RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rifling and bullet size in 9mm

Banned

yup and every factory round of ammo you've ever shot is run through a final size die to insure it runs in even marginal guns. You think maybe its why they call it a "FACTORY" crimp die
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    Set your 9mm case in the shell holder. Raise the ram full up. Then screw in your Lee CFCD till you feel resistence or gets slightly tight. That's how you adjust amount of crimp. Lock the die down. You can have none to some crimp. Then you adjust the stem for seating depth. I think most of the stigma from the carbide ring crimp die is the die not being set up properly. Most seater dies get run down to flush with the shell holder then the stem adjusted. If you do that with the lee carbide die then you just ruined your round.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    Set your 9mm case in the shell holder. Raise the ram full up. Then screw in your Lee CFCD till you feel resistence or gets slightly tight. That's how you adjust amount of crimp. Lock the die down. You can have none to some crimp. Then you adjust the stem for seating depth. I think most of the stigma from the carbide ring crimp die is the die not being set up properly. Most seater dies get run down to flush with the shell holder then the stem adjusted. If you do that with the lee carbide die then you just ruined your round.
    This method us using the CFCD like a roll crimp on a seating die. Not at all how the die is intended to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    yup and every factory round of ammo you've ever shot is run through a final size die to insure it runs in even marginal guns. You think maybe its why they call it a "FACTORY" crimp die
    This is the purpose of the CFCD. To be ran down the entire length of the case.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

and does factory ammo shoot like **** in your gun because the bullet was swadged down?
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    This method us using the CFCD like a roll crimp on a seating die. Not at all how the die is intended to be used.

This is the purpose of the CFCD. To be ran down the entire length of the case.

Boolit Buddy

I size mine at 356 with problems , many many variables causes problems for everyone
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Master
    Size to .357 as that is the largest I can size without feeding problems. My gripe is that factory barrels are 1 in 10 twist when they should use the 1 in 16 twist of the 38 super. Not a target class shooter myself but I'm under the impression that a 38 super will shoot rings around 9mm Luger.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12