ADvertise hereGraf & SonsInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2StainLess Steel MediaTitan ReloadingLee Precision

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Have you purchased Steve Gunz action video?

  1. #1
    Boolit Master Lakehouse2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    South Lyon, Michigan
    Posts
    198

    Have you purchased Steve Gunz action video?

    Ive got a Rossi that needs some help and searching the interweb, i see this video comes up often as the "go to" to DIY action work. Have you watched or purchased this video and whats it worth? Did the video help you?

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Boolit Master


    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    N edge of D/FW Metromess
    Posts
    10,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakehouse2012 View Post
    Ive got a Rossi that needs some help and searching the interweb, i see this video comes up often as the "go to" to DIY action work. Have you watched or purchased this video and whats it worth? Did the video help you?

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Yes, I found it useful and well made. Turns out my R92 has had all or most of the described work already done. The video was useful in figuring out how to install the bolt-mounted peep sight IIRC.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

  3. #3
    Boolit Master Lakehouse2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    South Lyon, Michigan
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Yes, I found it useful and well made. Turns out my R92 has had all or most of the described work already done. The video was useful in figuring out how to install the bolt-mounted peep sight IIRC.
    Thanks! Want to sell it?

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Boolit Master pietro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,966
    .

    I smoothed out both my Rossi 92's (.357 & .45 Colt) and made/installed a bolt peepsight (using a Skinner LoPro) just before Steve came out with his DVD & bolt peep.

    However, folks that I've known a long time online said they needed his DVD and were glad they bought it.

    If you order his DVD, he can also send you his lawyer safety replacement bolt peepsight, and a metallic magazine follower to replace the plastic Rossi item.

    Both items are a definite improvement in accuracy (bolt peep) and reliability (plastic is NOT fantastic).

    .
    Experience is a wonderful thing - It lets you recognize a mistake, when you make it again.

  5. #5
    Moderator Emeritus


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SW Montana
    Posts
    9,668
    Yes, I think it is a good resource to have.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

  6. #6
    Boolit Master


    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    N edge of D/FW Metromess
    Posts
    10,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakehouse2012 View Post
    Thanks! Want to sell it?

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    No, it's part of my reference library. I'll probably go thru this gun and tweak it a bit someday or buy another R92.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

  7. #7
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    WOMELSDORF, PA
    Posts
    159
    I had numerous issues with my 1980s Puma in 357. Called Steve got the video he told me what parts I needed and most importantly, what parts I didn't need. Followed his advise and directions on the DVD works like a champ. I have made up dummy rounds and can cycle them through that rifle with ease, and no the DVD is not for sale. If a large corporation made the video maybe, but this is the mans livelihood. He treated me well and I will not cut him out of his small profit. It is worth the money.

  8. #8
    Boolit Master Lakehouse2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    South Lyon, Michigan
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by fordwannabe View Post
    I had numerous issues with my 1980s Puma in 357. Called Steve got the video he told me what parts I needed and most importantly, what parts I didn't need. Followed his advise and directions on the DVD works like a champ. I have made up dummy rounds and can cycle them through that rifle with ease, and no the DVD is not for sale. If a large corporation made the video maybe, but this is the mans livelihood. He treated me well and I will not cut him out of his small profit. It is worth the money.
    Thanks for the feedback! I believe in small businessmen, wasnt trying to cut him out, rather getting it quicker... i called and emailed him a week ago and have had no response. Wasnt sure if he was still around or only part time...

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Boolit Master


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SE Ohio
    Posts
    602
    I bought the video and watched it a couple times. I was concerned about how much metal he was taking off the parts with a grinder. I used the video as a guide for the parts to be worked on. IIRC I did all the work with files and did a lot of polishing with stones. When I was done it was one smooth working carbine. Smooth as butter, as they say. I don't know if it was because of the I did but it would feed any .38 Spl or .357 Mag I fed it except WCs.
    Chuck

  10. #10
    Boolit Mold
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    5
    Youtube has several videos on slicking the Rossi 92.

  11. #11
    Boolit Man am44mag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    NE Texas
    Posts
    131
    Every time I come on this site, I find something else to buy. After looking through Steve's products, I'm thinking of giving my 92 an action job, new follower, getting rid of that stupid safety, and a tang sight along with a brass bead front sight.
    ______________________________________________
    Aaron

  12. #12
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    582
    I have a few winnie 92s. Did action jobs based on info available on the but was still looking to get the last hink out of the cycling. Steve's video identified the problem and fix. From the spring work in steve's video, i would say if you have a Rossi you need to see the info first hand several times. It is worth the money since I worked over three 92s with it.

  13. #13
    Boolit Man am44mag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    NE Texas
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    I have a few winnie 92s. Did action jobs based on info available on the but was still looking to get the last hink out of the cycling. Steve's video identified the problem and fix. From the spring work in steve's video, i would say if you have a Rossi you need to see the info first hand several times. It is worth the money since I worked over three 92s with it.
    Out of curiosity, how idiot proof is the action job DVD? Is a single slip going to ruin the gun, or is it hard to mess up that bad?
    ______________________________________________
    Aaron

  14. #14
    Boolit Master


    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    N edge of D/FW Metromess
    Posts
    10,395
    I generally take things a bit slower than Steve does with his video but he's done this job dozens, maybe hundreds of times. I'm living proof that no aspect of gun repair can ever be "idiot proof" but as I recall this video gets about as close as we can expect. Camera work is quite good as I recall and it's easy to see exactly what he's telling you to do.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check