Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Best levergun to share boolits w/Ruger Redhawk?

Boolit Bub

Best levergun to share boolits w/Ruger Redhawk?

I bought a 80's stainless Redhawk in 44 mag on a whim at a militaria show. I'm more of a milsurp guy/NRA high power guy but I really like shooting this thing. Is there a lever gun that is throated ect in a similar enough way to allow me to use the same boolits in both? I'm talking 240gr at close to factory velocity loads.

From what I've read that might be a big ask.

Boolit Buddy

I shoot 240s in my Marlin 1894 cast and jacketed, I shoot from the same ammo box in my SBH. I've done this with swc cast and Hornady XTP bullets. The XTP's are probably loaded at 90% max recommended 2400 load
    Jeff

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by dpaqu View Post
    I bought a 80's stainless Redhawk in 44 mag on a whim at a militaria show. I'm more of a milsurp guy/NRA high power guy but I really like shooting this thing. Is there a lever gun that is throated ect in a similar enough way to allow me to use the same boolits in both? I'm talking 240gr at close to factory velocity loads.

From what I've read that might be a big ask.
    I purchased my redhawk (8.25" Hunter) new im 1986 and also have an R92 in 44 mag, love shooting both with the same load. Ive been casting this 240gr in HP and solid and shooting it for years. Works great in both. See the link below, i offer these to my local folks, could ship if you wanted to try them:

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=392739

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lakehouse2012; 01-12-2018 at 06:58 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Are Rossi 92's all similar?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I would go with a Henry.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

MARLIN, easy to scope when the eyes go. Or find an old Browning 1894 from the 1970-80's. Mine is still going strong. Rossi's are a **** shoot, you'll never know what you're getting until you put a few 100rds down range. Henry, just don't like 'em.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    I'd suggest measuring your revolver's individual cylinder throats first to determine what you have.

Marlins and Browning 92's in 44 mag generally have generous barrel dimensions, with most generally shooting better with larger diameter pills (0.433-0.434").

Also worth noting that you should pick mould designs that will feed through a levergun. Generally this means RNFP or TC designs. Revolvers are much more forgiving in the designs they will accept.

Boolit Buddy

I have 44 Mag leverguns from Browning, Rossi, and Marlin.

The Browning is without a doubt the nicest, and best built. But it has an oversized Bore and a very slow twist barrel. It doesn’t shoot all that well.

The Marlin is a true Marlin, made in 2005. This one has Ballard rifling and shoots better than any of the micro groove 44s I’ve had in the past. It’s almost as nice as the Browning, and is the only choice of the three for adding an optic.

The Rossi is a cheap clone of the Winchester 92, and it shows. Mine has had an action job, which deleted that ridiculous little safety. It’s also the best shooter of the bunch, by far.

As far your question about loads. I’ve never loaded specifically for the leverguns, some ammo, like Keith loads, are too long to feed thru the leverguns. But I mainly shoot full power jacketed stuff in them anyway.
    Last edited by Warhawk; 01-12-2018 at 12:29 AM.

I bought the Henry steel to go with my redhawk. Those are my two favorite guns.

Boolit Bub
    it's not a classic like a 92 or 94 but if you can find one, Ruger made the 96/44 lever action a few years ago. I have one, uses a rotary magazine (same as the bolt 77/44 IFAIK), and runs pretty well. I shoot 240gr cast and XTP's in mine, I don't think I've every changed my load for pistol vs. rifle. I have two ruger SBH 44s (one non fluted magna ported and one a Hunter version with a nikon 2x on it) and they all do well with the 240gr cast or jacketed.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by dpaqu View Post
    Are Rossi 92's all similar?
    Short answer, Yes...

Rossi 44 mags seem to work better out of the box. Rossi R92 357 has been a nightmare for them. Very few have a working action with all the boolit and case types. Fewer still had a nice feeling action. Now, once you get the round into the gun, the Rossi is a TACK DRIVER..... So the moral is you'll need to give it an action job. Which isnt too much, just watch Youtube.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

My 357 Rossi 92 was pretty rough and gritty action out of the box, but it functioned fine. I sent it to Steve Young for an action job and now it’s very smooth, and accurate. My 44 is an older LSI import, I bought it from Mr Young and he had done the action job before I got it. Equally smooth and also very accurate.

I have had a few other Rossi’s over the years. An EMF imported 357 was smooth out of the box, but the plastic magazine follower would stick and cause problems. So I added the metal Mag follower and did the safety delete. Very nice rifle after that, I regret letting a friend talk me out of it.

Boolit Buddy
    Several years ago I picked up a Rossi .357 mag short rifle, used from an online store. I didn't know it but the previous owner must have done an action job on it prolly for CAS. I could fill the page about it but I can say it is the smoothest most accurate levergun I have seen in My 64 years.