MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything

Thread: Wtb:/wtt: Mauser 1893 7x57 barrel

Boolit Master

Wtb:/wtt: Mauser 1893 7x57 barrel

I have a Spanish Mauser 1893 chambered in 7 x 57 that the barrel is total junk. There are no riflings left at all. The gun is not worth much, but have invested money in brass, dies, etc. I was wondering if anyone out there might have a barrel that is in reasonably good condition? The rifle is not worth putting a new barrel on unless I possibly get a Green Mountain. Anyone have any ideas? Give me a pm?

give JES a call. He may be able to rebore up to 8, 9 or 9.3. You could then trade your dies for what you would need. JES does excellent work.

www.35caliber.com
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

You would probably need to be a bit careful with reboring it to a different caliber, and make sure the pressures are similar to the 7x57. I'd read before that the metal in the receivers in the Spanish Mausers wasn't necessarily as strong as other Mausers.

Boolit Master

Also make sure it's not a sleeved barrel. My 95 Oviedo is sleeved.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Banned

I've seen a few guys on here that have made .35 Remingtons on those rifles. No idea what it would take to rebore and get it to feed, but that would be slick.

Otherwise, surely there are a lot of take off barrels out there that would work.

Moderator Emeritus

Last I heard JES was not reboring military barrels.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

If the action is in good shape it is definitely worth rebarreling. Check with Sarco or Springfield sporters Inc they usually have Surplus military barrels. A 96 Swedish Mauser Barrel in 6.5 x55 would probably be your best bet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the great suggestions, but I will stay with the 7 x 57. It is a good round. It is not the most powerful but is a good cartridge that probably has the longest continuous use of any. It has even taken many elephant in Africa though I don't think it would really be suited for that. I have others that are much more powerful, and enjoy those, too. This one has been sporterized although it is very plain. It is the type that you don't mind getting scratched or dented. I have some of those, too. When our military was first introduced to that cartridge, our boys with the Krag got a rude awakening. It does have some history to it. I have threatened to throw this one into the lake at the range on numerous occasions trying to find a load that would work in it. At 100 yds, less that half of my efforts were even on the paper anywhere let alone where they were supposed to be. I still want to do something with it. Yes, I am probably insane for trying to get a relatively low powered cartridge to shoot but now that I know what the problem is, I CAN fix it. I checked Midway today and they have a Green Mountain that can easily be fitted, but for some silly reason, would like to put it together with a takeoff. Dumb, I know, but how many of these old guns have their original fittings? This one even still has the military trigger, even though I despise it. Again ?????

Sarco had some pitted outside/good bore 20" 7x57 barrels a while back. I used one to make a beater scout rifle for one of my brothers and it worked fine. I didn't mention Numrich earlier but they may have something. The barrel mentioned above would need rethreading for your small ring action. Good luck in your search.
    Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hey fast ronnie,
    I have one I'll be glad to send you. It's a 20 inch, some small pitting on the outside, nothing deep like you see under the wood on a lot of mausers, its a SR thread, bore is worn some, but will still put a spin on a 7mm pill. Profile wise, it has one step. Not sure what the prior owner was going to do with this, looks like they silver soldered a replacement front sight ramp on it and it does not align with the rear sight base which is still intact. You may be able to spin the rear sight base to line up if you intend to use open sights at all. I think I would bead blast it and re-blue.
    Send me your address and it is yours.
    Best, Mike

Boolit Master
    Thanks, much appreciated Mike. Looking forward!

PM sent.

Ron