MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sks

Boolit Master
    Tapco makes detachable mags for the SKS now.
    I have not tried them yet but other stuff I have used from them works well.

+1 on the SKS does seem to shoulder better than an AK.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Like Beemer I have really not used my 20 round mags much.

Yes I know about opening up the bottom of the bolt, and I could have done it.

Mostly I just learned to appreciate it the way it was made.

Mine sits in the basement across the arms of a computer chair. Under it are 10 stripper clips loaded and ready. Action is locked back but the mag is loaded. Can't possibly fire as it is but it can be got into action dang quick. Tough old girls and dead simple to work with.

I did pick up a spare dust cover for mine and had a section of rail attached to it. Put a Truglo 2x Red Dot sight on it. Works like a charm and plenty accurate enough for me.

Banned
    i set my sks up with a side mount rail that bolts to the side of the receiver.. could never stand the dust cover rails.

Banned
    I remember when you could buy a wooden crate of 10 SKS rifles for $900 !

They were $89 each if you purchased the entire crate. They were caked in cosmoline and the crate looked like it had been used as ballast in a ship but that was the price.

The SKS was never high tech or high quality but it has its place.

With the right bullet, it's not a bad short range brush gun for deer. Sort of a semi-auto version of the .30-30 lever gun.
    The big trigger guard made it handy to use with gloves and the short stock was compatible with a heavy jacket.
    With the original integral magazine and the bayonet removed, it's a pretty handy rifle. And you don't have to worry about damaging it

Boolit Master
    I like the things! Somewhat out of character for me, but then it mounts like a rifle should, points well, dead reliable and accurate enough for its usable range and purpose. Whats not to like? I got mine in a trade, I have 0$ invested and it came in a plastic ramblings stock, right length fo me. Got all the parts and some 20 round mags. Aside from the plastic stock, I use it in original form, found it works best as designed. Actually that has been my experience with most proven devices
    I really had no interest in trading for it at thr time, now it has a permanent home, it earned its way.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Wow! Lol I love this place. You guys still managed to find something to talk about.
    I originally started this thread for asking about CB in SKS with IMR 4227 loads. I moved it to CB loads for military rifles. IMR 4227 is a waste of time if you want it to work semi automatically by the way. This powder is best left to shutting the gas valve off and working it as a straight pull.
    Well the SKS I have is a Yugo 59/66 I bought new in 2004 I was 18 years old at the time. Took me weeks to get all the cosmoline off, loved the smell! If had to do it all over again and had the know how. All the metal parts would be bathed in diesel and the stock wiped down with mineral spirits. It is my second favorite semi automatic rifle. And it shoots GOOD.
    The old SKS rode all over the place with me in my old crewcab 81 Chevy. She was my go to rifle for running coyotes and she was excellent at making ground squirrels do a disappearing act. POOF! Ha ha
    THE GUN
    The gun has been praised.
    The gun has been denounced.
    The gun has played a critical role in History.
    The gun has been implemented for good.
    The gun has been abused for evil.
    With the gun comes a great moral responsibility!
    To better understand the gun is to better under stand History. And with the gun protect your future.
    D.B

The trick I learned on my pair of Mosin's and the SKS, for cosmoline, goo gone and lots of paper towels. Just keep going over it.

Once the outside is bare and dry start stripping it down. Work each piece as it comes off.

When I was all done I did put a couple of coats of true oil on the wood to hold it as it is, protect it.

My first one was a threaded Norinco that shot 3" groups at a hundred yards with Chinese ammo. Being a genius, I traded it off thinking they all were that way. None of the rest were including a Russian!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    My first one was a threaded Norinco that shot 3" groups at a hundred yards with Chinese ammo. Being a genius, I traded it off thinking they all were that way. None of the rest were including a Russian!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Know how you feel about the early SKS's. I had the early Norinco with the pinned chrome lined bore. Loaned it to a neighbor and it was stolen from him. He replaced it a few days later and it was lacking the pinned chrome barrel. The only plus to the newer ones was a lot less cosmo. The cosmoline appeared to have been sprayed on instead of being dipped in it.

I miss the good Norinco ammo, boxer primed, brass case for about 120 for a thousand rds. I foolishly gave all the 762X39 brass away after the steel cased stuff was selling for about half. Never thought I'd reload it with the steel cased stuff being so cheap.
    Last edited by azrednek; 01-23-2018 at 01:59 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertbuck View Post
    Wow! Lol I love this place. You guys still managed to find something to talk about.
    I originally started this thread for asking about CB in SKS with IMR 4227 loads. I moved it to CB loads for military rifles. IMR 4227 is a waste of time if you want it to work semi automatically by the way. This powder is best left to shutting the gas valve off and working it as a straight pull.
    Well the SKS I have is a Yugo 59/66 I bought new in 2004 I was 18 years old at the time. Took me weeks to get all the cosmoline off, loved the smell! If had to do it all over again and had the know how. All the metal parts would be bathed in diesel and the stock wiped down with mineral spirits. It is my second favorite semi automatic rifle. And it shoots GOOD.
    The old SKS rode all over the place with me in my old crewcab 81 Chevy. She was my go to rifle for running coyotes and she was excellent at making ground squirrels do a disappearing act. POOF! Ha ha
    Hate to waste a perfectly good thread SKS just needed talkin about

Boolit Master

Sks's are one fun cheap tough rifle with consistent minute of man accuracy . As shooters I like the chincoms more than most russians. You can trick them out and cherish them or just use and abuse them. Ammo is still cheap and plentiful. Up here they are almost as ubiquitous as hockey cards and maple syrup. When they break and you can't fix it you buy a new one. By law we must have the mag pinned to 5 rounds, still fun to shoot.
    "Nyet, rifle is fine"
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

$89ea? I remember when we could buy them at gun shows at $50ea, a buddy and I would buy four each and have them sold for double that before we got home! It was crazy! We’d get two cans of easy off oven cleaner, tear them down, clean off the cosmoline, put them back together and send them on their way! Seemed I couldn’t own one!
    One day I saw one in a gun shop, never seen another like it. They called it a paratrooper, but it’s all milled, has a bayonet and ALL numbers match. If memory serves, it’s 27” long and the sling goes from the bottom of the barrel to the side of the stock. It has the “t” style bayonet, not the blade.
    I’ll try and get some pics up later today, but it’s odd enough I paid $150 for it when I could buy others for $50-75 all day long! And, I’ve kept it!
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Master
    I bought one many moons ago, and a lot of ammo with it. I gave the dealer $100 and got a LOT of change back. The stock was short for me so I found a butpad that would extend it a bit. I didn't see much need for the triangular bayonet, so I took it off. That Christmas my buddy bought me a Ramline black plastic stock that brought the LOP to my size.... I killed quite a few deer with that rifle before I traded it off for something, I believe a Marlin .444... I should have kept the SKS. At the time I could buy ammo for it cheaper than for a .22.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Tapco sks mags work good. I bought mine in 2005 for 175 i remember the yugos going for 110 in 05. These prices almost seem artificially inflated. As well as the ammo. I don't think it is all just supply demand etc.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Have receiver sights ( Williams SSM or similar ) on both ours ( chicom & Yugo). Been running both for 15 years on 50/50 GC cast and never an issue...
    Ugly ??? That is a perception. Reliable... that is a fact !
    With a receiver sight it is one fine battle rifle, river bottom hunter and great trunk rifle.
    Mike in Peru
    Last edited by missionary5155; 01-29-2018 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Added sight reference
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I rate my Yugo SKS about as high as a rifle can be rated.
    When it comes right down to it, I would trust it to be there, still working flawlessly, still doing what it does after thousands of rounds with only minimal maintenance.

It has yet to prove me wrong. Solid as a rock, steady as a stone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12