Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Problem today with PC

Boolit Buddy

Problem today with PC

I have been Pc'ing for several years now using the ESPC sytem and also had great results. For some reason today the powder would not adhere to the boolits. tried a new bottle of powder and it stiil had lots of lead showing after the pc. Tried a cast iron bottle opener I was wanting to Pc and it worked good. I did clean off the boolits good with acetone so I am sure they were not contaminated.What goes..... any ideas.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Did you remember to attach the ground wire to your rack? (Don't ask me how I know!)

Boolit Buddy
    Yes I did Banger. this really had me disappointed today as I had over 500 boolits to do but stopped after two batches failed to adhere. I even did them a second time and still did not cover correctly. Has me stumped. temp was around 50 so I do not feel it was too cold. I actually was getting little dots on the foil I had them on that was almost like something was coming out of the gun and causing the dots. I do have a dryer on my gun so I figured it was not water.

Boolit Master
    First. Check to see if the high voltage is present, a spark should be there at coating gun out put and the bullet resting fixture or tray.
    Replace the dryer or the dryer element, even add a second dryer below the pressure regulator, low pressure side, to make sure water is not in the air.
    Tried the parchment paper one time, did not work since the paper was conducting electricity. Went back to the non-stick aluminum foil.

Had the ground wire come loose at the crimped on wire connection one time, took me a while to figure out the problem why there was not a spark from the aluminum foil.

Agree in the static wire, my first unit went kaput, took it back to Harbour Freight and got a new one and all is good

Boolit Buddy
    I am getting a spark when I get too close to the foil or boolits so I have to assume that is not the problem either. It was strange though, although probably not related, when I got a spark on the top of the boolit , the powder ,would not cover that mark no matter how much I dumped on top of it

Try cleaning the gun barrel, pickup tube and electrode. Make sure the ground on the gun itself is good. It does sound like the boolits didn't have a good ground, I had to change clips on the gnd wire.
    Whatever!

Have you been keeping that powder sealed up in a container or just depending on the zipper apparatus of a zip-lock baggie?

I don't ES spray, I tumble but, moisture in the powder should affect both methods.
    Not long ago I didn't close completely one of my containers that have the powder and BB's in it...the powder must have taken on some moisture content, it even had a different looking texture to it...anyway, I changed it out for more fresh powder and all was good.

Like I said, I don't ES so I'm just 'spitwadding' here.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    I will have to look at the ground wire. As far as the powder not being sealed I used a previously opened jar with screw lid then tried a new unopened jar from Eastwood and had the same issues with both. If the ground was no good would I still get the spark when I get close to the foil and/or boolits ? I also did blow out the tube and gun real good before I tried it the second time. Possibly too much moisture in the air ?

I've ESPCd with old used powder, no problems, even with raining. I've never seen dropplets of powder on the foil before. The flow control on mine 'leaks' a bit and won't give proper pressure at the tube. Should be able to get a 'puff' or a good flow of powder from the tube. any spiders in the tube?
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Getting plenty of powder to the boolits just won't adhere to them . I sprayed enough powder that covered the foil and top of boolits but it never stuck to the sides and lube groove area. Still really stumped on this one, I was really liking PC over standard lubing. Hope this goes away next time.

IMO, if you are getting a static charge and the pc won't stick, then I would look at the bullets being contaminated. Try washing in acetone. I'm like Popper, here in Florida the humidity is like rain rear round. I have never had problems spraying when the equipment is working and the bullets are clean..

Good Luck

Boolit Buddy
    All great suggestions but unfortunately I did also rinse them off in acetone prior to "trying " to PC. Maybe I did not clean them as good as I should have so I will have to try again as soon as it warms a little to make sure it was not a combination of all the above or just a ghost that was there that day. Appreciate all the help.

Vendor Sponsor

Check your air dryer/ water filter on the compressor line. I am thinking you may have moisture buildup in your hose
    Hence the colored dots (wet powder)
    I did see where you have a dryer at the gun but they can be easily out taxed by all the moisture in the line. Best to have a good dryer at the compressor as well.
    Easy to check though. Disconnect the gun from the hose . take some tissue paper and stick down hose pull out and look for moisture
    Or point hose only at some paper and run for 10 to 15 seconds lookung for water drops
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 01-14-2018 at 10:10 AM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Have you drained your compressor tank?
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Yes I did. Thanks also Smoke. I now have several things to look at a little closer. Moisture in the line and ground not being good enough seems to be the most logical answers. I will try them both and keep you all posted.
    Last edited by pt4u2nv; 01-14-2018 at 11:41 AM.

Boolit Master
    If your compressor has a water filter at the tank, it will still let some water through. If and when I use a water separator, I put it out toward the end of the line. That way, the compressed air has time to cool in the hose or lines. The hot air will hold a lot of moisture and the only good way to get it out is to cool the air FIRST.

Boolit Buddy
    Update to my PC issue. I added another moisture filter at the gun end and problem went away. want to thank you all for the answers to my problem. All is good again. Now if I could just get this 44 Mag to stop leading !!

Vendor Sponsor

Wonderful .. the colored dots were the give away to me
    either way glad your issue is solved
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I found using a long air hose helps with the water problems and keeps the dryer working longer, I have run 100 feet of hose looped giving the air lots of time to cool off releasing the moisture which settles in the low parts of the hose.
    I have a large compressor and a oil / air filter but still have issues from time to time with moisture using the longer hose helped me out. When I am done spraying and I turn up the psi to clean the gun and the rest of my stuff up if you look good you will see the moisture coming out of the hose flushing it out I guess you would call it.

Good to see you got the problem fixed and I am sure others got some insight on what to look out for.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon