RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: ".32 S&W" stamped .32 S&W Long?

".32 S&W" stamped .32 S&W Long?

Brass rats we all are we end up with an odd assortment of brass, dad is the .327/.32 lover in the family and I recently picked up a bunch of .32 brass at the range. Most of it looks to be "GFL" but all of it is .32 S&W LONG length but its only stamped ".32 S&W"....which is a lot shorter....so why is it stamped differently?....or rather incorrectly?

is this a common practice with this caliber?

I'm gonna load up some plinker loads with these so I have some fodder next time I get to play with the .327 Mag single action, its surprised me how sweet of a shooter it is first time I got to play with it.
    My firearms project blog

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My Fiocchi brass is headstamp GFL .32 S&W WC so I presume was from wadcutter ammo. Good brass.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

My issue was the other way around.

Gun I bought on Gunbroker was id'd on barrel as .32sw period. No long.

Yet the cylinder easy accepts .32SW Long ammo. Looking at the inside of the cylinder I think someone reamed it out to take the longer ammo.

Now I am shooting pretty mild loads in it, and zero intention to do otherwise.
    Book says 1.8 to 3.5 grains of Red Dot depending on bullet and bullet weight.

I'm loading a flat 2.0 and I am quite satisfied with them.

Essentially a .32SW short load in a long brass.

I would not mind finding a nice pistol with a longer barrel in .32sw long or even .32H&R mag. As I could always still shoot the shorter ammo in them. They seem to be a little harder to come by.

Ruger Single Six's in .32 H&R mag are out there in numbers, but seem to be a bit higher priced than I really am interested in spending to scratch that itch.

Also there are some older H&R R73's 5 shot double action guns out there, tend to be shorter barrels than I am looking for.

Who knows where this new .32 bug is going to take me. Interesting stuff, and fun to shoot!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    My issue was the other way around.

Gun I bought on Gunbroker was id'd on barrel as .32sw period. No long.

Yet the cylinder easy accepts .32SW Long ammo. Looking at the inside of the cylinder I think someone reamed it out to take the longer ammo.
    A lot of the older revolvers (especially the less expensive ones) had chambers bored straight through directly from the factory. They did not have a throat in the cylinder. I have owned many of them and the accuracy is just fair to pretty poor. That is probably what happened with yours.

Boolit Grand Master
    Be sure to go nowhere near 3.5 grains Red Dot in the 32 Long case!! That load data that suggests that is dangerously too much.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Be sure to go nowhere near 3.5 grains Red Dot in the 32 Long case!! That load data that suggests that is dangerously too much.
    This gets my vote, as well.

If someone wishes to shoot ALL of the 32 S&W-based cartridges in a currently-made firearm, the revolvers chambered in 327 Federal will accomodate them all--32 S&W, 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R Magnum, and 327 Federal.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Not to worry guys, ain't happening.

Stayin on 2 grains. No need for more power. Less is better.

Cylinder is still not bored straight through. Muzzle end is smaller diameter than the rear.

But there is a visible difference between the .32sw short cylinder and the .32sw long cylinder.

I guess I'll have to get the bore camera out. Take some pictures.

So survey says wadcutter brass? I'll have to dig into that a bit.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Grand Master
    I was able to acquire (at Ohio Gun Collectors' Association) a box of 32 S&W ammo in the blue and white S&W box. It is the short version. I'd dearly love to find a similar box of the long stuff, but AFAIK it doesn't seem to have been made, even though at the time S&W was making ammo, guns for the longer rounds were much more prevalent. I hadn't thought of mine being long but mismarked... maybe I'd better check.

Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 01-13-2018 at 03:57 PM.
    "It aint easy being green!"