Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How are the new Lee Loadmasters?

Boolit Master
    I'm shore you will love your Dillon 550 also , sturdy well built simple to set up and operate + the warranty . May I suggest staring slow in your loading , take your time with the setup and load small batches of ammo . When loading take the time to slowly look at each thing that has happened in all the stations every time , this could save you a lot of aggravation . A few rounds to test is easier to correct a possible issues , rather than having a thousand rounds you should disassemble for safety reasons . Besides you can play with your new toy more often .

Banned

I have to apologize and my jaw is about on the floor. Why a guy would have a 1050 and a 550 sitting under the bench and then actually buy a Loadmaster is beyond the comprehension of about 90 percent of the people on this fourm. Most of the ones that use lees use them because of cost and would surely use a 550 or 1050 if they had them or would at least sell them and buy something else they wanted. then I guess some love the challenge of making a Yugo keep going down the road too. You said you have sentimental attackment to that 550. id make you the same deal on that piece of junk 1050. As a matter of fact id send you two promasters. It kind of sounds like you haven't even tried the 1050. Don't you realize its probably the best progressive press ever made and is even used by commercial businesses to produce ammo to sell. Its almost sacrilegious to let one collect dust! Do you realize you have a grand sitting there if you cleaned it up??? Are you so well off that you couldn't find use for a grand to buy casting and loading stuff if you refuse to give it a try (because if you did youd never look back) I have lots of loading and casting gear and allways wanted a 1050 but its priced to high for me to afford. To let one sit wasting is almost a crime. Also if that 550 is really a press that has sentimental value to it id about bet the man that gave it to you is rolling over in his grave knowing its sitting and theres red on your bench Don't take any of this personal. I didn't design Dillon presses and could care less what someone else thinks of them. I do again apologize though because I would have about bet my house that no one would have a 550 under the bench and a lee on it let alone a 1050!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Banned

heres a couple pics of mine. Pics are a bit old theres 2 550s the non case fed lnl is gone now and the tv has been replaced by a flat screen [/ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	021.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	212694Click image for larger version. 

Name:	020.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	212695Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	212698Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	212699Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	212700Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	212698

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Papercidal View Post
    I had a loadmaster for a few years and started on my dads pro 1000 and would greatly recommend the pro 1000 and crimp on a single stage if you really need to crimp as a separate step. The loadmaster is a third the press my 650 is at half the price the pro 1000 is better than half the press at a third the price.
    ....... Who's on First ?????

Boolit Buddy
    Well I know what I have setting there. I have plans for both. But you know the loadmaster is working flawlessly for me and I'm awful busy with small kids to be tinkering in the reloading area without making ammo. I'm sure once the kids are a bit older that 1050 and 550 will be up an running as a dedicated pistol caliber press. I assure you that loadmaster will be there holding its own.

Banned

Why do people care who does whatever they want with their own stuff??? The nanny mentality is rude and obnoxious. This Lee Derangement Syndrom is tedious, and this nonsense posted herein is just beyond the pale. I have two 550s that I like, but mostly I use the two Classic Turrets in single stage mode. I have two A2s and a Big Max and then some. I wish I had the mad skills of jmorris and a fleet of 1050s looks impressive, but I don't have the skill and don't want a 1050. My choice, my life. I enjoy seeing what everyone is doing, exactly what they want and how they want. I get zero pleasure or enjoyment telling them how to do what they want to do and how they are wrong about it. Lee Derangement Syndrom is different from making suggestions and leaving it at that.
    Last edited by jmort; 01-25-2018 at 10:16 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree. People can do as they please with what they have. It's America after all.

The choice to use a LM over a 550 is pretty strait forward. More rounds per hour and lower tool up cost per caliber and switching calibers if a primer size is involved is faster on the LM.

Using a LM over a 1050 is borderline insane if all else is equal. But I have the loadmaster setup for 16 calibers. Do you realize the cost to have 15 setups for that 1050? Also the switchover time on that 1050 is crazy. So here is where I'm at. Ymmv. All presses have quirks and they all can work well.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I have to apologize and my jaw is about on the floor. Why a guy would have a 1050 and a 550 sitting under the bench and then actually buy a Loadmaster is beyond the comprehension of about 90 percent of the people on this fourm. Most of the ones that use lees use them because of cost and would surely use a 550 or 1050 if they had them or would at least sell them and buy something else they wanted. then I guess some love the challenge of making a Yugo keep going down the road too. You said you have sentimental attackment to that 550. id make you the same deal on that piece of junk 1050. As a matter of fact id send you two promasters. It kind of sounds like you haven't even tried the 1050. Don't you realize its probably the best progressive press ever made and is even used by commercial businesses to produce ammo to sell. Its almost sacrilegious to let one collect dust! Do you realize you have a grand sitting there if you cleaned it up??? Are you so well off that you couldn't find use for a grand to buy casting and loading stuff if you refuse to give it a try (because if you did youd never look back) I have lots of loading and casting gear and allways wanted a 1050 but its priced to high for me to afford. To let one sit wasting is almost a crime. Also if that 550 is really a press that has sentimental value to it id about bet the man that gave it to you is rolling over in his grave knowing its sitting and theres red on your bench Don't take any of this personal. I didn't design Dillon presses and could care less what someone else thinks of them. I do again apologize though because I would have about bet my house that no one would have a 550 under the bench and a lee on it let alone a 1050!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
    First off they are not wasting away. They are in a climate controlled building. Second I truly find the LM superior to the 550 in 3 aspects cost, rounds per hour, and switchover time.
    After getting the 2 quirks I had with the loadmaster ironed out (took a total of 1 hour). It has worked as reliably as the 550 for me. I have loaded thousands of rounds on both.

I never called any press junk btw. Dillon makes a good press. And so does lee.
    I applaud the apology as it takes some good character to do so. However I feel somewhat off about the implication that I'm in some sorta weird 10% of forum population because I load ammo fast and of quality. I don't think anyone would argue or find it off just because the press is red instead of blue.

I used the 1050. It is a nice press. I just haven't a need when the loadmaster is there. If I shot 10k a month of 45 acp you'd bet ur butt that 1050 would be on the bench right now.

Boolit Buddy
    I also feel obligated to say for anyone reading this to have all of my truthful info. the 550 has some edges over the LM. I believe it is a smoother press out of the box. The loadmaster requires a break in if you will before it smoothes out. The priming system is a bit more reliable out of the box on the 550 and does require attention on the loadmaster. Up until the new lee powder drum the old disk dropper sucked compared to dillion powder dropper. Now I would interchange one with the other and it would not be noticed.

Boolit Buddy
    @BigBore45 - can you share any of your secrets for addressing priming issues? The main issue I face is primers that seem to go down the ram and I end up with an unprimed case. I've done the smoothing of the primer trough and try to keep the priming system clean, but it still seems that I drop a couple or so per hundred rounds. The press has a solid mount so I don't think I'm dropping them for that reason.

I have three of the LM's and I've replaced primer trough assemblies on all of them. Some of the replacements have worked better than others. No two replacements have been the same in that either the slider arm is a different color (2 different shades of gray and one black) or the numbers molded into the plastic are different. That makes me think Lee continues to tweak the design of the priming system on the LM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger391xt View Post
    @BigBore45 - can you share any of your secrets for addressing priming issues? The main issue I face is primers that seem to go down the ram and I end up with an unprimed case. I've done the smoothing of the primer trough and try to keep the priming system clean, but it still seems that I drop a couple or so per hundred rounds. The press has a solid mount so I don't think I'm dropping them for that reason.

I have three of the LM's and I've replaced primer trough assemblies on all of them. Some of the replacements have worked better than others. No two replacements have been the same in that either the slider arm is a different color (2 different shades of gray and one black) or the numbers molded into the plastic are different. That makes me think Lee continues to tweak the design of the priming system on the LM.

Well if you notice on the frame of the press on the back side of the priming system. It hits two little casting bumps on the way up and on the way down. This shakes the priming assemble. I added 1/8" to those bumps with jb weld. Also I run 120-130 primers in my tray at start. Or another way of saying it is I never run light on the chute running to the delivery. I refill primer tray the first time I see a space in the slot on top of the chute. Try those two in conjunction and see if it helps. I'll add pics later. I cannot do it on my phone for some reason I have to email them to myself and download via computer.

I have never had a problem with them going down the ram. Is the press level?
    Last edited by BigBore45; 01-25-2018 at 02:26 PM.

Ranger, not wanting to hi-jack this entertaining thread so if you send me a PM I will give you some "fixes" for the LM priming system. In the past I've owned several LM's off and on and was able to get them running very well, they kinda have always intrigued me the way they operate. I do not own any now, sold the last two I had last year, also sold the Dillon I had as I was "downsizing" my equipment. I'm left with a RCBS Pro 2000, a Forster Co-Ax and a Lee classic cast SS. The Co-Ax gets the most attention these days. Would be glad to assist you in any way I can.

Boolit Master
    I found Out. It no longer Wise to bash Lee. The lee people will come Out and picket your home or Seal your Dog. So It try To keep my Opinion to myself.
    The only Think i can say In good faith. Lee is the Poor man's Dillon, and Dillon is the Poor Man's STAR
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBore45 View Post
    Well if you notice on the frame of the press on the back side of the priming system. It hits two little casting bumps on the way up and on the way down. This shakes the priming assemble. I added 1/8" to those bumps with jb weld. Also I run 120-130 primers in my tray at start. Or another way of saying it is I never run light on the chute running to the delivery. I refill primer tray the first time I see a space in the slot on top of the chute. Try those two in conjunction and see if it helps. I'll add pics later. I cannot do it on my phone for some reason I have to email them to myself and download via computer.

I have never had a problem with them going down the ram. Is the press level?
    Yep, press is level. Trough makes good contact with the bumps....although I've had some that did not.

I think this usually happens if I miss turning the case feeder to the next tube and have an empty station on the shell plate. The next case is usually the one that doesn't get primed. Almost like the primer has slide forward and off the primer pin, even though the slider never moved it forward.

Apologies for hi-jacking the thread, but BB45 mentioned priming...

Now, about Sealing someone's Dog that was mentioned in another post...what is that? Guessing the wonderful feature called Autocorrect strikes again...

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180125_143149.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	212746

the way my LM is set up at the priming station i cannot see a way for the primer to go into the ram if its not being jerked around and is level. i would caution to say you may want to check for adequate spring height on the priming ram to primer loading arm as it keeps it up and allows a low spot to hold the primer before or after full up ram.

the only time in the operation it could be moved forward to drop down the ram( full up ram)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180125_144054.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	212747

it is cupped the rest of the stroke up or down.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180125_144117.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	212748
    Last edited by BigBore45; 01-25-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    spring to create tension. top of priming assy. should ride on bottom of shell plate with the spring working.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180125_143941.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	212749

This is the cup that holds it in placeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20180125_144023.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	212750

i could see it walking out if that spring is not holding the assy up against bottom of shellplate.

i really am guessing i have not ran into this problem before.

Boolit Master

I guess I am an "equal opportunity" reloader. I have a bit of everything. Dillon 550's, Lee Pro 1000"s, Pacific "C", Texan Turret, CH Magnum "H", RCBS Rockchucker......
    All have their uses and positive points. I prefer the Dillon's but have been able to get the Pro 1000's to perform well with some additions and slight modifications. I SS pin wet tumble all my brass so one of the Pro 1000's, is dedicated to decapping, and it is quick! The others I have picked up and modified to give to a couple of friends I am mentoring now. I am teaching the on single stage first before going to the progressives. Right now I have then set up in adjacent rooms but want to consolidate after some new benches are built. The one Pro 1000 is not yet in service. I screwed it to my case cleaning station to keep it from being knocked around.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_1332.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	212752Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_1338.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	212753Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_1333.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	212754Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_1339.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	212755Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_1334.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	212756Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_1336.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	212757

Guess I'm "bi equipmental"...I don't much care about the color...I load a certain way that has suited me well since the '50s....if a particular bit if equipment suits that way I load it's on or under my bench...if a piece of equipment doesn't work for me I don't own one no matter the color or the mumbo jumbo on the internet. I've been much involved in another hobby (not there now from health circumstances) but it deals with high end sport fishing boats...high end salt water tackle, etc. The thing that seems to be constant there and is here as well...from what I've seen...is that how well something works is often dependent on how proficient the user becomes with the particular item....I load with Lee presses and dies...they do fine for me....hate the rock chucker because of the primer catching situation.....Have had problems with the Lee scales and old powder measures from Lee so I use an RCBS 5-0-5 scale and I use the new Lee autodrum measure.....so whatever item works when I've learned to work it is what I use....I'm cheap and have been satisfied not being a brand snob just because "good stuff must cost more"

there is a toilet seat for every butt.

Read all 118 posts. I cant seem to find any information on the "New LoadMaster". I guess i should be following other presses to find out about the LoadMaster? I'm sooooo confused?????

FYI: I just had to dig a "little hole".

Isn't life simply great when we truly have choices ?????
    Today I Learned That I know less than I Thought.
    Tommorow will be the same, I'm Sure!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherNew1 View Post
    Read all 118 posts. I cant seem to find any information on the "New LoadMaster". I guess i should be following other presses to find out about the LoadMaster? I'm sooooo confused?????

FYI: I just had to dig a "little hole".

Isn't life simply great when we truly have choices ?????
    There is no "new" loadmaster they have been updated with a better primer system and I believe the new drum powder measure.

Edit: so the updated "new" loadmaster is better at powder dumping and primer feeding/seating than the first "old" loadmaster. Lol why dig a hole?
    Last edited by BigBore45; 01-25-2018 at 11:42 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast