WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationPBcastcoRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How are the new Lee Loadmasters?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    When I posted earlier , I thought this would happen , it took a couple days but it turned ugly . I picked up a Dillon 550 a few months after I got the loadmaster set up and figured out how it liked to be used and I can honestly say both of them are setting on the bench right beside each other without fighting they get along fine .
    You're absolutely correct, did take a little longer than usual for the childish stuff to start. I have Lee, RCBS and Hornady on my bench that don't fight either.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    LM owner for 30 years. It makes great ammo, rifle and pistol.

Up'd my ammo usage shooting USPSA and getting older, the LM was getting old. I sprung for a 650.

LM will do the job very well.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by zomby woof View Post
    LM owner for 30 years. It makes great ammo, rifle and pistol.
    Typo? Different press? The Lee LoadMaster hasn't been around for 30 years.

Well, introduced 1992, I guess we'll get there soon enough, in 4 more years.
    Last edited by HangFireW8; 01-15-2018 at 10:42 PM.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Vendor Sponsor

If you like skipped primers, flipped primers, sideways primers, you will LOVE the loadmaster. If you love a staticky *** powder measure that throws whatever charge it decides on at the time, you will LOVE the loadmaster.

Once you figure out that if you want foolproof priming, and you use a hand primer to do this because it works SO much better than priming on the loadmaster, and once you figure out that you would be better off with a different powder measure than what comes with the loadmaster, then you figure out well, what in the daylights do I NEED a loadmaster for? And you figure out that a pro 1000 or even a manual 3 hole press makes more sense and costs less money and a LOT less time and frustration than the loadmaster.

Other than that? The loadmaster is a great press. For someone else.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

there was no personal attacks here so that said Ive got just as much of a right to post my opinion as you or anyone else. Ive owned both pro1000 and a loadmaster and there junk. If that hurts your feelings I'm sorry but you weren't the person that built or designed it so theres no reason you should take it personaly. I know many here don't load as much as I do and maybe can get away with cheap stuff. But theres many here that come to get opinions of whats good and whats not and if they pick up a 550 vs a loadmaster ive probably saved them the 300 bucks I wasted on mine. Maybe if your idea of mass loading is cranking out 200 rounds youll bet by just fine. But I know that after even a couple hundred thousand my 55O will work just as well as it did the day I bought it. Is it perfect? Nope but its hands down worth the extra money over a loadmaster. I load and shoot.

I spend my hard earned money on that hobby. I do it ALOT and its my only hobby. I laugh because some here will go cheap on a loading press but think nothing of spending a 1000 bucks putting chrome on there truck or Harley. Will spend thousands going on vacation every year, or even can justify owning 10 or 15 guns when for the price of just ONE of those guns can buy a good press. There was absolutely nothing crude or arrogant posted by me or anyone else here. If your that insecure in your choice of a press then maybe you have a reason to be insecure. Kind of reminds me of my dads old buddy. He was half owner I our hunting camp. He had his own airplane bought new snowmobiles every year but would come to camp to hunt deer with an m1 carbine with some old scope on it that had duck tape wrapped around the mount to hold it on the rifle.

I guess it all comes down to what your priortys are and mine are loading and shooting and casting. I'm not going to do it with a cheap press, lee sizers and alox, or a gun with the scoped duck taped to it. I know its not in everyones budget to buy a Dillon press or a star sizer ect. But personaly if I couldn't afford to buy a 550 id stick with my single stage press and save my change for a couple more years till I could. Its your post that is a personal attack not mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    O/P asked a simple question. Crude ignorant reponses are not beneficial. The new model has not been out long. We know for a fact that many people are happily using Lee progressives but they require more owner involvement to make them run, but we know that can be done. Lot of info out their on their two models. I hope that the Lee new and improved progressive work well, as their price point is always excellent. I have two Lee classic turrets which are rightly praised by their owners, I know I love mine.

I have or had progressives from everyone that offers one RCBS, couple Hornady’s, more than one of all the Dillon’s and will brag on the worlds fastest Loadmaster, I put together.

I can’t say they are the best machine but once you get one to run right, you will have the knowledge of how to keep it running.

Any idea what has changed on the “new model”?

I used the 3 gen primer system on mine. They are not for everyone but they can be made to run.
    Last edited by jmorris; 01-16-2018 at 10:04 AM.

WOW Lloyd that is some rant. Sounds like someone that was personally insulted and had to attack back. But hey let's go back to post #5;

My mother allways said if you have nothing good to say ______________. Id about bet anyone that brags on them has never used a Dillon or hornady progressive.

I believe that is attributed to you? Was there really a point to that statement or was it just to draw a response like you have received? Sure you are entitled to your opinion but a statement such as above does nothing to advance the discussion. There is no fact, no substance. Just innuendo and what comes across as bitterness.

Now you want to read a rant try this one at post #24. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...92#post4262592

Then I'll state it AGAIN. I don't care 2 hoots what equipment you use or own. I don't have to use it and what I do have works just fine for me. If you feel the need to post a rant to justify what you have then go ahead. Buy as you yourself have stated this is a public forum and we are also free to follow up and post our opinions of your opinion.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just to be fair kmw, Lloyd did state he has owned both a pro1000 and a loadmaster so he has a basis for his opinion. Maybe he is not as good at mechanical things as you are, or maybe his expectations are higher, or maybe he has experience with other presses and has an informed opinion.

BTW, just a short story. I moved to northern MI 5 years ago. I have a 1999 Mercedes (as well as two pickup trucks)....about the only Mercedes in the area. None of the people here had ever ridden in one. They could not believe how smooth that car was on ratty roads, or it's ability to reach a high speed without fanfare and cruise effortlessly well over the speed limit. They also commented it was tighter and more solid than anything else...even newer offerings by Ford, Chevy etc. These are good honest people. They are poor, but they are not stupid. They will never own a Mercedes but know it is a better car than they will ever have.

Sometimes you do not know what you do not know. If you ever run a Dillon for a few hours and still prefer the Lee...well...not more to say. You are happy with your Lee. All is good.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Just to be fair kmw, Lloyd did state he has owned both a pro1000 and a loadmaster so he has a basis for his opinion. Maybe he is not as good at mechanical things as you are, or maybe his expectations are higher, or maybe he has experience with other presses and has an informed opinion. .
    dverna and yes to be fair I did also state that if you do have first hand experience then share it! Don't just make a condescending remark and then walk away. Back it up with some facts so people can make an honest judgment. Did you choose to skip that part of my comment or just not read it?

I have nothing against Dillon or any other press for that matter. Use what you want or can afford. A press is just a tool like any other. I've got no skin in your game. If you feel the only way to make good ammunition is by using Dillon then good for you. I happen to not feel the same way which also makes no difference to anyone but me.

In my tool box I have Snap On tools and I have a set of wrenches that were purchased from Ace Hardware back in 1970. I still use both, so what!

Banned

you don't have a lot of say in what or how I post as long as I stick to the rules and those rules state no personal attacks. A line your coming pretty close to crossing. Maybe there is a bit of bitterness because I basically threw away 500 bucks on junk. If I can save one other person from making the same stupid mistake I did then my post is valid to me. I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings but I wouldn't bother with another one if it were free. To many things to give a guy stress in his life as it is. Reloading is my time away from the stress and its relaxing and I want to keep it that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    WOW Lloyd that is some rant. Sounds like someone that was personally insulted and had to attack back. But hey let's go back to post #5;

My mother allways said if you have nothing good to say ______________. Id about bet anyone that brags on them has never used a Dillon or hornady progressive.

I believe that is attributed to you? Was there really a point to that statement or was it just to draw a response like you have received? Sure you are entitled to your opinion but a statement such as above does nothing to advance the discussion. There is no fact, no substance. Just innuendo and what comes across as bitterness.

Now you want to read a rant try this one at post #24. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...92#post4262592

Then I'll state it AGAIN. I don't care 2 hoots what equipment you use or own. I don't have to use it and what I do have works just fine for me. If you feel the need to post a rant to justify what you have then go ahead. Buy as you yourself have stated this is a public forum and we are also free to follow up and post our opinions of your opinion.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 01-16-2018 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    you don't have a lot of say in what or how I post as long as I stick to the rules and those rules state no personal attacks.

Maybe there is a bit of bitterness because I basically threw away 500 bucks on junk. If I can save one other person from making the same stupid mistake I did then my post is valid to me. .
    You are correct. You can say anything you like and voice any opinion you have just as we have the right to respond to that. And It may not seem like it to you but I view your comment in post #5 as a personal attack on anyone that uses something other than your precious blue press.

Now fine, you have experience with the Lee equipment, even bad to poor experience, so why is it that you couldn't relate that before and add substance to your comment? Myself I have issues with the Lee Auto Drum measure but when people ask I take the time to explain why I do. I explain the experience and then let them judge the validity of the comment. Open ended comments serve no useful purpose to anyone.

Banned

personal attack is when I come at you personaly. Not because I make a general statement like lee progressives are junk. I buy chev trucks. Why? Because ive been stung on two fords. Did I make that chev truck or that ford truck. NOPE. I bought, I didn't make it, it and its no personal attack on me if you don't agree with the brand I buy unless a guy has some real skin. As to open ended comments that's my choice if it doesn't break any rule. you didn't make a blanket statement about that. You quoted MY post. No rule says I have to give an explanation for any opinion I have. Really no need to with this subject anyway. Ive been here for 15 years and this subject has been hashed out over and over and over. So if you don't like the way I post you have a couple choices. Put me on your ignore list or report a violation to the moderator. Now I'm done here.

Boolit Buddy
    This topic always ends the same way but I think there is probably better way of looking at this. Look at Lee as an entry level progressive press. Yes it works if you set it up properly but it is not a Dillon or Hornady. Price reflects that accordingly. I bought LM to learn because I never had a progressive press. I knew what i was buying but I did it anyway. I dont regret my purchase at all. I get that priming sucks on LM so either make it work/ hand prime or go buy another press. Simple options if you ask me. For most part I get about one or two misprimes in a hundred cases. Thats not bad enough for me to hand prime or pay more money for another press. One day I'm sure I'll move to some other press whatever brand it may be but I will only do it when I'm ready and when i'm done with LM. I think LM provides important learning stage and for many people progressive might not be the way to go. Considering price of factory ammo even If I only loaded few thousands rounds on my LM and then trashed it. I would still consider that $250 money well spent.

Yes this topic does always progress the same way and that is the same with each of the 3 of the 4 forums I participate in. It just takes one word in the topic. LEE.

I believe you will find that throughout those 4 forums that I stay consistent in my approach to equipment, what value it has, it's short comings, it's strengths and how I use it. You can also find that throughout those same forums that nowhere will you ever find that I state that Lee makes the best stuff or that Lee presses are superior to all the others because they are not. They are also not as bad as some people like to make them out to be. If they were that bad they would not still be in business. There is more than plenty information on the web for anyone with half a brain to do a search and find all they info the could ever want on Lee Presses. Good and bad so there is no reason anyone should have to come onto a forum and ***** that they bought a piece of junk press. If they do then they didn't do their homework before they purchased it. It's that plain and simple.

Are Lee presses the best option for everyone? NO, BUT THEN neither is Dillon, Hornady or RCBS. Even Progressive presses as a whole are not for everyone for many different reasons. Investment cost, ease of use and yes even the volume of use. It is my belief that if you are not loading at least a 1000 rounds every month then you do not need a progressive press and if you are loading more than 3000 every month then you probably need something more than a Lee Pro1000 or even a Dillon 550. That is of course unless you want to be at the loading press every night.

For myself I have found that I am loading about 3000 round per year just by what I have bought for primers and bullets. Then my presses are sitting idle for probably 9 months out of the year so with that I will ask again as I have before w/o any answers. Someone please explain to me why I need more press than I already have? Why do I need hundreds to thousands of dollars tied up in equipment that is only going to be used sparingly?

I know because Lee Presses are JUNK! Just ask anyone.

I bought LM to learn because I never had a progressive press.
    I think this is the case in many instances.

I didn’t have the fights with the LM others have had they throw them away because I had already been using “good” progressives for over 30 years from everyone else that made them.

PS. Please post photos of the reloading room with hundreds of thousands of dollars of reloading equipment in it.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I think this is the case in many instances.

I didn’t have the fights with the LM others have had they throw them away because I had already been using “good” progressives for over 30 years from everyone else that made them.

PS. Please post photos of the reloading room with hundreds of thousands of dollars of reloading equipment in it.
    I would actually advise NOT to post pics of your reloading room .. Some might be on here cruising for info that you do not want out
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

I'll say that the LM is an adequate press for loading pistol and not so good for rifle, at least in my experience. I have owned at least one of each Lee press(s) made and my favorite is a LCC Turret press. Ive sense culled the flock so to speak and presently only have 4 presses left, not a single one of them a Lee. Not because I didn't like them, just because I don't load as much as I used to. Now I have (2) RCBS Rock Chuckers, Redding T-7 (did have two of those but my grandson has one now), and a Dillon 650 with casefeeder. Dillon gets the least attention these days.
    Got a LLM running extremely well and dedicated to .380 and she almost never had a hiccup, once I got her tuned up with Magic Mike's after market kits, a real pleasure to run. I had a total of (4) LLM's at one time and tinkered with all of them. If I was to get back into the LLM, it would be by following the "rules of engagement" as expressed by those who make them sing (jmorris, magic mike, ect.).

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I believe the sentence was, hundreds to thousands, not hundreds of.
    I have seen a number of photos of benches that have a few thousand dollars worth of Dillons sitting on them. In my wildest dreams I couldn't picture me getting to the point of needing that much equipment.

Boolit Master
    I've owned several over the last decade, as well as other brands of progressives. The loadmasters weren't the worst I've used, but I never had a great experience with them either. The priming system was always the big issue, they've improved it over the life of the press, but every time I upgraded, I was again disappointed. I haven't tried the newest update to the priming system, call it frustration, or perhaps complacency. I've got other presses that work, so the loadmaster sits in a box. I need to dig it out and sell it one of these days.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    I would actually advise NOT to post pics of your reloading room .. Some might be on here cruising for info that you do not want out
    I sincerely doubt that there is anyone on earth cruising Cast Boolits for EXIF data in order to do harm to forum members.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast