Load DataPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How are the new Lee Loadmasters?

Boolit Bub

How are the new Lee Loadmasters?

I'm really enjoying my LCT, but kicking around the idea of a progressive, and maybe a new Loadmaster

Obviously they get mixed reviews, but it seems like I've read that the newer versions have less issues. Are they worth trying with some of the fixes and mods out there? Just trying to get a sense of how likely it's just going to be a pita.

Boolit Master
    I suggest you take a look at the Pro 1000 too.
    Either way watch the setup vids here:
    https://leeprecision.com/help-videos.html

Edit:
    Commonly known by Pro 1000 owners is priming issues are related to the index adjustment, and is stated in the index adjustment video on the Lee website.
    The problem is most new Pro 1000 owners never look at any of the vids on the Lee website, get frustrated and post bad reviews.

The 2018 Pro 1000 design now has a index alignment pin, making priming issues less sensitive to index adjustment.
    For me it's a fix looking for a problem, found in new owners who fail to understand how the press adjusts/works...kind of idiot proof thru complexity.
    I guess that makes me a Lee critic now, but still enjoy using Lee stuff,
    jmo
    Last edited by Kenstone; 01-15-2018 at 12:47 PM.

Boolit Master
    I like my loadmaster very much it's a couple years old and came with the new primer system . I spent a lot of time figuring out how it works and spent a lot more time setting it up , but I am more than happy with it . If you are willing to do the research and put in the time with it you can load some nice ammunition with a loadmaster . Currently loading 38,357,45 auto , and 9 mm on a loadmaster .opcorn

Another thought. I think I would hold off as the rumor is that Lee will be coming out with a new 4 hole Pro1000 with some very nice improvements and will use the same turret heads.

Banned

My mother allways said if you have nothing good to say ______________. Id about bet anyone that brags on them has never used a Dillon or hornady progressive.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    My mother allways said if you have nothing good to say ______________. Id about bet anyone that brags on them has never used a Dillon or hornady progressive.
    And i bet there is nothing but the finest Zeiss scopes on all your rifles as well?
    Not all of us can afford a brand new F-150 with all the bells and whistles, we have to make do with a Toyota.
    I will continue to use the fine Lee Pro 1000 i have, that works, than linger on with a single stage press and wait for the time in the distant future when i might afford a Dillon, but thats just me.

Boolit Master

Well Lloyd you should have followed your Mother's advice.

Lee, Dillon and Hornady (I have one) have all improved their designs over the years. I guess none of them got it perfect on the first try.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Banned
    The problem with the Lee progressive is that it's too oddly shaped to be a paperweight and it isn't heavy enough to be a good boat anchor.

However, I don't wish to completely disparage the device, it IS a very effective tool to convert cash into frustration.

Banned

O/P asked a simple question. Crude ignorant reponses are not beneficial. The new model has not been out long. We know for a fact that many people are happily using Lee progressives but they require more owner involvement to make them run, but we know that can be done. Lot of info out their on their two models. I hope that the Lee new and improved progressive work well, as their price point is always excellent. I have two Lee classic turrets which are rightly praised by their owners, I know I love mine.

Boolit Grand Master
    Jmorris here on this forum got one to work reasonably well. They do need tweaking if you are up to that. He is quite a talented guy and has a lot of experience with many reloading tools. He is also a Dillon guy. Best advice I can give is to pm him and get his opinion....it is based on experience with more than just a Lee or just a Dillon or just a whatever.

Also, you will see some who prime off the press to get the Lee's they have to work with fewer problems. Not everyone, but some. To me, that defeats the purpose of a progressive and is not a compromise I would ever make. YMMV. Jmorris does not prime off the press.

Your mechanical abilities and disposition will affect your choice. Some people love tinkering. I am not one of them. I use Dillon progressives for that reason. But the Loadmaster can be make to work.

Also, when seeking advice ask the person giving it how many rounds a week they reload. Those who reload 2000 a year are in a different situation than those who reload 2000 a month. BTW, I have reloaded 4000 in a day so it is easier for me to justify a more robust machine. By robust, I mean one with a higher level of reliability and less affected by operator error (like a change in cadence).
    Don Verna

My Hornady LNL AP has taken a back seat the the Lee Classic Turret. Doubt I will ever entertain the cost of a Dillon.

You are correct. I never have used DILLON and most likely never will. The 2 Lee presses I have WORK perfectly fine so why should I spend the money just to satisfy you or any of the other reloading SNOBS.

Banned
    I will not disparage the Lee Classic Turret press or even the Turret press with auto index. They are good values.

However, at $230 the Loadmaster is not the bargain that it initially appears to be. It is about $200 less expensive than a Dillon 550 and that extra $200 for the Dillon is worth every penny.
    I'm not a snob and I hate to spend money but sometimes you just have to spend a bit more.
    Go to MidwayUSA and read the negative reviews on the Lee Loadmaster (there are a lot of them). I'm sure that some of those reports are from people that aren't mechanically inclined, but all of them ?
    I have some experience with the Lee progressives, you can make them work for a little while but there was always something broken or in need of adjustment.
    Lee didn't hit that $230 price point without cutting corners.

Dillon owners brag about their machines and the great Dillon service because, frankly, the machines and service are top notch.
    Same holds true for RCBS.

I'm just not impressed with Lee progressive presses and I'm sharing my opinion with others on this forum.

If you have a Lee progressive and like it,.....great.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I'm just not impressed with Lee progressive presses and I'm sharing my opinion with others on this forum.

If you have a Lee progressive and like it,.....great.
    Same can be said, "If you have a Dillon and like it,...... Great". I really don't care what you or anyone else owns because I don't have to use it.

I can add that I also own a GMC pickup that cost me a lot of money and it's been the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned. Back when, I've owned AMC Gremlins that were more reliable than this truck. So does that make al GMC trucks junk? But for what it's worth I wouldn't buy a Loadmaster either though I would buy another Pro1000.

OP: Was thinking about getting an AR, what do you think?
    Res: That's worthless u should get a mounted 50 Cal, it works better????????

OP, I enjoy using my LoadMaster, i'm newer than everyone here but for what i spent i'm happy 1-2000 Rounds (Handgun) month.
    Have not ventured into Rifles yet with the LoadMaster, so i cant say.
    Today I Learned That I know less than I Thought.
    Tommorow will be the same, I'm Sure!!

Boolit Master

I deprime and size on the Lee 1000. Clean, trim, and prime off press and then load on the Lee 1000. It may not work for everybody, but I ain't everybody. Dang fine press
    I have a Dillion bought second hand, dang fine press.
    Also have RCBS Jr., bought in 1985, that press will not go anywhere has long I can remain above ground!
    All reloading presses single, and progressive, have a learning curve, learn it and you will be fine, don't then let the cuss words fly.
    Just my opinion, that and $2.00 will get you a cup of coffee at most places.

Boolit Master
    Check out this Dillon thread...
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...lon-550-vs-650
    You won't see any Lee owners trolling there...know why?
    We don't do it,

Threads like this one tend to grow my ignore list.
    Last edited by Kenstone; 01-15-2018 at 12:50 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a loadmaster for a few years and started on my dads pro 1000 and would greatly recommend the pro 1000 and crimp on a single stage if you really need to crimp as a separate step. The loadmaster is a third the press my 650 is at half the price the pro 1000 is better than half the press at a third the price.

Boolit Master
    When I posted earlier , I thought this would happen , it took a couple days but it turned ugly . I picked up a Dillon 550 a few months after I got the loadmaster set up and figured out how it liked to be used and I can honestly say both of them are setting on the bench right beside each other without fighting they get along fine .

Boolit Master
    I posted twice

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast