WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingPBcastcoInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Star is fast

Star is fast

Got a old blue star. Read alot here about them made 50%Beeswax 50% Molly Grease lube. Had lathesmith make dies and top punches.Wow what a great output this has. alittle bit to set up and get the feel of but for anyone who is thinking of any other brand don't bother save up and get this one.magma engineering still makes these and will provide parts and tec support but check here first for parts.Lathesmith will make bullet specific dies just send him good cast samples (properly filled out and slightly larger than final sized diameter) and have a pile of bullets fast. My two are lee .452 160 gr and 255 gr flat nose. The above is my personal thoughts on the star and its use. Lathesmith makes very high quality parts.

Boolit Master

You got that right Old Two Wars! I got one several years ago then picked up another one a couple of years ago. That way I can keep one set up for what I use most and switch around with the other one ... or both. Be sure to write down distances from top of sizer die to base of boolit and then you can use a good caliper and measure right down to the thousandths of an inch to where the base of the boolit is supposed to be. My lube is my version of FWFL. Have to use an iron heater on the back of an aluminum plate upon which it is mounted. Plate is long enough that I can slide the electric iron back and forth for the necessary heat level. I don't use any add-on gadgets with either of mine but some cast boolit shooters are gung-ho about them. You won't regret getting the Star. Big Boomer
    Last edited by Big Boomer; 01-19-2018 at 12:56 PM.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I got a set of Lathesmith's punch nuts with set screws. That makes the top punch a set and forget situation.

For a heater I use a small oil pan heater I got from Amazon for about $12 and hook it to a lamp dimmer chord from Home Depot.
    I use a homemade version of Tac-1 from Randy Lee. I put too much carnuba in it and it requires a little heat.

Boolit Grand Master
    I tend to chuckle when the coating guys talk about how fast and easy coatings are. If you still need to size, NOTHING beats a Star. I "lost" my first one in a divorce...My ex's new husband had a yard sale and likely got $5 for it...he is an idiot. He sold some Adirondack chairs I made as well and got his *** chewed by my ex and son for that boo-boo.

I got a used Star and love it. Also used Lathesmith to get more dies and punches. He is a great resource.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

I have a "new to me" one that I have not used yet. I need to go see Lars and pick up some lube. Really looking forward to using this thing!