Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Double rifles.. Whaddya got?

He cannot find his data. If you could see his loading bench you could understand. He gives a new meaning to the word clutter. I called Accurate Powders and the guy I talked to said that 49grs of 5744 and a 400gr cast boolit would deliver 1750 fps in the Merkel. Max for 5744 was 66grs according to him. Hodgdon's tech told me to fill the case to the base level of a seated boolit and multiply by 30% and that would be the starting load of Trail Boss. He did not say anything about max of Trail Boss but nobody in their right mind would use that powder for max loads. After a couple of emails, Tom @ Accurate Molds designed a 510 gr mold for the 470 which would make full throttle practice loads a LOT cheaper. It's a really great looking mold (48-510N) and if the Merkel were mine, I's have one in a heartbeat. After all that, I am having a total right shoulder joint replacement on the 19th, so my 470 nitro days may be over. Maybe my 358 Norma days as well. This getting old aint for sissies, brother.
    Last edited by murf205; 02-08-2018 at 11:25 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Your trailboss data is wrong.

Fill case to base of seated bullet, no compression, free space only, then multiply by 70%

70% free case fill under projectile is starting, 100% is max, never use a compressed load. For safety, I never go past 95%.

What I posted was exactly what the person I talked to at Hodgdon Powders told me. I'm not saying you are wrong or that he is right, just what he told me in a phone conversation. Makes you wonder just who they hand the call off to. If you have loaded T B this way, and your results confirmed what you were looking for I must agree. Have you shot Trail Boss in your 470? If so, what speeds did you get?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Don't take my word for it, take IMR's

https://imrpowder.com/wp-content/upl...-loads-r_p.pdf

The PDF is a small data sheet, but the paragraph above the data sheet explains the load, 70% starting, etc.

They must have given you to a salesman. Universally across the board, salesmen usually give out bogus info.

I am still in the development stage for working up a trailboss load for my 470. It will not regulate with factory jwords in its regulating load weight, using trailboss. I'm in the process of trying to track down some cast boolits for it and possibly experiment with lighter weight projectiles.

The Buffalo in my avatar was shot with my Merkel SxS in 470 NE.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Don't take my word for it, take IMR's

https://imrpowder.com/wp-content/upl...-loads-r_p.pdf

The PDF is a small data sheet, but the paragraph above the data sheet explains the load, 70% starting, etc.

They must have given you to a salesman. Universally across the board, salesmen usually give out bogus info.

I am still in the development stage for working up a trailboss load for my 470. It will not regulate with factory jwords in its regulating load weight, using trailboss. I'm in the process of trying to track down some cast boolits for it and possibly experiment with lighter weight projectiles.
    Thanks a ton for straightening that out. I never thought that I would be the one to relay bad loading info but, trust me, it wont happen again.
    As far as the lighter projectiles, my friend bought some 400gr cast boolits for a 480 Ruger and although they didn't exactly shoot to regulation, they were close enough to practice with. As much as those factory bullets cost, it wouldn't take long for one of Mr. Toms Accurate molds to pay for its self.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooksar View Post
    Nice buff. How far did he go after the shot?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooksar View Post
    Nice!!
    Where was the hunt and would you book with that same outfit again?
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

Anyone know of a print magazine that caters to the double rifle crowd?

The Double Gun and Single Shot Journal. Beautiful magazine with excellent photos and articles but also on the upper end of cost as magazines go.
    The Bill of Rights - Void were prohibited by law.
    Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyR...83SK1hk2GT-Jqg

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by StolzerandSons View Post
    The Double Gun and Single Shot Journal. Beautiful magazine with excellent photos and articles but also on the upper end of cost as magazines go.
    Never heard of it, will have to try to locate a copy.

thanks

Boolit Master
    There are some copies on eBay, and lots on my life support system, www.bookfinder.com . You will often find it listed without "single shot" in the title, so maybe that was added later. Prices are mostly a shade above high end as magazines go, but probably well worth it if you ever find a particular article recommended.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Never heard of it, will have to try to locate a copy.

thanks
    I have a vague memory of seeing that magazine at Barnes & Noble... have to check next time I'm in there.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    How do you like the Merkel?
    I like it a lot, shot 2 Cape Buffalo and 1 Girraffe with it. Going after Elephant and Hippo in September

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345