Click image for larger version. 

Name:	135 WFN.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	256095

Boolit Master

VERY NICE Mark!!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master
    So now we’re color coding our bullets and the bins they go in too? I’m so far behind the curve!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    So now we’re color coding our bullets and the bins they go in too? I’m so far behind the curve!

Froggie
    Nah, I've got blue bins with red and black boolits, too.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post

Froggie
    I've got bullets that haven't even made it off the casting table yet.

Boolit Bub
    anybody have any updates.

Boolit Master

I’m stoping at 7.3g with this 135g. No pressure but I broke 1250 and simply don’t “need” more.

Shoots great. Tomorrow I’ll. Try them in the Birdshead.

CW

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I’m stoping at 7.3g with this 135g. No pressure but I broke 1250 and simply don’t “need” more.

CW
    Well, that load ain't exactly slow.

Boolit Grand Master

CW
    I've been following this thread with great interest, CW, but I'm getting a little confused. The 7.3 gr you refer to is Blue Dot powder, right? So this means you are shooting your powder coated 135 gr bullet is being pushed ahead of 7.3 gr of Blue Dot at 1250 FPS in your test gun, right? What is this test gun? It obviously isn't your Birdshead S-7 as you say that will be used tomorrow.

Sorry if it seems I'm being dense here, but anything that stretches the boundaries the way these loads we're discussing here, I really want to understand completely before I proceed.

Thanks for additional input as well as your patience.

Froggie

Boolit Master

Hello Froggie

Yes, your correct. I haven’t shot the birds-head with these kids yet. I have 6,6.5,7 & 7.3 g loads ready to try.

This load started at 5.5g of Blue Dot. Then 5.8 & 6.0 gr. Then 6.5 and 6.8 and 7.0g. No issues with any. Cases slide out of my cylinder seemingly as do factory 100g AE ammo.

If your wanting to try I’d suggest 5.5 start seated max for the S7 cyl.

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ll be using the 125 gr NOE 314008 in virgin Starline brass, and I have a little more freedom of COAL because I’ll be shooting them in my Ruger Blackhawk and custom K-frame S&W. The Blue Dot should give me a promising pathway to pursue with a little more safety margin with a lighter bullet and stronger guns. Thanks for the good Information from your testing and for the inspiration it gives me.

Froggie

For the 135 grs ,are they the ones use for the 32-20 or what, Because I know they are not common for use in the 327 ,I just wonder where to get the mold from and the different makes.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

This mold is a Accurate 31-135s. It was designed expressly for the RUGER Single six to fit it’s shorter cylinder.

I have t yet tried it in the 32/20 but I will soon!

Froggy,

7.3 showed ever so slightly sticky extraction from the birds head guns. Cases still pushed right out, but most came out with resistance but under single finger pressure. 7g was fine. But 6 is nicer still and shot just as well as 7.3. Birds heads ain’t for stiff loads. ALL other kids where shot thru both guns and shot well and worked well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1C5FEABD-C354-449B-932A-618C84068AF5.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Here is some more data for you guys. I did a quick chronograph session with different primers, as I'm still trying to decide on which one works best. The load was as follows

7 grains Bluedot
    Accurate 31-137K
    1.605" OAL

For whatever strange reason, I forgot the Federal 100. I'll have to do that in the future, as that one shows a lot of promise on the target. I took 14 shots with each. The test gun was my 5" GP100 as usual. I tried to shoot for groups, but chronographing and group shooting at the same time is tough. I blew it, plain and simple. For what it's worth, the only group I felt all 7 shots were good was with the CCI 550. It went 2 1/4" at 50 yards.

CCI 500 standard
    AV 1244
    ES 45

Federal 205 small rifle
    AV 1231
    ES 33

CCI 550 magnum
    AV 1258
    ES 62

You will have to draw your own conclusions. To me, this tells me all three primers do just fine. Maybe a small advantage to the Federal 205. I've seen many times in the past that a magnum primer actually shoots slower than a standard primer. In this case the 550 magnum shot faster. So is the 205 small rifle stronger or weaker than the 550? It doesn't really matter.

I have shot this bullet with up to 8 grains of bluedot. I found no pressure signs at that level. While it shoots great with quenched bullets at that level, I found accuracy dropped off with air cooled bullets. I get the accuracy with air cooled bullets at 7 grains, and they are not slow at all.

It looks like I'm going to have to go to a primer shoot out for accuracy. Once I pick a primer, I can finally compare lubes like I had with the 45 acp.

Boolit Grand Master
    You guys are killing me! I went to the powder place and saw everything but Blue Dot!

Now I’ve got a new quest just to find powder. So far my highest power loads have utilized either Accurate #7 or a surplus non-canister version of Accurate #9. As I get up into the higher end of the power range, my first signs of pressure have been pronounced flattening of the primers... cases still ejected easily.

Another decision I need to make is whether I want to buy another mould just to pick up 10 grains of additional weight. Since the Accurate 31-135S is cut short for the S-7, it will give me lots of spare room in my K-frame, and of course length is a non-issue in the Blackhawk. One of the reasons I had for going with the 327 over the 32 H&R was to have the maximum flexibility of the power range in a straight side 32 revolver cartridge, and this 135 grain plug seems to be knocking on the door of that room!

One more question here; has anybody tried these loads with Winchester SP or SR primers? They have been my go to for the last 8-10 years or so. I’ve got some Federal Match primers (SR) but I prefer to save them for bench rest.

Thanks for all the info, and keep on posting!!

Froggie

This mold is a Accurate 31-135s. It was designed expressly for the RUGER Single six to fit it’s shorter cylinder.

I have t yet tried it in the 32/20 but I will soon!

Froggy,

7.3 showed ever so slightly sticky extraction from the birds head guns. Cases still pushed right out, but most came out with resistance but under single finger pressure. 7g was fine. But 6 is nicer still and shot just as well as 7.3. Birds heads ain’t for stiff loads. ALL other kids where shot thru both guns and shot well and worked well.
    Is there another company to get a heavy boolit mold from then the one stated? I will use the boolits in my BH ,SP101 and Handi Rifle.all in 327
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    This data is good stuff. My heaviest is the Sledgehammer and I'm in a battle with it due to gat gas check shanks (we'll see when I get the NOE GC expander). My new Accurate Molds 31-126D shows promise. I have read about Brian Pearce suggesting SP primers instead of SPM for better ES. I do know I'll see flattened primers from 1/2 grain differences of powder.

As all I have in the burning range for the 327 is either H110, 4227, and HS6, that I'll need to get some AA9 and/or Bluedot. At least I have just about any brand and strength of SP/SR primers here.

Again, I appreciate the data and experiments as it can help shorten the learning curve for me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    Is there another company to get a heavy boolit mold from then the one stated? I will use the boolits in my BH ,SP101 and Handi Rifle.all in 327
    Something wrong with Accurate? I have three molds built by them and every one casts beautifully was shipped promptly and works as expected.

Check out NOE maybe.

I also have a 311440 that drops large enough and also shoots well for
    Me with BlueDot to 1050 FPS. I have e seen need to push harder.

CW

Boolit Master
    CW makes a very good point about Tom @ Accurate Molds. Nowhere else that I'm aware of, does someone let you change his/others designs, creates a model of it in his catalog, and makes then ships that mold in about 5 days. My last one was a change to an existing design (31-126D) and I had that mold in my hands in 7 days with the weekend included.

I must have 10 of his molds now, but haven't counted them lately. I do know they cast as nice of a bullet as I could hope for and I'm picky, very very picky.

I do have 6 MP Molds here now and they are so well finished that I just enjoy looking at them when I unbox them. Tinning has been an issue with every one of them as I find myself not slowing down as they cast so well.

MP doesn't have the options that Tom does.

Boolit Grand Master

Noe does not make anything comparable, Aresenal does not either. You could draw it on the Mountain molds website, he will make anything you choose.

You wont beat Accurate molds though, not in quality, price, or delivery time. They are tops.

MP molds is an option if you like hollow points, although the only thing they offer with a crimp groove for the single seven is the 125 grain mjolnir. I've heard less than stellar results with it. The better bullet is the 140 grain sledgehammer.The problem there is you are going to have to seat it well past the crimp groove for the single seven. The sledgehammer will fit with no problems in the SP101 and blackhawk, or any other current production gun besides the single seven. It will depend on the throat of your handi-rifle whether it will chamber in that or not.

Since you, presumably (due to an unknown rifle throat), are not limited to the single seven, I would recomend the Accurate 31-137K, MP molds 140 gr Sledgehammer, or the Accurate 31-148CG. I can send you samples of both Accurate bullets if you want to try them.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast