MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Paper Patched Venison with a Flintlock

Boolit Master

Paper Patched Venison with a Flintlock

I want to again thank Idahoron for sharing his paper patching process with us on the forum. I took a nice fat doe tonight with my 50 cal "flinchlock" using a paperpatched bullet. Not the biggest doe by any measure, but I was very happy with taking it the night before season close with a winter storm blowing in with high winds, rain and ice on the way... take what is presented and be happy. I was shooting a 460 grain conical wrapped with two wraps of #9 onion skin sized to .500 atop a home cut felt wad and 80 grains of Swiss FFF powder.... I had previously sized down to .495 using a Lee .500 S&W bullet, but after breaking in the new barrel and smoothing it up it was too small for hunting purposes and I went with the .500 conicals from the mountain mold... wasn't exactly bang flop, but she only went about 30 yards, leaving a blood trail that Helen Keller could have followed...Thanks again Ron... doubt that any of my muzzleloaders will ever have anything but paperpatched boolits shot from them.

Hope all had a good season and happy new year to all.

Kindest regards,

TheMoose
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Buddy
    Pics or it didn’t happen

Boolit Master
    That is flat out awesome. I like hearing when guys have success with their paper patching. Ya I got you interested but you did it. Your load, your bullets. You are like a lot of guys I helped to get started. You took what I was doing and made it your own to fit your needs. You deserve the credit for changing what I did to make it work for you. Congratulations!!

Quote Originally Posted by Themoose View Post
    I want to again thank Idahoron for sharing his paper patching process with us on the forum. I took a nice fat doe tonight with my 50 cal "flinchlock" using a paperpatched bullet. Not the biggest doe by any measure, but I was very happy with taking it the night before season close with a winter storm blowing in with high winds, rain and ice on the way... take what is presented and be happy. I was shooting a 460 grain conical wrapped with two wraps of #9 onion skin sized to .500 atop a home cut felt wad and 80 grains of Swiss FFF powder.... I had previously sized down to .495 using a Lee .500 S&W bullet, but after breaking in the new barrel and smoothing it up it was too small for hunting purposes and I went with the .500 conicals from the mountain mold... wasn't exactly bang flop, but she only went about 30 yards, leaving a blood trail that Helen Keller could have followed...Thanks again Ron... doubt that any of my muzzleloaders will ever have anything but paperpatched boolits shot from them.

Hope all had a good season and happy new year to all.

Kindest regards,

TheMoose
    Are you seeing any significant vertical stringing at longer ranges?

Boolit Master
    Good Cheer,

I am nearing 70 with fading peepers, shooting a flintlock her in PA requires only open sights... given that I have never tried to do any target work past 50 yds... so I really don't have an answer from range experience... I would assume that it definitely has a rainbow trajectory given the weight and velocity... my favorite deer hunting tool is a Knight 45 Disc rifle that I shoot a 407 gr paper patched bullet with Triple &.. I have a 10x SWFA Super Sniper Mil-Mil scope atop it... I can shoot it out easily to 200 yds with precision... when I know the range... guessing the flintlock would be the same if I could see and know the yardage..
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Master
    Hay this deer meat taste like onion ! Just kidding. Got to love those last hours before weather change and end of season. I am going to try paper patching soon
    Last edited by jim 44-40; 01-13-2018 at 09:51 PM.

Good Cheer,

I am nearing 70 with fading peepers, shooting a flintlock her in PA requires only open sights... given that I have never tried to do any target work past 50 yds... so I really don't have an answer from range experience... I would assume that it definitely has a rainbow trajectory given the weight and velocity... my favorite deer hunting tool is a Knight 45 Disc rifle that I shoot a 407 gr paper patched bullet with Triple &.. I have a 10x SWFA Super Sniper Mil-Mil scope atop it... I can shoot it out easily to 200 yds with precision... when I know the range... guessing the flintlock would be the same if I could see and know the yardage..
    Hey there.
    Just asked 'cause I'm working towards getting a fast twist flinter working. I'm anticipating variations in elevation due to irregular back flow. But puffs in the puddin' so we'll see. And my new glasses should be in next week so maybe I can see!

Boolit Master
    Good Cheer,

I'm curious now... what do you mean by irregular back flow? I only shot for groups @ 50 in working up loads... had one that put 3 touching so don't think there was that much variance... I did shoot some out to 100, but didn't try to shoot for groups as I was having trouble making out target with iron sights, but could keep them inside a paper plate(using a rest, of course). My flinter has a 1:28 twist.

Well, what I been thinking is that when I get on out there distance wise the small differences will be magnified just like with any reloads.
    And that the flinter flash hole is large enough to produce substantial back flow which will not behave in an identical manner from shot to shot because the powder charge will be in the process of converting from solid to a clot filled plasma of gaseous and solid combustion products, liquefied potassium nitrate and sulfur... Any how, puzzling over it I'm expecting vertical dispersion. With open sights and only a 28" barrel for a sight radius I might never know the difference but eventually I'll get around to using a clamp on type set of scope mounts.

Boolit Master

With the back pressure from shooting heavy weight boolits I would think that you would burn a flintlock touch hole out pretty quick. It takes about 20 rounds to burn out a standard steel nipple in one of the long range Gibbs rifles. Even the Beryllium nipples only last about 200 rounds. There are some exotic SS alloys that will hold up for a 1000 or so, or the platinum lined nipples but they are major expensive.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Yep, just gonna have to try it and see.
    Being a TC all I have to do is drill holes through socket head set screws to make a handful of flash hole liners.
    Hopefully the lateral thrust from the flash hole will not require windage adjustment!
    If the long boolits don't work with heavy charges then there's the .515 round ball mold waiting on the shelf.

Yeah, congratulations on your success. But where are the photos? Huh!
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Master
    I'm not a computer person and struggle just doing anything beyond basic tasks. I guess that if they were braggin' bucks I would figure out how to get someone to show the world my "trophies". I merely shot meat for the freezer.

Boolit Master

I'm not a computer person and struggle just doing anything beyond basic tasks. I guess that if they were braggin' bucks I would figure out how to get someone to show the world my "trophies". I merely shot meat for the freezer.
    Nothing wrong with putting meat in the freezer, that is why I hunt.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Man
    Nice job. The late flintlock season is my favorite. And most productive. The deers are getting back to normal and usually no one else has in the woods. However. PA was a bit chilly this season. The warmest my hands got were while gutting a doe.