RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sks

Sks

Deleted
    Last edited by Desertbuck; 01-11-2018 at 04:11 PM.
    THE GUN
    The gun has been praised.
    The gun has been denounced.
    The gun has played a critical role in History.
    The gun has been implemented for good.
    The gun has been abused for evil.
    With the gun comes a great moral responsibility!
    To better understand the gun is to better under stand History. And with the gun protect your future.
    D.B

That's a shame, I always like talking about the SKS.

Banned
    how many of you use the same load data for 7.62x39 as you do for 300AAC BO

In my opinion, the stock is too short and the sights are crude. Would I trust my life to one? Absolutely. I've seen AK's and AR's jam but never an SKS.

Boolit Grand Master
    I like the short stocks. Perfect when I'm dressed up like the Michelan Man in winter. I replaced the original sights with the Williams "Fire Sights". Rear peep and a fiberoptic front. A real humdinger.

725- if I get another I will use those sights, graft a butt extension on, and install a firing pin spring for good measure. The ten shot magazine is perfect as is IMO.

Boolit Master

I wish I had kept one of the ones I bought years ago. Used to pick them up for about $70, just saw a nice one go today for $600!!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

$150 would get you a Norinco type 56 and 1000 rds of ammo in the mid 1980s!

I guess I like the shorter stock.

I have a couple of the Tapco duckbill 20 round mags but once I found some stripper clips I much prefer the standard 10 round mag. It would not be hard to make that magazine removable from the bottom, at least on my Yugo it would not be. Just a little piece of metal with 2 small spot welds. Dremel out the spot welds, that little piece of metal would pry right off. 2 work with a file smoothing and a little black magic marker and you'd never notice it had been done.

In theory.

Often wished I'd picked up a second one, prices are climbing now. Still a darn good rifle for moderate ranges and power levels for the money.

Boolit Grand Master
    Texas by God -- You will love 'em! Made me more accurate and faster with mine. Pretty easy to install, too.

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Texas by God -- You will love 'em! Made me more accurate and faster with mine. Pretty easy to install, too.
    I installed a set on my brother's Janet Reno Mak 90 AK back then and he loved them. My nephew has a new PSA AK that could use them because it shows promise.

Boolit Master

Back in the 80's, my brother bought a couple of the milled receiver Russian SKS's (one for himself and one for his teenage son). I shot the nephew's rifle one time at the range. My brother threw a tennis ball out to about 25 yards and I had no trouble keeping it rolling for one magazine. They were dirt cheap at the time and my brother tried his best to get me to buy one but I didn't and now I regret that. They were basically new rifles and handy little dudes. james

Boolit Master
    This is funny, deleted thread and we still find something to talk about. I guess that's what keeps this forum going. Just throw something out and somebody will pick it up and run.

Tough little rifles in my opinion.

Dave

Boolit Master

Getting my Sks in a few months from my brother in law. I cant wait to play with this riffle. I still need to finnish loads for my riffles I got last year XD.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Maybe it's just me, but the SKS seems to come to my shoulder and point more naturally than the AK or the AR.... I guess it depends on what you grew up on.... the safety is definitely located better than the AK's.

Ten rounds on semi-auto is a nice set-up if you don't have a super-power "Uncle" supplying you with ammo.

Now, if the Russkies had only necked that that cartridge down to 6mm.....................
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    $150 would get you a Norinco type 56 and 1000 rds of ammo in the mid 1980s!
    During the time in the 80's I had an FFL. I passed on the opportunity to purchase a pallet load of 144 SKS's priced at 39.00 each. I would have had to pick them up in person from a Chinese importer in Long Beach Ca. At the time the market here in Phoenix was loaded with SKS's retailing as low as 79.00. I couldn't see risking apx 5600. Turned out to be a wise decision as the SKS's were the newer cheaper versions lacking the chrome bore and pinned barrel. Can't recall the price but sure wish I had invested in the so called paratroopers model with folding stock with detachable AK mags.

Banned
    Put a folding stock on the Norinco, fits better now. Not a big fan of the "duck-billed magazine". I hear you can convert it to an AR style mag, maybe something to look at but, I have 6 magazines for it . I admit it , I hijacked (partially) a closed thread.
    Back to the question, do you use the same load data for yhour 7.62x39 as you do for your 300 AAC BO?

Boolit Master
    Mine was ugly as sin when I bought it but it is of the earliest and everything is milled that can be. I rebarreled it with a new yugo barrel and made a stock that I bedded the receiver as I thought should or could be with it. Worked over and over on the trigger until I liked it. With the wolf ammo I had it really did not shoot better. But with Larry Gibson's LVR loads it will give 2 inch groubs at 100. I have got inch and half a few times but was not repeatable.I really like mine !
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I had several of the duck billed mags , problem was you still couldn't remove then without the bolt locked back. Also tried one of the fixed 20 round mags, worked OK but was a little fussy to get to make dependable.. I found I was better off to run what it was designed for and be done with it.

Dave

Banned
    there was a fix to the mag removal with a closed bolt on the later rifles. the tang on the bottom of the bolt was machined down to where the mag would slip over it closed.. but i never really cared for the sks removable banana mags, they always did stupid **** in my experience and were not reliable. i had more than one round stand erect in the mag as the bolt was slamming closed with the add on mags.. there was an adapter if you can find it that allowed you to use the AK mags and that worked better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast