Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: Super durable wet black

Boolit Bub

Super durable wet black

Been using grass green from powder by the pound with pretty good results but I've been reading how much everybody likes super durable wet black so I figured I would give it a try. Bullets were frosty and the first coat was pretty spotty. The pic is after second coat. I used the tumble method to coat. Didn't change anything but the powder. Did I get a bad batch or something?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Banned
    for some reason, black is harder to get good results than some other colors

Correct black airsoft BB's (be safe and get them from smoke a VS here, alot of the store bought BB's don't work)

#5 container
    Pick up a set of these from Amazon, larger size allows better static build-up
    Set of 4 SOGO 95oz/3qt Round BPA-Free Food Storage Containers (White) $5.20 & FREE Shipping

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Humidity may have a little to do with it also
    try pre-warming the boolits- set on a baking tray/screen, set the tray on spacers (I use another oven rack) on top of oven until
    boolits are warm to touch ( you can warm them in the oven but DON"T get them too hot or you'll have a glob of boolits and pc *don't ask me how I know * you should be able to touch them bare handed without a trip to the hospital)

Boolit Bub
    I live in south Louisiana so humidity is always high and I have had better coverage with HF red. I've been using #2 containers because I have been unable to find a round #5. I just ran a batch using my tumbler and it looked like the coverage was better. They are in the oven now. I had read lots of people having the best results using this powder. Next time I'm just gonna go with smokes powder and bbs.

Boolit Bub
    Came out much better using the tumbler....

Boolit Master

yes, much nicer.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Looks good

Boolit Master
    I spray it. No issues
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Bub
    I get good enough results tumbling. No need to get into spraying.

Boolit Bub
    Do y'all think adding bbs from smokes would allow me to get a slightly thicker coat?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by toddn84 View Post
    Do y'all think adding bbs from smokes would allow me to get a slightly thicker coat?

I use the BB's from Smoke along with his powders. I have observed very little difference between using the BB's and not using them. I have gotten full coverage using a Tupperware #5 bowl and Smokes Carolina Blue, Traffic Purple and Pink. I cannot imagine doing this if I had to coat and cook twice! I am not trying to bash any PC manufacturer but am only offering my experiences.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Banned

I quit using plastic bbs. I figure the lead bullets bumping up against each other is going to pound more pc onto a bullet then a plastic pellet. Seems like ive gotten better coverage since I started doing it that way. Or at least can tumble a shorter amount of time. 15 minutes in a Frankfort arsenal vibrating "tumbler" with smokes black and I get perfect coverage without a second coat. Before I started not using anything I went to lead #4 buckshot instead of plastic and it worked well too but bottom line it does at least as well with nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I use the BB's from Smoke along with his powders. I have observed very little difference between using the BB's and not using them. I have gotten full coverage using a Tupperware #5 bowl and Smokes Carolina Blue, Traffic Purple and Pink. I cannot imagine doing this if I had to coat and cook twice! I am not trying to bash any PC manufacturer but am only offering my experiences.

Boolit Buddy
    I used bbs with good effect for a few batches, but picking (with tweezers) about 25 of them out of the noses of some hps I was working on made me rethink my technique. I tumbled the hps without bbs and the coating looked as good as what I was getting with them. I've been using just boolits the last few batches. I'm starting to think I like smoke's clear as well as anything.

Banned
    In my opinion, You don't really want a thicker coat, a couple thin coats will get you a much smoother finish.
    I don't see a problem with the boolit in #4. The lube grooves don't need to be coated.

Boolit Master

#4 looks great!

time to load and shoot them
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place