Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 327 federal heavy bullets

Boolit Grand Master
    OK, this is so far out of my wheelhouse I’m going to just sit on the sidelines and observe. I’d always thought my 125 grain rounds were heavy for caliber, but you guys have left me in the dust!

Please be sure to include OAL with your specs as this will be a factor for many of us. I’ve been preaching that this caliber has a huge potential, but now I’m in awe. Keep posting, please!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    OK, this is so far out of my wheelhouse I’m going to just sit on the sidelines and observe. I’d always thought my 125 grain rounds were heavy for caliber, but you guys have left me in the dust!

Please be sure to include OAL with your specs as this will be a factor for many of us. I’ve been preaching that this caliber has a huge potential, but now I’m in awe. Keep posting, please!

Froggie
    That's a good point. I do not own a single seven. The great majority of my testing is with an OAL of 1.600"-1.625". Every 327 federal out there, with the sole exception of the single seven will fit these. The Ruger LCR I consider 1.610" the max. The Henry big boy will only cycle a 1.530" stock, but will chamber even my fat nosed hollow point at 1.600". I would think the FA 97 would be similar to the Ruger GP100, which will fit up to about 1.650"

Boolit Master
    As I haven't even seen my 327 Federal in the flesh, and I'm just getting started casting, I thought the MP Sledgehammer was heavy. I see I'm mistaken!

As far as the FA97 is concerned, I'll post COAL when I get it. I was told by an individual who has one that it is 1.625". Case heads are recessed in a FA.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DHDeal View Post
    As I haven't even seen my 327 Federal in the flesh, and I'm just getting started casting, I thought the MP Sledgehammer was heavy. I see I'm mistaken!

As far as the FA97 is concerned, I'll post COAL when I get it. I was told by an individual who has one that it is 1.625". Case heads are recessed in a FA.
    140 grains is plenty heavy, don't worry about that. I don't know how many people hunt with these. I've shot a whitetail with my 144 grain hollow point. I know a member, I believe Sixgun, shot a pronghorn with the Sledgehammer hollow point. As a solid, they are not too bad for small game either.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    140 grains is plenty heavy, don't worry about that. I don't know how many people hunt with these. I've shot a whitetail with my 144 grain hollow point. I know a member, I believe Sixgun, shot a pronghorn with the Sledgehammer hollow point. As a solid, they are not too bad for small game either.
    That monster you have on order from Tom must either be a wadcutter or about and inch long! I saw where you described it as a WFN style. What's the meplat, .312"?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DHDeal View Post
    That monster you have on order from Tom must either be a wadcutter or about and inch long! I saw where you described it as a WFN style. What's the meplat, .312"?
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-167C-D.png

.83" long. It's nice and compact. 88% or .275" meplat, same as the original 44 caliber Keith. I figure 1000-1150 should be a reasonable expectation for this. Will it stabilize at that speed from a 1:16" twist? I give it about a 50-50 chance.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9C16568E-9D01-45C2-88A5-B27091D2D35B.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	254998

Name:	2E4056B6-C6E6-42C7-9845-AB558A5F9BE0.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	254999

Name:	A1FECEDB-733E-4BB6-BA48-71EBE6FFA6D4.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	255000

Here is a pic of couple of my bullets next to a factory Speer 115g Gold Dot in the nickel case.

On the tape measure is my 311440 & a 115g Gold Dot.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Mold
    I ordered an Accurate 31-135s on 01-11-20. It was delivered today. I'm impressed. Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mark McWillis View Post
    I ordered an Accurate 31-135s on 01-11-20. It was delivered today. I'm impressed. Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow!
    My mold showed up today too, and I ordered it on the 12th! You can't beat Accurate molds.

Boolit Master

Ooh man. I wanna order mine too!!

CW

Boolit Grand Master
    Those bullets have a lot of lead inside of the case. Pressures increase due to smaller air volume too, not just more powder. I'm very interested in how all of this works out, especially for my Blackhawk. I'm not sure how bold I'll be with my "616"... it doesn't have quite the beef as the Ruger. I will definitely learn from you as you work with these Lead Zeppelins.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

After looking at the new bullets, i have a good feeling that they will work. I'll hold further judgment until I actually pull the trigger.

The new bullets weigh 165 grains as cast right on the nose. I loaded a couple dummys. 1.650" fits fine in the GP100, but not the SP101. The shorter one is 1.605", and fits anything except the single seven. I'll likely load to the shorter length for simplicity. The dings in the nose are because it turns out they don't cycle well in the Henry rifle. Both do chamber in the Henry though. The chamber in that thing must be super long.

Name:	165.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	255033

The meplat is the exact same size as the iconic 44 caliber bullet. It's kind of a cross between this https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...ity-1gc-1pb-rd

and this https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...ity-1gc-1pb-rd

Name:	44 vs 32.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	255034
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 01-18-2020 at 10:42 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark McWillis View Post
    I agree...the 31-135s is a really good looking bullet. I ordered the mold yesterday.
    I cast a much of these today. WW+2% drop at 131 grains and they run .3149 to .3154 in roundness. Good looking boolit. Can't wait to shoot 'em.
    Last edited by Mark McWillis; 01-20-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Boolit Master

I just ordered my own Accurate 31-135S.

You guys are a bunch of enablers.

CW

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I just ordered my own Accurate 31-135S.

You guys are a bunch of enablers.

CW
    You're quite welcome!

Boolit Grand Master

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IS NOT TO BE CONSIDERED LOAD DATA. IT IS FOR INFORMATIVE PURPOSES ONLY

Wow, I got everything I wanted in this test. I found a good bullet, and I found the limit of the 327 federal handguns. I loaded from 9.5 to 11.5 grains H110, and seated to 1.605" OAL. At 11.5 grains, the powder was compressed such that the loaded rounds turned out closer to 1.608" OAL. You can't fit more than that. I used the CCI 550 small pistol magnum primer. All shots were fired from my 5" GP100, about 8 feet from the muzzle

9.5 gr
    AV: 1018 fps
    ES: 28 fps

10 gr
    AV: 1063 fps
    ES: 39 fps

10.5 gr
    AV: 1114 fps
    ES: 53 fps

11 gr
    AV: 1157 fps
    ES: 86 fps

11.5 gr
    AV: 1215 fps
    ES: 35 fps

For comparative purposes, I ran some of the Federal American Eagle 100 grain SP factory loads too. They had been sitting in my truck all night at 10 degrees. The 165 grain loads went straight from the loading bench to the range, never getting below room temperature. Normally the Federal load runs closer to 1650 fps in the summer.

Federal 100gr SP factory load

AV:1509 fps
    ES: 54 fps

So what did I learn? The first load at 9.5 grains H110 showed marginal stability. Holes were ever so slightly oval. From 10 to 11.5 grains showed perfect stability. I was not shooting groups, but I did have an aiming point at 25 yards. The 10.5 and 11 grain loads shot about as good as the Federal factory load without even trying. I then fired the 11.5 grain load at a point at 50 yards, and they shot about 6". Not great, but fit my purpose. I consider 11 grains max. Primers looked identical to the Federal factory load. I fired the 11.5 grains anyway with no worse pressure signs. No cases ever got sticky, and no hint of lead in the barrel. Bullets were lubed with deluxe Xlox and gas checked, sized to .314". This was the first time I ever fired a 327 federal and actually realized the recoil. It's still soft, but it is squarely in 357 magnum territory. This load actually surpasses 357 magnum factory ammo (which is admittedly quite watered down).

Now the question is how does this compare to the 148 grain bullet. Does the added mass help overcome the reduced velocity? I was able to get around 1325 fps with the 148 grain, compared to 1157 fps for the 165 grain. We will see. It's safe to say 165-170 grains is the absolute maximum bullet that will stabilize in a 1:16" twist handgun.

Maybe one day the Factories will realize the potential of this cartridge. If it is to be marketed as a self defense cartridge, it should be marketed as the 9mm alternative, not a 357 magnum wannabe. Standard bullets should be 125 grains, with 100, 115, and 147 grains optional. The 327 federal in a revolver gives up a round or two to 9mm in a small semi-auto, but it also outperforms 9mm. 327 federal is somewhere in the 38 super or 357 sig area.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 01-21-2020 at 03:38 PM.

Interesting data. Great research and writeup!
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    Interesting data. Great research and writeup!
    Agreed. Thank you!

I’m happy at 1000 with my 150’s. It will do everything I need out of a heavy in 327. I’ll push the 135 a lil more once I get it and start building loads. But as always accuracy rules.

CW

CW

Boolit Master

2tenths of a grain more got me to a 1040avg with my 150g Lyman 311440 bullet.

This was a offhand 25 yard group.

Name:	ABABE780-4A46-42E2-8FAD-3D4A28B814CD.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	255203

I didn’t wade thru the snow for 50 yard targets. But on the 75 yard berm I was shooting soft ball sized groups in the snow.

CW

Boolit Master
    One question, and one statement CW: what's snow, and I really like that little Bisley!

OK, I looked it up and snow is frozen precipitation, and I still really like that little Bisley.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast