Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sams club closing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    One of the biggest fiascos that has ever ensued is having healthcare become an employer benefit. The employer does all they can to hold the monthly premiums down, meanwhile the coverage drops to the legal requirement while the co-pays and deductibles skyrocket. Care to take a guess what your auto insurance coverage would look like if it were up to your employer to buy it for you?

People are SO naïve . . . .

Healthcare will ONLY become affordable and satisfactory when it becomes susceptible to free market forces. That means when you, I and everyone else can shop around for the coverage that best suits us and our family WITHOUT the involvement of our employer and government.

Yeah I know. . . . https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=...pid%3D15.1&f=1
    I agree with you Sir..

Boolit Master

Hannibal, I don't think it's anyone's job to take care of me but me..there sure are a lot of people who want to stand in the way of that though. Time to quit the thread hijack. My apologies.

Moderator Emeritus

I can buy from Walmart online for less than it would cost me to make the 200 mile round rip to the nearest Sam's Club. Bulky stuff(bale of toilet paper, paper towels...), and things that weigh a lot like cat litter and food I have been buying online. I don't have to drag it around the store, then load it in my truck, then unload and carry it in my house. Instead it gets deposited in my front porch and all I have to do is unpack it and put it away. Compared prices and it cost me $4 more last week because the cat food was a little higher than in store price.

Allowing employers to become involved with healthcare coverage is one of the all-time biggest scams ever. Allegedly, the benefit to employer-sponsored healthcare was that by buying as a group, the benefits were bigger and the costs less. Horse hockey! The employer does all it can to keep the monthly premiums down while the coverages stay at legal minimums and the co-pays and deductibles skyrocket.

The ONLY was healthcare will EVER become affordable AND acceptable is when it is subjected to free market forces. Which means when you, I and everyone else can sit down and call healthcare insurance providers ourselves and purchase what makes the most economic sense for ourselves and our families WITHOUT the interference of our employers or government.

Yeah, I know . . . https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=...pid%3D15.1&f=1

In Remembrance
    I seem to remember when Sam was alive and running wallmart, nearly all of their employees were considered part time, only managers actually worked 40 hour weeks. They were kind of famous for that for several years.

Banned
    I went into Sam's once and wasn't thrilled with the idea of purchasing a membership simply to purchase in bulk. My line of thinking here...unless you have a very large family or your purchasing for an institution there is no need for them. Alter all who needs a 36oz container of Red Pepper flakes or Garlic powder?

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    I noticed where they were closing 3 of them in the Houston area. I'm not familiar with 2 of them, but the 3rd one, I've been there a couple of times over the years. It's the one located near where AstroWorld used to be. Even back then, it seemed a bit run down and then there were the street bums that hung out near there and other criminal elements of that part of town that made it less desirable. The news article I read said that they would possibly be converting some of them into stocking warehouses / distribution centers for Wal-Mart's new online shopping thing.
    That's the club that I go to. I have no idea where the other stores are in Houston either.
    I guess that I'll have to start using Costco over in Surgarland more often now.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Allowing employers to become involved with healthcare coverage is one of the all-time biggest scams ever. Allegedly, the benefit to employer-sponsored healthcare was that by buying as a group, the benefits were bigger and the costs less. Horse hockey! The employer does all it can to keep the monthly premiums down while the coverages stay at legal minimums and the co-pays and deductibles skyrocket.

The ONLY was healthcare will EVER become affordable AND acceptable is when it is subjected to free market forces. Which means when you, I and everyone else can sit down and call healthcare insurance providers ourselves and purchase what makes the most economic sense for ourselves and our families WITHOUT the interference of our employers or government.

Yeah, I know . . . https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=...pid%3D15.1&f=1
    Nope - the origin of employee health care was during WWII we had price and wage controls. The auto companies wanted to increase the wages but weren't allowed to - wage controls. So they started adding benefits - including health care. All of the rationalizations about cost benefits came later.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    Regardless of the forces at play, it's a natural part of the free market.

If particular Sams' club facilities are losing money then those facilities need to go. If Walmart can turn them into distribution centers and utilize the building that way, so be it. If not, they need to stop the bleeding and more forward with what is profitable.

Frankly, I gave up my Sams Club membership years ago. It wasn't worth the annual fee for the savings on what I was buying. On top of that, the location wasn't convenient and the cost in fuel and time made it even less attractive. I suspect I wasn't the only one to come to those conclusions.
    The concept of the warehouse type store isn't new and there are times when that model can be competitive. However, markets change and the rest of the retail establishments caught up to Walmart & Sams Club. I think Walmart is acting responsibly by staying profitable.
    Companies that didn't change or couldn't change, didn't stay around. Sears/K-Mart paid the price for poor leadership and outdated business models.
    I think Walmart is still healthy overall. It's far better to change and survive than to be dogmatic and die.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I don’t have a decent Walmart close to me except for Walmart Markets. There are some items I buy in bulk and Sams has a great price on the bulk items.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Sam's was originally free - had to have a free membership. Then the competition was loosing business and got the law changed. Kmart tried it and failed.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    OH yea, they did mention something about raising starting wages at wallmart to 11 bucks and change, whooptedo, I here Micky dee's starts out better than that.
    I used to work at Walmart. Starting pay was $9. I wouldn't do it again for $15 an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Nope - the origin of employee health care was during WWII we had price and wage controls. The auto companies wanted to increase the wages but weren't allowed to - wage controls. So they started adding benefits - including health care. All of the rationalizations about cost benefits came later.
    Never heard that before. I'll check into it. Thank you for the information.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    I have been seeing that but also hearing , they are increasing the starting wages and giving bonuses in the WalMart stores. Maybe they are closing the non profit stores. IDK
    This is most likely correct, closing non-profitable stores and relocating. I've never understood why they competed against each other and had stores side by side.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    One other thing I'll miss when we leave Kali; a Costco close by. For store-bought, it's hard to do better than Costco's meat.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    I went to SAMs in Prescott Valley, Arizona today. I could not find a parking spot, and there was a line going around the building to get in. I don't know what these dopes were thinking, but I got out of there fast.

In Remembrance
    I remember going to a globe store when they closed down and had the huge closeout sale. I do not know if they all turned out like the one in Pasadena, but shoppers totally destroyed that place, when I went in all the products were mostly pulled off the shelves and thrown in the floor, I could not hardly believe it, and this had to have been in the late 70's, early 80's at least.

In Remembrance
    Well it seems like everybody thinks they need to go to Sams before they close, one lane blocked, police turning folks away, the fire marshall has shut it down a couple of times today from what I understand. lol
    Maybe they should just stay open and announce they are closing every couple of months. lol

Post removed by user
    Last edited by Artful; 02-15-2018 at 11:19 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    We live 20 miles from a Sam's Club, and there is a Costco within 4 miles of that Sam's. Our community has 2 Walmart stores. About 4-5 years ago a block of land barely outside our city was bought with the announcement we were going to see a Sam's Club on that property. All this makes one think the locals like the wally-world experience. The Sam's that is 20 miles away will not be closing, and we have not heard anything about a local Sam's for a long time (that decision probably has changed). I usually enjoy getting into the Sam's store but won't buy their membership (daughter has one). That's probably a good thing since I usually over-shop when I go there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast