Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: Hornady LnL Adapter Bushing Question

Boolit Buddy

Hornady LnL Adapter Bushing Question

I thought I'd try this system out on my new-ish Lee Classic Cast O-ring press. It's a perfect fit and seems to work pretty well, but I was wondering what one would use as a wrench to tighten it down without marking it up. I put an RCBS die in one of the inserts, inserted it part way tighten the adapter bushing with that, but then the die gets really tight into the insert and was hard to remove. I managed it using some lead soft jaws on my bench vise but there ought to be an easier way. I suppose you could make a broad bladed tool that spans the insert and use that to tighten and remove it, but I was wondering what others had come up with. I see Hornady has a multi purpose wrench they sell but couldn't tell if it worked for this application or not.

Otherwise, I think it works pretty well and the conversion didn't cost an arm and a leg or require permanent modification to the press itself. I especially like it for attaching and removing the NOE sizing die set, since it goes in upside down and used to require some fairly tedious screwing in and out.

Boolit Buddy

I use a Hornady die with a Hornady split lock ring tightened down, Hornady Lock-N-Load Die Bushing installed. Install the die and use a die wrench to tighten everything down in the press.
    Unscrew the die and it pops out leaving adapter bushing nice and tight. I have done this for 2 presses so far.

You don't really want that adapter bushing too tight. I screw them into my Hand Presses using a die bushing as a tool, and just come up to the point where they stop turning and then back off and a quick flip against the stop and they are good to go.

For times that I want the bushing in there semi Permanently I use a 7/8-14 bolt screwed into a die bushing and a wrench to lock it down tight.

If you over tighten the bushing it will be very hard to get out if you need to.(unless you have the tool.) You will need to if you want to use oversized dies in the press. (Lee .338 Lapua etc.)

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Channel locks work fine lol.