MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on which camp/truck gun.

I have a Rossi 92 chambered in 454, I can also shoot 45 in it. It’s a wonderful rifle. I like options. This gun gives me that. It is very reliable and and accurate

In Remembrance
    You guys must have some sensational bears if you are worried about reloading while one is attacking?

Boolit Master

Found a good deal on the Marlin 1894 in .45 Colt so pulled the trigger and ordered one. Hate to buy a gun without inspecting; especially a Remlin, but really no choice in my area with gun shops charging $200 more than online for the same rifle.

Congrats on the purchase. With some hardcast handloads you should be all set for any irate bear or moose.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Got a pre Remington 94 Cowboy in .45 Colt , if your new one is anything like my older one you will love it . It shoots cloverleafs all day long at 50 yds and so far has never hung up with anything I have fed it . Gonna put a peep on it cause my eyesight is getting kinda weak .

Eddie
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    You guys must have some sensational bears if you are worried about reloading while one is attacking?
    The Marlin holds 10 rounds . Cant see me having to reload .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    What about the infamous MS13 California bear that attacks in groups of 3 or more and has the distinctive red bandanna around it's head?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    For your use, I'm sure the Remlin will do just fine. In my experience, their customer service is good if you should ever need it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Camp or truck gun for me is something that has to meet several requirements;

1.) Powerful.
    2.) Easy to load and reload. Magazine fed ...
    3.) Ammo easily available.
    4.) Easy to remove optics in case of failure. So dual sights.
    5.) Short and handi.
    6.) High magazine capacity.
    7.) Accurate

Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle in any of the following calibers....308, 450 Marlin, 5.56 .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    Camp or truck gun for me is something that has to meet several requirements;

1.) Powerful.
    2.) Easy to load and reload. Magazine fed ...
    3.) Ammo easily available.
    4.) Easy to remove optics in case of failure. So dual sights.
    5.) Short and handi.
    6.) High magazine capacity.
    7.) Accurate

Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle in any of the following calibers....308, 450 Marlin, 5.56 .
    I looked at the GSR and wanted to love it, but, it was just too heavy and awkward and the action was not smooth or quick at all. Plus, it was $900. And how many rounds does it hold? 10. So does my Marlin. Plus, both my pistol and rifle are chambered in the same round. Can't do that with the GSR.

I'm about to head out into the woods in about an hour and do some hiking. Not in Grizzly country this time, but lots of wolf sightings and cougar sightings. I'll be hiking with my 100lb Great Dane/Lab mix. My sidearm will be the Glock 10mm G29.

This time of year, weather is your biggest enemy and is way more likely to kill you than any critter.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I looked at the GSR...it was just too heavy and awkward and the action was not smooth or quick at all. Plus, it was $900. And how many rounds does it hold? 10. So does my Marlin. Plus, both my pistol and rifle are chambered in the same round. Can't do that with the GSR.
    Modern boltguns are stocked with fenceposts. During deer season my truck gun is a Winchester 54 bolt-action .30-'06 which reloads quickly with Springfield stripper clips and is slick operating in rapid-fire off the shoulder. Rest of the year my 1894S Marlin .44 Magnum for the reasons you've already stated.

Attachment 212276Attachment 212277
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Just got back from my hike. Didn't see any predator sign at all. Lots of deer and elk sign, but didn't see any of them, either. There was a story in the local paper last week about a cougar that approached some hikers and attacked their dog. They didn't have any firearms with them as most hikers in this area are flaming libs who use whistles and hiking sticks to feel safe.

Where I went this morning was only 19 miles from my house but still felt remote and had some beautiful views...

Attachment 212284

Attachment 212285

Boolit Master
    Yes 10 round mag and I can pop that mag way faster than you can load a mag tube. So the idea of the truck gun is grab it pop the mag in and ready for action. That's the only thing I have against the lever guns. In my state you cannot carry a long gun loaded in a vehical. Handgun you can if you have a CC permit. That is some nice country and I like the choice if the model G 29. I am a huge fan of the 10mm
    Last edited by Ramjet-SS; 01-20-2018 at 06:22 PM.

You chose wisely. The 45 colt has been protecting and providing since 1873.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Post 64-pre angle eject winchester 94 30-30 is cheap and hard to beat for a truck gun. 30-30 ammo is readily available most places if you get in a pinch.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    That's a no-brainer, and the very definition of a .45 Rossi Model 92.
    Friend has a Puma Rossi in 454 Casul. Haven't handled or shot it but he claims 45 Colt ammo flows through it like a hot knife through butter. I have an identical looking Puma in 45 Colt and have put numerous Ruger only loads through with no signs of high pressure.

There are likely plenty of better options for bear, Elk etc defense but carrying the same ammo suitable for your rifle and pistol has plenty of advantages.

For a beater truck gun, I carried a SKS for years. Got it on advice from a cattle rancher that had big problems with Coyotes and packs of feral dogs. I got my first SKS back when they were a dime a dozen cheap. It took a beating behind the seat on 4-wheel trails but always worked despite of my neglecting to keep it clean and rust free.

My ideal dream truck Lever gun would be a Henry or Henry's quality chambered in either 460 or 50 S&W.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I looked at the GSR and wanted to love it, but, it was just too heavy and awkward and the action was not smooth or quick at all. Plus, it was $900. And how many rounds does it hold? 10. So does my Marlin. Plus, both my pistol and rifle are chambered in the same round. Can't do that with the GSR.
    You should check out some other GSR's. The two I've had (first was stollen) were quick and easy to slick up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    Yes 10 round mag and I can pop that mag way faster than you can load a mag tube. So the idea of the truck gun is grab it pop the mag in and ready for action. That's the only thing I have against the lever guns. In my state you cannot carry a long gun loaded in a vehical. Handgun you can if you have a CC permit. That is some nice country and I like the choice if the model G 29. I am a huge fan of the 10mm
    Washington has the same stupid vehicle/long gun law. I enjoy levers very much but the GSR with a few loaded mags handy is indeed a great truck combo. I switch back and fourth between a 94 Trapper and my GSR.

Boolit Master

I bought the Marlin version of the scout rifle. It takes either M1A mags or AR10 mags having a single mag release that operates both catches. Sure made it convenient for me as I already had an M1A and an AR10. I plan on using the Marlin as a truck gun.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Bub
    My Marlin .45 1894CB ltd JM 24"holds 13 rounds. Thanks to hickok45 https://youtu.be/vsmdCYsc-Vs?t=106

Boolit Buddy
    Don't know if it's still there or not , but the last time I looked Bud's had a Rossi Lever in 45 colt. I own two Rossi lever guns one in 357mag and the other is 44mag. I have not experienced any of the horror stories that are out there about the Rossi's. Mine are both very accurate smooth operating and feed without a hiccup anything I feed them. They are light smooth and very easy to carry. If I had the cash right now the one at Bud's would be mine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast