RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lyman mold description.

Boolit Buddy

Lyman mold description.

I'm looking at lyman 311359 mold and nearly everywhere I look it's listed as .309-.312, I don't understand how or why they would list a mold in that range of sizes. I'm pretty green at this but I honestly don't understand. I realize different alloys throw different sizes. But is that why? Or can I order a mold that drops .313 or is it luck of the draw? Does anyone know or should I just call lyman. As much as I have their products they're the only maker of a mold that I need.

There are a couple of top notch mold makers that I am familiar with, having molds from each,

Accurate molds; tom@accuratemolds.com

NOE; noebulletmoulds@gmail.com

They are capable of making what you want and it will drop the dia. you desire based on the alloy you specify.

There are a few others, but these two I can say, "I use their products and they are A-One."

Moderator Emeritus

Some people will tell you that some Lyman molds will drop under-spec boolits.

If you use a alloy with less than 5% antimony and if you tend to cast HOT, you may well get under-spec boolits.

If you cast with Lyman #2 alloy(95-5-5), a 311359 mold should drop a .311 boolit.

If you are asking for experience, I haven't cast with a 311359. But I do own a lyman 313226 and it casts a .3135 boolit. I also have a older 225415 and that casts a .2250 boolit.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Same Mold will throw a little larger or smaller according to how hard you are squeezing the Handles together.

Same Model-Number Mold from the same Manufacturer, will throw a little larger or smaller, from one Mold to the next.

Generally one simply gets the Mold, sees what it throws ( according to how hard one is squeezing the Handles ), then, sizes accordingly, or as needed, if needed.

Boolit Master
    Its designed with deep enough grease grooves that it can be sized down to .309. I have one of those molds and it drops out at .312 if I remember right. I use to load it in a .32/20 sized to .311 but I also use it in a .300 blackout, .30-30, and .30-06 sized to .309. Its a great little bullet. One load I have for the blackout pretty much duplicates a .32/20 using the same 311359 bullet.