    Well so far so good shot a box of CCI and a box of Fiochi and no jams, very nice trigger. I just shot it in my yard at 60 yards off of the truck hood, but accuracy seems to be good with either ammo. I ordered a case of the Fiochi from Midway with free shipping and got the CCI's from local Walmart. I'll take it to the local range and shoot it at 100 yards off of a bench to check it's accuracy with both kinds of ammo.

Boolit Master

Good news! Looking forward to your range report. What kinda of glass is it gonna wear?
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Good news! Looking forward to your range report. What kinda of glass is it gonna wear?
    Right now it has a Simmons 4X 22 mag scope on it that I recently purchased off of this site and because I have a half dozen good scopes in a safe at my other house it will do for now. I seem to have developed a case of the flu so I may not get out today.

Boolit Master

Did you ever get that thing running? Shot mine a little today, great fun.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    It's been sitting in the safe and unused. Haven't had the time for much shooting lately. My old employer asked me to help out part time so have been traveling a bit again.

Boolit Master
    Well I finally got to shoot it today, I mounted a Leupold 2X7 scope and after zeroing it I shot it at 100 yards with CCI ammo. I have some Fiochi as well but it got hot and I was also sighting my new Remlin 1894 45LC so another time for the Fiochi. I really like it.

Boolit Master

As a self proclaimed 22 Magnum nut, yes I have one. ��

Reading some of these posts I guess I was lucky!! Mine shoots a favorite 50g Federal bullet right @ MOA for me! Shoots Hornady red tips well too, but as a hunting caliber for Coyotes, I like the heavier bullet.

The blueing is beep and the steel was well polished. The gun “feels” adult sized and handles well. I have a cheap Simmons 4-12-40 Side focus scope mounted cery low to the receiver/barrel for good ergonomics. Its magazine has worked well but its cheaply built. Be sure its fully seated and snaps in aduibly or missfeeds will occur.

I sold off my Marlin 922 after buying this as I liked it better. Much better.

Good luck with tours!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw