Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Sizing die for Wildcat

Boolit Buddy

Sizing die for Wildcat

I am working on a project that takes a standard size caliber and lengthens it retaining the same geometry. While I am waiting for custom dies, can I use the base caliber dies to neck size the wildcat Brass?

Boolit Grand Master

A standard NS die should work to NS the wildcat cases. The standard FL die may work but probably not.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

If it's a straight wall there is a good chance that a standard die will work depending on the length and taper if any in the case.

Boolit Buddy
    Info on what it was and now is would be helpful. If the reamer was simply run in deeper, the standard die will probably work fine if pressures are kept in the reasonable range. At least after the first firing. Otherwise the base which the standard die won't size may swell and cause difficulty chambering the second go around. There are ways around that too, but you would need to make a special die to size the base area. If the reamer was run in deeper, that extra length at the base should be straight walled, unless the reamer taper continued in that area.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, the cartridge is not of my design so I am hesitant to post details without the permission of the developer. I will be asking him this weekend.