MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Load Data
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How are the new Lee Loadmasters?

I keep seeing people say that their press is set for one caliber....That just don't make since. I see that the Dillons are set specific and now the LM's. All my presses are set to do both rifle and pistol calibers..Maybe that is why I am having such a hard time grasping the brand dedication..I want a useful tool for any function.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    I keep seeing people say that their press is set for one caliber....That just don't make since. I see that the Dillons are set specific and now the LM's. All my presses are set to do both rifle and pistol calibers..Maybe that is why I am having such a hard time grasping the brand dedication..I want a useful tool for any function.
    The Lee Pro 1000s are sold/marketed/setup for one caliber, come with everything needed to load that caliber, and even has a case feeder
    You don't even need a scale when using the included Auto Disc powder measure, but it is recommended for verification/peace of mind.
    They can be changed-over/converted, but at about $180 why would you
    Last edited by Kenstone; 01-23-2018 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    The Lee Pro 1000s are sold/marketed/setup for one caliber, comes with everything needed to load that caliber, and even has a case feeder
    You don't even need a scale when using the included Auto Disc powder measure, but it is recommended for verification/peace of mind.
    They can be changed-over/converted, but at about $180 why would you
    Not sure if I should take this post seriously or if it was all meant tongue-in-cheek?

Let's see the Pro1000 can be purchased separately as can any of the other presses by Lee. Yes it can be purchased "set-up" with a caliber of your choice as can the Lee Load Master. Don't need a scale? Not buying it by any means. Wouldn't catch me loading anything w/o a scale on the bench.

Pro1000 Can be changed over to another caliber, sure it can and those that can afford it or have the room to do it could easily add individual presses for each caliber they load and never have to change a thing. For the rest of us I can change over for just the cost of a shell plate and a set of dies. In Lee product terms that amounts to $30.00 for a set of dies and $15.00 for a shell plate if purchased from a site sponsor here Titan Reloading. Other costs involved, large and small primer parts and a shell pusher for large of small case which again are minimal costs.

The primer parts could possibly be eliminated because from listening to many of you here no one primes on their press anyways.

I want a useful tool for any function.
    Having a dozen progressives so one can sit down and start loading any one of a dozen different loads with zero setup time doesn’t make them any less functional than if the guy sold 11 of them and spent time converting the one he had left every session.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Not sure if I should take this post seriously or if it was all meant tongue-in-cheek?

Let's see the Pro1000 can be purchased separately as can any of the other presses by Lee. Yes it can be purchased "set-up" with a caliber of your choice as can the Lee Load Master. Don't need a scale? Not buying it by any means. Wouldn't catch me loading anything w/o a scale on the bench.

Pro1000 Can be changed over to another caliber, sure it can and those that can afford it or have the room to do it could easily add individual presses for each caliber they load and never have to change a thing. For the rest of us I can change over for just the cost of a shell plate and a set of dies. In Lee product terms that amounts to $30.00 for a set of dies and $15.00 for a shell plate if purchased from a site sponsor here Titan Reloading. Other costs involved, large and small primer parts and a shell pusher for large of small case which again are minimal costs.

The primer parts could possibly be eliminated because from listening to many of you here no one primes on their press anyways.
    Thanks for reading my post and commenting on it.
    Certainly NOT tongue-in-cheek...

I've never seen a Pro 1000 listed separately without dies/powder-measure/shell-plate at Titan. https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...s/lee-pro-1000

I'm with you on needing a scale and mentioned it.

Yes, a Pro 1000 can be changed over, I mentioned that too. (I'd include the $9 turret in change over cost if it were me tho)
    Change-over on other presses can be way more expensive, costing up to/over $100, and still not have a case feeder.

Yes, I can afford it, grew up poor, and changed that in adulthood, but old habits die hard.

I don't have a lot of room, load in a 38" wide closet under some stairs, with only 1 press on the bench, 3-4 others on a rack on the wall.
    Bench is 38" long/wide, all presses have a common mounting plate with the same bolt pattern.

You're not listening to me, I prime on all 4 of my progressive presses, but rarely change over from small to large or large to small.

I guess we can agree on different strokes for different folks...
    I love the diversity of reloading methods/equipment/etc.

Kenstone, I take no issue with what you say, just trying to clarify your feelings so we are on the same page.

I comment all the time that this hobby is only limited by ones imagination, budget, space or degree of interest. I did just go into both Titan and Lee website to look again and it appears that some changes have been made since I've last looked. Some of it may be because of the "New" upgraded presses that lee has brought out. I also noticed that the parts that used to be listed to upgrade the old 3 hole press are also no longer listed.

Yes the extra turrets are handy but ultimately they are not needed, just makes things easier and quicker for sure. Heck one really doesn't even need a powder measure to reload even with a progressive. With the Lee die it could still be done with dippers and a funnel. Slow but could be done.

Also my comment on priming wasn't directed at you as it was to all those in any post regarding priming that insist that priming on the press is either a waste of time or is unsafe. They are certainly entitled to that opinion even though it is not the opinion of all others.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    Thanks for reading my post and commenting on it.
    Certainly NOT tongue-in-cheek...

I don't have a lot of room, load in a 38" wide closet under some stairs, with only 1 press on the bench, 3-4 others on a rack on the wall.
    Bench is 38" long/wide, all presses have a common mounting plate with the same bolt pattern.:
    I seem to recall talking with you about your room under the stairs! So did you get it finished? Sounds like it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    I seem to recall talking with you about your room under the stairs! So did you get it finished? Sounds like it.
    haha...always a work in progress, but remember, I'm coming from a loading cabinet, so It's actually more room in the closet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OpenCabSmall.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	212412
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OpenCab.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    lol I have to see pictures to believe that one. Ill make you a deal. You send me that piece of junk 550 collecting dust and ill send you another BRAND NEW LOADMASTER.
    why wouldnt i set the 550B under the bench when my loadmaster changes calibers faster, cheaper to set up new calibers and puts out about 200 rds per hour more?

i had the 550 set up for 45 acp, bought it that way. well i have 16 calibers now and i would of been an extra $1000 in the hole atleast if i set that 550 up for all of them, so i made a choice to switch to the loadmaster. what a good call on my part saved tons of money and load way faster with faster switch over time. and i love the way you load the primer tray absolute slickest thing i have ever seen.
    Last edited by BigBore45; 01-22-2018 at 05:29 PM.

I found a YouTube video that was interesting where cell phone vibrators were installed on a LM on the primer and the powder feeds. This could be used on any progressive press and was not expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3ekMb3C0Wg

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Banned

I made you an offer. Enough said. If you truly love that loadmaster why wouldn't you want a second one vs looking at a press collecting dust under your bench. Just for grins lets see a picture of that press resting under your bench.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBore45 View Post
    why wouldnt i set the 550B under the bench when my loadmaster changes calibers faster, cheaper to set up new calibers and puts out about 200 rds per hour more?

i had the 550 set up for 45 acp, bought it that way. well i have 16 calibers now and i would of been an extra $1000 in the hole atleast if i set that 550 up for all of them, so i made a choice to switch to the loadmaster. what a good call on my part saved tons of money and load way faster with faster switch over time. and i love the way you load the primer tray absolute slickest thing i have ever seen.

Boolit Bub
    I love the internet. As soon as I decide the LM sounds like too much trouble, the Loadmaster is better than a Dillon and it's everyone's most beloved reloading press.

Too late for me, I have a 550c on the way from Graf's...

If you don’t use it, why not get rid of it for another LM or two or three?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I made you an offer. Enough said. If you truly love that loadmaster why wouldn't you want a second one vs looking at a press collecting dust under your bench. Just for grins lets see a picture of that press resting under your bench.
    Ok. I'll take pics when I get home from work. I'll even throw in a bonus pic or two.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    If you don’t use it, why not get rid of it for another LM or two or three?
    It has sentimental value and also have plans to make a case prep setup with it.

My opinion is irrelevant as all my equipment was purchased used and I have no intention of upgrading to new equipment anytime soon.

Though my general observation from watching ebay auctions almost daily is this;

Dillon progressive presses.
    SBD are generally available in varying degrees of completeness and condition though one might have to wait for the correct caliber or change over.
    550 Presses seem to be more commonly available, again in varying degrees of completeness or condition. Usually 2-3 always up for auction
    450 can be found on occasion
    650 very rarely seen on ebay

Hornady progressive presses are few and rarely complete.

Lee progressives and turret presses.
    3 hole turret press are common and condition varies greatly as does the extras that are included.
    4 hole Value turret about the same as the 3 hole.
    4 hole Classic Cast Turret not as common but do show up used
    Pro1000 availability varies, at times they cannot be found while other times they everywhere and again the condition and completeness varies greatly
    LoadMaster Not as common used as the Pro1000 and usually not complete

RCBS progressive are seen so seldom that when they do show up I don't even notice.

So what this all means I have no idea or even if it means anything.

Boolit Bub
    Just doing a quick search of completed auctions on eBay, I didn't find the same results that you're reporting...
    Last edited by wdfwguy; 01-23-2018 at 02:18 PM. Reason: misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by wdfwguy View Post
    Just doing a quick search of completed auctions on eBay, I didn't find the same results that you're reporting...
    So what did you find different? Again those are just my observation w/o compiling any data or notes.

Boolit Man
    There's a lot to be said of those with the skills to make the LM run. I'm not one of those guys. Tried and failed. Off to Blue I went and have no issues with my 3 Dillon presses. Set up properly they run reliably. I just didn't have the insight or patience. So, hats off to those that are successful.

Boolit Master
    I have more problems priming on my 550 then my loadmaster , ' but it's just because I keep forgetting to push the handle forward '. Use what you got but don't be afraid to explore your options I thought I was in heaven when I started charging brass with a little dandy powder measure over a loading block .

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast