Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saw a neat old 45 acp tonight

Thumbs up

My story doesnt even compare with most of these.

I have never been much of a pistol person but have always wanted a 1911. I finally got one a couple years ago, it is/was brand new GI model and looks very much like the originals. I have never been happier with a firearm purchase! The problem is that now I want to buy at least one war model.
    Short,Fat,and Slow,,,Yup I love the .45

Boolit Master

knifemaker,

About 30 years ago I had a conversation with a Pierce (Tacoma) County Sheriffs Deputy in a gun shop. He carried a National Match loaded with the Lyman 454424. He was in foot pursuit of a felon and decided to shoot him. Just as the hammer fell, a stop sign post (4X4) got in between him and his suspect's calf. The boolit went through the post and took two inches out of the felon's shin bone.

He liked his NM too.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Cat, my department, as most, did not allow reloaded ammo for duty and I was not satisfied with most factory ammo that we had in the 80's. So what I did was to order Winchester factory primed brass and "custom" loaded it with Sierra 185 gr. HP and a stiff load of Unique powder where I was able to achieve 1100 fps and carried that ammo on duty as it was not reloaded ammo. I removed the factory recoil spring and installed a 18 pound wolf recoil spring and also a neoprene buffer in the gun to protect it from excessive battering damage. That gun was so reliable that it would feed empty sized 45 cases from the magazine. The gun I carried prior to getting the National Match 45 was a S&W model 57 in 41 magnum. That revolver was a great one for penetration into vehicles.
    Last edited by knifemaker; 01-14-2018 at 01:38 AM.

Boolit Master
    I own a few 1911 pattern pistols, but the one that means the most to me is the 1915 SA 1911 that has been in my family for 103 years now. It passes from father to son at the discretion of the person in possession. It came to my safe when my father went into assisted living this past summer. I don't know the value of it, and don't care. It was the first handgun I ever fired, and it has been shot quite a bit over the years (but only twice in anger). It is all original except for the hammer, sear and barrel which my father replaced after WWII. I believe I am the first generation with other options, so it will not be fired as much going forward. I would like to believe that it will remain in my family forever.

It is good to see so many fine 1911 with stories behind them. I have been a fancier of the 1911 pistol for 56 years and have owned several score. I am down to just three now and it is a very fine pistol indeed. I put it together myself from Colt parts that span 40 years of production. There was no fitting necessary, just assemble the pistol. Colt knew something about quality control in those days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Frankenstein Colt small.jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

My child of 1917 was discovered and came home middle of last year. . .in time for it's 100th birthday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1911 4.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	212301

Name:	1911 5.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	212303

Name:	1917 2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	212304

Ya know how the modern 1911 trigger is a shoe staked onto a stamped steel bow? None of that cheesy stuff here!

Name:	1911 6.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	212305

It didn't come with the right mag, but fortunately, I had a couple in the stash.

Name:	1911 7.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	212306

I'd been trying to find a "Not-A1" that wasn't a re-finish, Frankengun, or mechanically compromised for about 25 years, so. . .

Had it out for the first time a couple weeks ago with some Bullseye-pressure HG68's. Little sights = challenging! Flat mainspring housing = alien. Did I care? NOT IN THE SLIGHTEST!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Mine has no great story that I know of. But it is a 1945 production Remington with a Colt range serial number. I don't remember how many of those were produced, but I don't believe it was all that many. Anyway, it is in near mint condition with a 95+% finish. I rarely shoot it because it is just so pretty. If I have to go blasting with a .45ACP, I take the Kimber out for exercise!

My 1911 was made in 1917. Dad bought it in a hardware store out of a washtub full of 1911's in the mid 60s for $29.95.
    It's a gov't model, civilian issue. Wish he had bought the lot of them.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Mold
    I have an Ithaca 1911a1 from 1943 I believe marked UNITED STATES PROPERTY and M1911 A1 U.S. ARMY. She shoots like a house of fire! Goes nicely with my Colt 1917.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    3rd generation 1911 nut here.

My Grandfather carried this 1911 in World War One.

He passed when I was very young, but he told my Father, his son in law, to give it to me for my 18th birthday.

...and that every son, gets it for his 18th birthday.

Growing up, we shot it a lot, My father taught me how to field strip and clean it.

He also brought home a Luger

So awesome!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12