Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Wild West Trigger

Boolit Grand Master

Wild West Trigger

Saw the good folks from Wild West Guns at the Dallas Safari Club show last weekend, remembered that I had an 1895 Remlin with a really ugly trigger. They had some very tempting rifles on display so I had a nice visit with them while enjoying the eye candy. Just so happens they had one of their Trigger Happy kits along so we did a little business. Installed it a few days ago and the difference was remarkable! Trigger went from a sloppy 9+ pounds to a crisp 7 or so. With two of my older Marlins the Wild West Guns kit was all I needed to get good 4 lb +/- triggers but this Remlin needed a bit more help. Sear notch on the Remlin hammer looked pretty rough so a quick dressing with a file & stone brought the trigger pull down under 5 lbs. No, I'm not a gunsmith but I know which angles of a sear need to be preserved and how to test sear engagement when I'm done.
    I never realized how bad the trigger was on this Remlin until I took it hunting last month. Was attempting to do a boolit test on a large boar and at first I thought something was wrong with the finger lever safety. I was finally able to conduct the boolit test but resolved to do something about that trigger!
    If you're not familiar with the Wild West trigger it replaces the floppy (and often sloppy) two-piece factory trigger with a well-made one-piece trigger. It seems a bit pricey @ $100 but the quality is there and the results are dramatic.
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 01-13-2018 at 04:51 PM.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I've had one for several years, makes groups smaller. Is a bit pricey & normal trigger can be made good, but find a good smith.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I've had one for several years, makes groups smaller. Is a bit pricey & normal trigger can be made good, but find a good smith.
    Hadn't thought about smaller groups, this one shoots very well. Almost as good as my early guide gun. Could be interesting. I've got a pretty good 'smith but I like the way the one piece trigger feels and I don't mind doing the easy jobs myself. Will admit, took me awhile to remember how to do this job. Can't believe I've done it twice before but it's probably been a few years.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I liked the 'floppy' one for target work but the pin clearance is sloppy and the sear surface is rough. Mine had a 6# pull. WW solved both problems.
    Whatever!