Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hand priming with progressive press

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I'm not a progressive user/owner (but I did help a friend make up some ammo on his Dillon) so my post is prolly worth what you pay for it. Anyway, isn't this "hand work" prior to using the press defeating the purpose of a progressive (auto priming, auto charging, auto, everything else)?
    Bingo.

If you must do any operation except for case cleaning off the press, the press is defective or not adjusted properly. Having owned 10 progressive presses, only one was a ***....an RCBS Green Machine. But I have never owned a Lee or Hornady.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Bingo.

If you must do any operation except for case cleaning off the press, the press is defective or not adjusted properly. Having owned 10 progressive presses, only one was a ***....an RCBS Green Machine. But I have never owned a Lee or Hornady.
    I an sitting in front of the telly anyway, how can i waste time worse than that while priming wth a handtool?

Can only speak about the LNL progressive,,,but if you ever get a hic up in priming, you just dumped powder throughout the press. It will lock the system up in mid stroke. All it takes is a tight primer pocket, dirt from a primer, or a grain of media to lock it up..Hence the reason, I deprime and clean ( SS media) and prime off press. YMMV.

I keep repeating this and guess I'll do it again. It makes no difference to me what kind of equipment you use or what kind of equipment you despise. If you have an affliction for something then explain why, don't just put it out there that something is junk with no explanation as to why. That proves nothing and doesn't advance an argument either way. If you are doing something different than the way I'm doing it then so what! I just don't understand all this chest thumping that goes on between reloaders.

I first started loading in 1980 on a Bonanza single stage press and all I loaded for was the 357mag pistol I had. This was way before this wonder called the internet and open forums. The Bonanza was slow and clunky for doing a bunch of pistol rounds at a time but it was all I knew. I then got out for quite a long time but when I came back there was the internet and boy did I do some reading, watching and asking questions.

Today I have 3 presses, an RCBS JR3, a Lee 3 hole Value Turret with the Auto Index and a Lee Pro1000. Right now the RCBS isn't even bolted to the bench. When I started up again I first found and purchased the Lee Pro1000 because it was used, complete and at a price I couldn't pass up. What I really wanted was a turret press but I couldn't find one that included everything the Pro1000 did for the money. And yes I did do my do diligence on the Pro1000, I knew it's reputation and it's short comings. I also looked it over and seen that it is also the simplest design with the fewest moving/adjustable parts of all the progressives in the market. After this time that I've had it I still believe I made the right choice for me. I has done everything I have asked of it and has done so reliably.

To those that bad mouth it or talk it down but have never used it, just shut up. Those that have used it and feel that way I'm sorry your experience didn't work out. But please for the newb's that are looking at it for a press then please explain why you dislike the press, explain what problems you've had and not just post, it sucks, stay away!, and then walk away from the statement.

BTW, I do prime on all my presses and don't intend on changing my practice. The presses I own do everything I need and I am also not going to change that. I also don't see myself outgrowing either of these two presses. The volume and big budget are just not there. So enjoy!

A well rounded, experienced and truly savvy handloader can take any jumble of equipment available and start knocking out safe and dependable loads. If he meets resistance he figures a work-around. If he has a problem...find's a solution...with patience, insight, knowledge and skill this man endeavors to persevere. He has admirable qualities and talent.
    In the end he can and will give you an honest opinion of what needs to be done to make the process work better, based on resources etc.
    On the other hand...there's the guy who is confronted with issues and immediately starts looking for a rope for his newest boat anchor.
    After that you'll never hear the end of it...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I agree and really don’t care if one were to only place one case in a progressive shell plate at a time and only perform one operation per pass through the machine. Not how they were designed or intended to work but I am old enough to know there are different strokes for different folks.

I was just pointing out that the safer (less lead dust) ultrasonic cleaner wasn’t doing much good when he is sitting there watching TV knocking primers out. Much less potential exposure, when using a progressive as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I agree and really don’t care if one were to only place one case in a progressive shell plate at a time .
    I find it funny that you mention this as when I bought my Pro1000 it was set up for 38/357mag and the case feeder would not work with the smaller 9mm shells so I did just that for a long time. Hand place one case at a time into the shellplate. Though I did just recently ordered the new parts to run the small cases and what a difference. Should have done it sooner.

Boolit Grand Master

I can take a empty case right off of the ground and run it through my Dillon and make a loaded round out of it. It will function and shoot just fine. But there are a few things that can jam up the process. One of them is getting a military case with a crimped primer mixed up in a batch of cases. Not a problem with a 1050 but it is a problem with most other presses. Another problem is getting a small primer 45 case accidently mixed in with a batch of large primer cases. So I usually tumble, resize and prime my cases before running them through my Dillon. Some say that it defeats the purpose of having a progressive press but its still faster than using a single stage press. This method also gives me the opportunity to inspect the case before its loaded.

Boolit Grand Master

My previous post wasn't meant to criticize progressive press users, just a question, hence the "?"...

A friend was shooting competition and often needed a few hundred rounds, so I helped and ran/used his Dillon (don't know what model, I just pulled the handle). For his use that machine was perfect. But it would have not been very helpful if he had to do some hand work on the case.cartridge before using the press. Thus my question...

FWIW; My favorite press is my Coo-Ax with a Lee turret a close runner up...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Never had a need to prime manually. Both my 550 and 650 do this job just fine.

You can prolly answer your own question if you think about it some...

Say, someone is forced to or has gone voluntarily to hand priming for his progressive. How does this one aspect affect the output or the value of the press? Once the shell plate is full your getting one cartridge for each pull...the progressive is just as valuable and worthwhile to the loader as it was before.

There is no press on the market where you bring it home...pour in powder, primer, case & cast and then park your butt in front of the TV and start yankin it's crank. They don't makem, never did.
    You must pay attention to detail and that requires some time and effort...seems as though time and effort are the hardest supplies for some people to find these days.

So the premise must really be..."If you can't do it the way you say it oughta work, then...it's worthless!"

Like I said earlier, we need an Annual BrassStuffers Rodeo to put all this whining to rest.

Say, someone is forced to or has gone voluntarily to hand priming for his progressive. How does this one aspect affect the output or the value of the press? Once the shell plate is full your getting one cartridge for each pull...the progressive is just as valuable and worthwhile to the loader as it was before.
    “Value” is qualitative so with vary with opinions, same thing with fast or slow.

How output is changed is something we can put a number on, if we know a few variables. In any case, it’s pretty easy to see if we run one pass to deprime and another to load, we just cut our output in half and doubled our work for 100 rounds.

Even if we didn’t take the time to hand prime.

I look at it differently and I don't put too much emphasis on any one distraction to your production numbers. Distractions are just problems to solve in the average garage loading room. We haven't the need for a 5 gallon bucket of rounds by the end of the day.

I've been looking at complete rounds in terms of 'numbers of times you have to pull your crank'. When I compare that to the Rock Chucker or turret, 2 pulls using a modified process with a progressive is pretty good. Like I said...I don't have to fill quotas within time restraints and I make more ammo and components than I currently use.

I didn't get into loading so I could save time making it...I enjoy the process and it's part of the game. When I go through the rounds and case check them I'm feeling a sense of accomplishment and I'm proud of what I've done and the ammo I'm putting in cases. I've already got satisfaction before I ever get to the range.

Morris...you have to do some work and pay attention to detail before you bring cases to the automated automatic progressives you run...you know, making sure there's no mixed primer sizes, cases are empty, serviceable and the like.
    What's the difference that another brings his cases to the progressive with the primers installed?

All the work has to be done one way or the other.
    Last edited by OS OK; 01-16-2018 at 03:19 PM.

All the work has to be done, this is true, the difference is how you do it. When you have automated or automatic processes it really doesn’t matter how many operations occur because you don’t have to do them, Time won’t matter as much if you do them concurrently.

Same thing thing with a progressive ran manually assuming you are doing all operations. It’s not “wrong” to do it how ever you want to but 2 strokes vs 1 is twice the work. No way around that.

Boolit Grand Master

It does a little bit. I just don't feel safe priming on a press, plus they say not to use federal primers, which are my favorite kind. I am still using everything else though, auto charging, auto seating, and auto crimping. All I'm doing is priming first, and then feeding bullets by hand (my cast bullets are too long for the bullet feeder).

Boolit Buddy
    To each his own, I guess. I feel much safer priming on a press when my hands and eyes are much farther from potential accident also I've tried a lot of brands of primers: CCI, Federal, Remington, Tula, S&B - never had primer specific problems. I did have primers go sideways few times usually one can tell something is wrong.

Boolit Buddy

I had a pro 1000 also never could get the priming system working , but I always prefered to hand prime anyway
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

I just don't feel safe priming on a press...
    I feel much safer priming on a press...
    That’s all that really matters, do what feels right to you.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I just got a Lee Pro 1000, and unlike so many others, my primer feed actually seems to work properly. The problem is, like all press priming setups, I just don't like how you can't feel it seat positively. I have always preferred to hand prime, I feel more confident they are seated properly, and it seems safer. I am trying to think of a way to run brass without wasting time. I also like to clean brass in an ultrasonic cleaner, and so far I have been using a universal de-capping die first, cleaning, then resizing before priming (no need to clean primer pockets with the ultrasonic cleaner). I have thought about doing the same thing, but then removing the resizing die from the press when I go to load ammo. It seems like there must be a faster way. I could simply resize, clean, then prime, but I'll be resizing dirty brass. Any ideas from other hand primers out there?
    Not going to say this is best way, just that it works with not a lot of extra work I deprime using lee universal primer remover. hen clean using fine walnut and NU Finish. next I neck size and prime They are ready to load at this point,,

Banned

have to agree. If your going to hand prime rifle ammo you might as well use a single stage press or set up two one for sizing and one for seating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Eugene View Post
    Progressivess are not for everybody, or eveything. If you can't bring yourself to prime on your progressive press then why bother with it at all? I also only load my mass quantities of handgun blasting ammo on my LNL. Any rifle ammo, hunting rounds, or target all get loaded on my rock chucker. I don't expect one tool to do every job I need done no more than I expect on gun to cover all my shooting needs. If I had to one press would and could cover everything I need as also could one bolt action 30\06 could cover all my shooting needs, but then where is the fun in that?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast