WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Question on Lee REAL 50 Cal Casting bullits

Boolit Mold

Question on Lee REAL 50 Cal Casting bullits

Hey guys. pretty green at handloading, and casting, and pretty much everything to do with bullet and cartridge loading. along with starting with a difficult cartridge, I also bought a CVA Wolf muzzleloader to see if I was interested in black powder shooting, and so far I enjoy it. after firing my first shots of cheap shot sabots, I decided to try making my own projectiles for my CVA wolf. I did my research on the Lee real and a lot of people have mixed feelings about the bullet, but most positive reviews came from people who had rifle with fast twist rates (the wofl has 1:28) and 50 caliber rifles so I figured itd be worth buying. as I'm casting them, I am having the common issue of the bullets coming in undersize (last rib is .509-.508). I read that heating the pot would help, so I did which brought my diameter put it up to .514-.515. I'm using a Lee bottom pour pot and turnig he heat up the "6" setting which I'm not sue how hot that it but the top of my lead was red so I figured it was hot enough, which may also be a mistake. anyone had any luck getting the REAL bullet to advertised diameter? the bullets ive shot that were .509-.514 shot OK but felt like it lost oomph compared to the cheap sabot I'm used to shooting, but that may be normal. I have no clue. I'm using 80 grains of American pioneer FF.

Boolit Master

Been eye balling but haven't gotten it yet for my knight but here, I have this thread book marked for when I do: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...L-bullet-mould

REAL bullets from my understand are for moderate twist rates like 1 in 48. They can be shot in faster 1 in 28 but you have tune for accuracy with out over powering and skipping the lands. Dimensions.... whats you alloy? Try adding some tin, run it hot, or both. I would be fine with those dimensions in my riffle. Try starting with a lower charge also. You don't need a lot oomph or recoil. you just need a heavy bullet to hit what you are aiming at 100 yrds away. Chrono the load once its accurate to make sure its leathal enough for you.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Mine is 502-514 and if you want them to shoot (Try real black powder 2F /3F) and put a card behind , it over your powder and pure lead is what you want and run the pot hot ! Works for me /Ed

Boolit Mold
    I dont have any set target where im shooting, just objects, i may go to a range and try it on actual targets. Thats why i asked if i was running it hot enough to get it to fill properly. I hoped someone who had a lee pot could tell me approximately how hot the 6 setting on it was. I dont have any good way to measure the tempature but the lead is discoloring when at that setting so i figured it was pretty **** hot enough for it but i have no clue. I may try a powder in the future but ill use up what i have. Cant beat 10 dollars for a pound of black powder subsitute.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Mine is 502-514 and if you want them to shoot (Try real black powder 2F /3F) and put a card behind , it over your powder and pure lead is what you want and run the pot hot ! Works for me /Ed
    This is very sound advice that I can't improve on

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsixta View Post
    I dont have any set target where im shooting, just objects, i may go to a range and try it on actual targets. Thats why i asked if i was running it hot enough to get it to fill properly. I hoped someone who had a lee pot could tell me approximately how hot the 6 setting on it was. I dont have any good way to measure the tempature but the lead is discoloring when at that setting so i figured it was pretty **** hot enough for it but i have no clue. I may try a powder in the future but ill use up what i have. Cant beat 10 dollars for a pound of black powder subsitute.
    Yer right only if it works ,but if it isn"t $10.00 dollars is wasting time/powder and lead when its a given BP works every time /just sayin /Ed

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Edward is spot-on! As far as powder, American Pioneer is a very poor substitute for real black powder, IMHO. I've used it, I found it to shoot accurately and cleanly. BUT, once you break the seal on that can it's life is limited. If you're going to hunt with it buy a new can immediately before hunting season. Use the new powder to hunt with, Or, just use real black powder and don't worry about it!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Rsixta View Post
    I hoped someone who had a lee pot could tell me approximately how hot the 6 setting on it was.
    The numbers on the LEE lead pots are not calibrated to specific temperatures. If they intended them to be, they failed. I have a lot of their lead pots and they are all different, ...all over the map in fact! But, I think LEE only meant the numbers to be reference for setting it up. Use a lead thermometer to be sure if you feel the need to, or trial and error will work, and use a marker on the number dial to indicate what works for what.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master
    I shoot REAL's in a couple guns. They are good boolits. Some prefer bare bottom against the powder and some like a lubed felt wad under the boolit. Pretty much, you should just experiment around some. Let us know which works best for you.

Boolit Master
    I have had good luck with the real's also.most of the modern inlines use a 1/32 or 1/28 twist . I found out that the most accurate load in my riffles was between 60, and 85 grains of real black but pyrodex worked good also. When I went up in powder groups got bigger. Never used a wad under the real but need to just to see if it helps. The number on the dial is just a reference point. Each pot will be a little different. I do know when casting the real that my bands where not as sharp at a lower temp. I cranked up the heat and they started to look really good nice and sharp

Boolit Master
    While my CVA wolf shot powerbelts very well I never did find a suitable cast load for it. The only molds I had were the lee real and mini. My best luck was with the mini and 70 gr of pyrodex. I'm a black fan and shoot it almost exclusively but that gun didn't do well with it. Guess that's why it went away.

I never tried paper patching that gun but it works well in my H&R 50 I have now.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Unless you live near a desert, get rid of your American pioneer FF. It draws moisture easily, probably even if you were to leave the jug on your bathroom sink when flushing your toilet.

Rsixta, Several suggestions for you: As Chill Wills mentioned, you need a good casting thermometer. (Tel Tru is the brand I use.) Second, my REAL's were undersized as well, but you can increase their diameter by paper patching or by "beagling" the mold. (Google it!) I tried the former, which improved accuracy significantly in my 1:28" twist bbl., but a T/C Maxi-Ball, which I also cast (pure lead in both instances) was much more accurate than the REAL. Also, a felt or card stock wad under the projectile may help you squeeze a bit more accuracy out of your bbl.

Boolit Master
    In regards to the real..... The bands must be sharp and defined if it is correctly cast. If they are rounded off, then the dia. Is undersized. A little tin will aid in good fill out without adding hardness. And i too, have heard an over powder wad aids in improved accuracy.