RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Machinning brass tube to reduce case capacity.

Boolit Master

Machinning brass tube to reduce case capacity.

I have been thinking of finding some brass tube and machinning it down to fit in a 45/70 case to reduce capacity fot light loads.

Im thinking of chamfering the inner part of the bottom slightly. Using a arbor press to press them in.

Any thoughts on doing this?

Boolit Master
    I’d just switch to trail boss.

If the sleeve shifts forward a bit during firing I think you’ll be done for the day. Not likely to happen on the first firing I suppose, but multiple firings and resizing might make it a little loose.

Boolit Master
    Many years ago I tried this with a 219 Improved Zipper (for which you start with a 38/55 case made from a 30/30 and put in your filler piece for which I used .223 brass). Worked well, but I concluded it was still much more work than it was worth. But the idea is quite viable.

I'd say "go for it" -- it'd be considerably less work to do on a 45/70 case than my bottleneck case that required blowing out, annealing, making the filler piece to fit nearly perfectly, necking down in 4 stages, neck turning, annealing again...

Yes indeed: go for it!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    If you could neck expand the case then install the tube, then size the neck back down to normal size, that might retain the heck out of the tube.

I do remember seeing someone discussing threading the primer flash hole in a 50 BMG case and screwing a tube into that, to pass the flash from the primer to about mid-case, for more consistency of ignition? Sounded a little uh, UNIQUE to me, but maybe it works pretty well.

Could braze the tube in place maybe, to help retain it? Be careful of what's annealed vs not and so on of course. Interesting problem!

Super Moderator

.............I've got a couple old articles on reducing case capacity by inserting a smaller cartridge case into a larger one, but the larger was always a BN design. Having the insert move forward into the barrel quietly waiting there for the next projectile would provide too much excitement for me. So far as 'Forward Ignition goes' (via a longish flash tube), it's been done. I forget who I'd read about doing that (back in the 60's ?), but I know in the Navy the 3"/50's and the 5"/38's (the only 2 I've witnessed) had tubes extending up 3/4 of the length of the case. Don't recall if there were any holes in the circumference of the tubes, as I didn't look close enough. Just saw them as we heaved them overboard

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    If i press it down the case to the same depth as the base of the bullet you would be able to tell if it moved. Im also thinking it will press on low enough to start rounding the bottom a little. This would put pressue back on it during firing.

Boolit Master
    I still don”t recommend this, but if I was determined to try it I would do a few things to try to ensure that the bushing stays in the case.

Make the bushing long enough that the bushing bottoms out in the test case and that the seated bullet bottoms out on the bushing.

Cut a couple shallow grooves around the bushing and then, once inserted in the test case, roll the case walls into those grooves.

Be sure to cut the bushing to match the interior profile of the test case, I doubt that it’s a cylinder.

Start with a new test case.

Good luck, and post pictures.

Boolit Master
    I tried the same concept once for a 577 Snider, but used rolled up heavy paper instead of brass. I rolled a strip tightly around a wood dowel and pushed it into the case. They stayed in the case for several firings, but got charred and you have to remove them to wash the cases. Don't know how they would work in a 45-70, but it would be easier to experiment this way than to make up a bunch of brass sleeves . You would want to look after each firing to make sure the tube didn't lodge in the barrel, didn't in my test but 45-70 might perform differently.

Boolit Master
    There is no way I can machine it to match the interior of the case with manual equipment. If its not too thisk and I anneal the tube it would take the shape of the case as it was pressed in with an arbor press. I have little concern for it being pushed out. It will be almostto thebottom of the case and pressure will expand it to the sides of the case.

Vendor Sponsor

How about reducing the case capacity by using 1/2" or 3/8" wads under the bullet? CircleFly shotgun wads and other makers are a source of thick wads in rifle calibers. Maybe safer and for sure, less work.
    Just an idea....
    Beyond that, make yourself or buy one piece brass from Rocky Mtn Cartridge Co. A few bucks each, not cheap but last forever.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 01-14-2018 at 11:33 AM.
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    If you could neck expand the case then install the tube, then size the neck back down to normal size, that might retain the heck out of the tube.

I do remember seeing someone discussing threading the primer flash hole in a 50 BMG case and screwing a tube into that, to pass the flash from the primer to about mid-case, for more consistency of ignition? Sounded a little uh, UNIQUE to me, but maybe it works pretty well.

Could braze the tube in place maybe, to help retain it? Be careful of what's annealed vs not and so on of course. Interesting problem!
    Seems I read that some cannon shells had an extend primer flash tube to help ignition and that some experimenters took the tube to the top of the powder column, making the powder burn from the front. I don't remember the theories for front ignition.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Call Rocky Mountain Cartridge and order however many reduced capacity cases you want.
    http://www.rockymountaincartridge.com
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    I think the army used a cardboard tube to reduce loads to 60 grains for the carbine 45-70.
    I picked up some brass from Gaintwist barrel co that is machined to shoot a reduced load of 23 grains 4198 and a 405 bullet.

Boolit Master
    Rocky
    Mountian is a little higher than I can afford.

I feel like you need 10 pages of fine print when you post something like this. Internet safety experts wear it out

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    You could also just load with 1 f and a thick wad stack. Blackpowder cartridges don't really lend themselves to "reduced" loads particularly well.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master

h The tubing you need may be found at online metals. It can be cut to length and turned to just what you need as to the case taper between centers. I would recommend several things if you do this. Turn a close fit of tube to case taper. Either red or green locktite the tube in or a very good epoxy for the initial installation. Then use a canelure tool and roll a canelure in the case at the end of the tube to mechanically lock it into place in addition to the locktite / epoxy. The other issue you may have here is getting cases with the tubes to expand and seal the chambers like they should. A tube with .015 wall is doubling wall thickness of the case in the head body area.

The wad stack or thick wads would be easier the use of 1/8" or 1/4" wads may accomplish the same thing and be easier to do. Another plus to the wad stacks are cases arnt modified leaving them useable for full power loads if ever desired. You could use a thin wad ( .010-.060) a wax wad (poured to thickness) and another thin wad to fill space. Wax can be melted and poured to desired thickness then wads cut from the sheet for this.

Elmer Keith and a few others worked with primer tubes years ago. The tube was screwed into the flash hole and extended to the front of the powder charge. Benefits were lower extreme spreads and standard deviations due to more complete ignition burning of the powder charge. Some claimed lowered fouling and unburnt powder. Heat was said to stay more localized in the chamber area of the barrel. Drawbacks were the time work installing them. flash holes drilled and tapped, tubes threaded and cut to length. Installed a little long so primer pockets can be uniformed back to truly flat. a slot or means of removing if needed. Tubes either were removed to deprime or a long skinny decapping pin was needed. Cases modified in this manner were good for one basic load as the variances in powder height and bullet depth would affect them. The tube also reduced case capacity making existing data for a given cartridge in useable.

The other issue with the modified cases is if when someone else gets a hold of them and tries standard loads in them.

Boolit Master
    Why bother:
    Just use Alliant Unique powder and load with the std 45-70 case
    and light bullets.
    I did this for plinking with my M86 win: 45 colt bullets and about 12 gr Unique
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Why?

BP will shoot just fine with a void above, in a cartridge.
    Frankford Arsenal knew this 140+ years ago
    Gallery loads you know!

The probelm occurs in frontloaders with a short started bullet when powder has ample time to burn and accelerate up the tube.
    Not the small amout of air in a cartridge.
    If you really think this is the case then please explain why airspace between powder cernals is no problem but doube that is suddenly a disaster. And please feel free to add documentation for blown rifles and or revolvers due to airspace in the cartridges!

If you are adamant about depleting air then why not use some foam rod insulation: https://www.google.com/search?q=foam...D4jE6QSgk7SYAg

Boolit Master
    the arsenal used cardboard tubes to reduce the .45-70 for carbine loads.

turn the tubes to a .001 press fit in a unsized case. then put the tubes in the freezer over night then drop them in and size the cases.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    I do remember seeing someone discussing threading the primer flash hole in a 50 BMG case and screwing a tube into that, to pass the flash from the primer to about mid-case,
    !
    Elmer Keith wrote of this in one of his books. "Hell I've Been there " if I remember right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast