Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value of nice used Win 94 .357 mag & how are they feeding cast SWC’s ?

Boolit Buddy

Value of nice used Win 94 .357 mag & how are they feeding cast SWC’s ?

Carbine model with the lovely cross bolt safety .
    Going to take a 60 mile drive on icy , snowpack in the morn to have
    a look at and would appreciate your opinions .
    Thanks !

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by umwminer View Post
    Carbine model with the lovely cross bolt safety .
    Going to take a 60 mile drive on icy , snowpack in the morn to have
    a look at and would appreciate your opinions .
    Thanks !
    Id easily pay 500.... if your driving ice, guess I'd bring 600....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I've seen them marked up pretty high. I missed one on 24 HourCF by thinking about - it sold for 650 I think and it sold fast.

Boolit Grand Master

I've gotten more and paid less so it would depend on the gun. Y'all keep that frozen stuff up there! My fellow Texicans can't figure out how to drive on it.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Some thoughts on .357 Model 94's. There is next to no parts availability for the .357 and the cartridge is somewhat problematic in the 94 action. They do not hold up well to a lot of shooting(1000 rds /yr) due to parts problems with extractors(not available) and links that double feed. They are very accurate. Basically the action was designed for a 30-30 length cartridge, not the .357. I had one, put 3-4K rds through it and after learning all I ever wanted to know about .357 Winchester 94's I happily sold it for $600. Good luck what ever you do.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

fecmec beat me to it. I have one in .44-40 and it's fine if I cycle it slowly, if I try to go fast it jams. The 94 is known to be problematic with pistol calibres.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Fellas for the info .
    I bought it - a like NIB angle eject saddle ring carbine with nice real walnut furniture.
    So far I have tested it @25 yds , one sandbag off the roof of the old Lincoln with 7 of my cast boolit loads in both 38 Spec and Magnum . She was throwing them into 1 to 1 1/2 inch 5 round groups with no leading and it feeds 173 gr Keith SWC’s like they were jacketed round nose .
    It double feeds (under the lifter) flush seated wad cutters , I’m guessing that it is a ctg OAL issue ?
    Gave $500 for it and I’m tickled .

Most pistol caliber lever action rifles are overall length sensitive. Very few of them will feed wadcutters from the magazine.

I have a Winchester 94 in .44 Magnum, and it doesn't care for SWC bullets at all. It doesn't get much use, since I've got a safe full of Marlins.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    My 94AE in 45 Colt will barely (and not always) feed up original length RF loads at SAAMI spec 1.600" COL. I am still loading RF designs but keep them to a max COL of 1.575" and they slide right into the chamber. When time and weather (temp!) allow I plan to experiment with SWC designs, still at the shorter length.

Boolit Master
    Got mine in 98 shot thousands of 357 mag rounds in it ,doesn't like short 38 specials but feed longer boolits than any marlin 94 .ejectors are the thing that breaks western gun parts say they are going to make them ,they can be repaired as it usually the pin that snaps .to repair cut a grove in its body and solder in a nail .used a weak spring and it will eject properly if the spring is too strong it causes the case to slip off extractor,very accurate fun gun.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Sounds to me like you want this rifle, it's an itch you need to scratch. If you like it, I say get it. They ain't getting any cheaper, and if you don't like it you can probably get your money back out of it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

Well, OP, did you scratch that itch? I had a pistol cartridge 1894 (45 Colt) for years but never had any issues that I can recall. Problem is I don't recall ever shooting it but I'm pretty sure I did. I think the Rossi R92 is a better option if you want a 38-357 levergun but they have their issues as well.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Post #7 bought it for $500, the thief! Discount for driving on the ice, maybe?
    Do I sound jealous? Yeah.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the help and info Fellas .
    It’s a sweet shooting little rifle .
    I’m 64 and although I can see far just fine , these past two years or so has me squinting real hard to see a front sight post . I know it sounds sacrilegious and I hate the looks of it myself but I mounted a Burris Fast Fire III on the forward part of the receiver behind the rear sight .
    Wicked fast acquisition and I can spank anything I’m looking at inside of 100yds with it.
    Lots of fun and my grandsons are going to love headshooting cottontails with it next fall .
    173gr Keith , my 50/50 beeswax/ moly lube over 3.7gr Red Dot chronos @907fps av and shoots tighter than I can hold.
    I’m going outside right now to shoot her some more !

I bought one New in 1994 ....cross bolt safety..... Mine is .44 mag. not one issue with it !! But I have never levered her fast but I call it a normal speed
    and it does good!!! I put a marble tang sight with windage and a full California Buckthorn rear sight!!! Love the combo and for old eyes she works well!!

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Moderator Emeritus

Well Miner you did good. If you are near WMC, I am 60 miles N of you. I also bit the bullet and scoped my Rossi 92 to get my eyes to shoot with it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    OlDeuce , those are 2 beautiful little Winchesters . Rear peep sights are making fuzzy front sight posts for me too . Did that top pictured 94 come from the factory with the stocks checkered ?

Gianni , I’m betwixt Roundup & Billings

Boolit Master

Years ago I had a win mdl 94 in .357 mag found out you needed to be as long as you could for things to work. Sold for some other rifle and never looked back. If I were to get another .357 mag lever it would be in a mdl 92
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If you get a chance, try the Lee 358-125-RF in your carbine. Very accurate and easy feeding boolit, and you can push it pretty hard without a gas check.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the tip Ferguson .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast