RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: Researching a paper patch polishing system?

Researching a paper patch polishing system?

This is research and not something I plan to do soon, health issues. I have searched and read lots of cast related net info while enduring many chemo days. I would just get prepped to start shooting again and an emergency would arise.

Here is my specific system problem. I am well tooled with a used Lam II (no sizing dies), copious lead of decent alloying quality, some GG molds, and a Wagge ladle furnace, and a cut propane tank turkey fryer combo for large sized alloying and lead cleaning. The problem is health is making it a strong possibility that I may never be able to take it from raw component now to an actual cast bullet hobby. I'm on disability and money is tighter (I'm blessed with family financial security but still frugal is appropriate now more than ever). I need a system that makes it unnecessary to buy any tooling or do any casting.

I can access Berry's plated bullet in .309 150 gr 30-30 and .311 123gr 7.62. It is often reported to treat these as lead bullets and they are restricted to 1900 fps, I am focused on a 32 Sp Win 94, Lee Enfield No.5 in 303 (second pound slug is planned but it is .315/4 throat and .313 bore first time around), and a 30-30 Handi rifle with micro-grooves. I want to do this to try paper patching and run 100 paper patch down each bore for polishing. For the polishers accuracy and tuning not required. But in the end it has nothing to do with fixing problems at this time. I just want to do it. I have Trail Boss, SR4759, IMR4227, and H4198 on hand.

If it helps I would be open to buying stock Lee push through sizers left unmodified. First each rifle will be cleaned to fresh bore and a fresh pound bore/throat slug. The idea is simple buy the Berry's 30-30 score lightly with rolling using a file on a plate. Wrapping with appropriate paper left dry afterwards, aiming for .311 for the 30-30, .315 for the Brit, and .323 for the Special. How would you solve this, please, remember no extra tooling or any casting involved?
    Last edited by Canuck Bob; 01-13-2018 at 03:10 PM.

I'd suggest wrapping to just fit an unsized neck. I aim for enough interference that I can start the boolit seating by hand then finish in the press. Printer paper makes this easier since it is more compressible. I roll the patched boolit on the lube pad (with STP) then seat. The lube soaks away leaving the boolit so tight in the neck a puller is required to remove it.

I am planning to try an under groove diameter core and using glue, attempt to get the patch to stay on down range. This may work better in your micro-groove. I have one bore with rounded rifling that does let the boolit pass with the patch intact.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    Still need to know your bore diameters and groove diameters.And throat and inside fired neck diameter.

Unlubed patched bullets will certainly smooth things up and it should clean easier.

You may have to clean a bit for a start if you get build up in one area.

Hand lapping is the proper way to work on a bore.
    Fire lapping will erode the throat
    Patching will burnish it to a lustrous finish and mirror like.

Certainly has worked in my guns.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 01-16-2018 at 10:32 AM.