Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 PBcastco

Thread: Winchester Model 100 Recall

Boolit Master

Winchester Model 100 Recall

I bought this gun back in November and posted a few pics in the "last gun" thread. I knew about the recall when I bought the gun. It is an old recall, goes back to the 1990's I think. I am not sure how serious it is, I haven't been able to find anything dramatic posted on the internet. I tore the gun down and did have the old firing pin. It looked fine to me and I was going to hunt with it early in December but the trip got cancelled. There is plenty about the recall on the internet but here are my experiences. Winchester is still honoring the recall. (as of Jan, 2018) I called the 800 number (800-852-5734) and gave the lady my serial number. She confirmed it had not had the part exchanged and asked me to mail in the old firing pin. About three weeks later, I got an envelope from Winchester with a new firing pin and a new bolt sleeve locking pin. In another envelope, I got a check for $30 to cover the gunsmithing. I put the gun back together and have to go to the range soon. (it is 16 degrees today) We'll see how it goes. It should be fine.
    If anyone has one, the old pin is just a round firing pin, turned on a lathe or whatever. The new pin has a flat section on the forward part. It slides thru the bolt sleeve locking pin so that part was also replaced.
    I did see on the internet that a lot of people have had problems with taking these guns apart and putting back together. I have done it twice, found a couple problem areas. First thing that bothered me was assembling the bolt. It didn't look like the new firing pin protruded from the bolt face, until I realized that it did when rotated to the locking position. Second was putting the trigger assembly back. First way I did it was with the recoil spring in place. Got it done but it was a pain. Second time, I put the trigger assembly in place, pinned it, then put the recoil springs (2) and the guide rod back and it was not a big deal. Also remember that the bolt and op rod have to be all the way back to get the action out of the stock. I think it gets easier after you do it a few times.
    I have some pics, the old firing pin is on brown cardboard, the new one is on blue.
    Hope this is helpful if anyone has has one of these.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	win100a.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	211835

Name:	Win100oldfp.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	211836

Name:	Win100newfp1.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	211837

Name:	Win100newfp2.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	211838

Boolit Buddy
    I found a second hand Model 100 around five years ago and it needed the recall as well. I sent in the old firing pin and they sent me the new firing pin and a check to cover the gunsmithing cost to replace it. I swapped it myself.
    I imagine companies need to keep recalls active indefinitely. While there would have been a big surge in repaired rifles when the recall was announced, it must have tapered off, and has probably been just of trickle for decades and probably will continue to trickle in a few guns a year as guns continue to resurface from closets.

I can see why Winchester changed design. The new non-rotatating design with flat likely has a much lower stress concentration factor than the original skinny turned design. Reportedly the original design was susceptible to breaking at the narrow turned section and leaving the broken tip free to protrude from the breachface.

Boolit Grand Master
    Never heard of the recall. Would you happen to know if it applies to the Mod 88, as well?

Boolit Master
    I didn't know about the recall until mine broke. I only lost a small piece of the tip so I ended up with a mix of fail to fires and pierced primers. Good rifle but a pain to take apart and reassemble. Take pictures, especially if it will be apart for a while.

725, I believe the 88 was part of the recall as well.

The Winchester July 1990 FP recall was for Model 100 rifles only, but at about the time the Model 100 came into being, the 88 underwent internal changes in that many of the 100 parts could be utilized.

One of these was the firing pin.

The replacement/recall firing pins for the Model 100 will fit the later Model 88’s.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

There is a .243 and a .308 model 100 at the LGS. They handle beautifully!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In Remembrance

Kinda surprised that people still didn`t know about the recall seeing as how there was quite a media blitz and magazine postings about how the recall should be handled. I took care of 2 model 100`s, one was mine the other was my brothers, simply take it to a gunsmith and they went with it from there to replace the parts. I recall that there were `reports` of model 100`s turning full auto when a broken pin was protuding in the bolt face, no proof of this just a `report`.Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks. Good to know a 100 firing pin will fit the 88.

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Thanks. Good to know a 100 firing pin will fit the 88.
    AFAIK, only the replacement M-100 FP will fit the M-88, not the earlier/recalled M-100 FP's.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm going to make a trip to the LGS and put the question to them. They have a competent smith at their beck & call. Kind of feel like I should have a spare or two - just in case.