Reloading EverythingPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: .32 Remington Reloading Help?

Question .32 Remington Reloading Help?

Today I just purchased a Stevens High Power Model 425 in .32 Remington. And Im having trouble finding any reloading info on that cartridge. Its also quite a new cartridge for me. Im not sure if 30-30 cases would work? The rifle came with a box with 17 original cartridges but I dont really feel like shooting those.

If anyone is interested, here's the quick video I did.:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrV6Whoqfug

Boolit Master
    You might ask a mod to move this to a better place. More of a cartridge collector area here. It is not based on the rimmed .30-30, but on the Remington rimless .30 Remington. Grafs sells new made .32 Remington brass, and you can use .32 Winchester Special load data. Some say you can use .32 Win Special dies, but I use dedicated .32 Rem dies since the shoulder angle is a bit different. Probably fine and definitely easier to find those dies, but it is a pretty small shoulder to be headspacing on to begin with.
    Back in the land of boolits.

Way back in 1982 I bought a Win '94 SRC from an elderly gentleman on a farm where I was working. The reason he was selling it was because it was only good for one shot then jammed, he and the Civil War veteran from whom he had bought it in the 1930s could never get it to work. I paid him $80 cash American money and he gave me the box of bullets that he had been given by the defender of the Union who bought it new in 1926. When I looked it all over the action was fine, the bore pristine. Then I looked at the box of Remington UMC ammo with a steam locomotive flying at high speed on the front and on the end it said ".32 Remington". Yep, that **** Winchester just wouldn't work with them UMC bullits!
    When I take the old carbine out to shoot I think of George, from whom I bought it, who was a WWII vet wounded on Okinawa who bought it from a man who was a combatant in our Civil War and laugh at the fact that the **** thing didn't work for 44 years because someone bought the wrong ammo when it was new. It shoots <1" group at 50 yds with the NOE 323 165 and a charge of Unique, reliably cycles and I killed a deer with it a few years ago. Of course I'm using .32 WS brass.
    Anyway, .32 Remington ammo will fire in a .32 WS.

Boolit Master
    In a pinch you could, with a little lathe work, turn off the rim and cut an extractor groove in 32 Special brass. Or 30/30 brass for that matter, with a little neck expansion. But as texassako said -- good old Graf's is selling the real meal deal so we don't have to do that lathe work.

I don't have a 32 Remington but I have a couple of 30 Remingtons which are identical to the 32 Remington except for neck diameter, just like 30/30 and 32 Special. Also have a nice bit of Remington 30 Rem brass (they have made a run every few years) and the case capacity of Remington branded 30 Remington is identical to the case capacity of Remington branded 30/30. I might check the case capacity of Graf's brass against other brands of 32 Special cases, but unless I found a significant difference I'd be totally comfortable with using 32 Special loading data for a 32 Remington.

Thanks for the information guys! Il see what I can do.

Boolit Master
    Nice score Kev18, you could also ask Grumpa if he has some .32 Rem brass, as he was making them out of 30-30. Check him out in the Vendor section, and all feedback I've read is that it is great stuff. I recently bought a 425 in .30 REM, and it shoots very accurately with cast loads, using 25gr. of 3031, and I imagine it would work well in your .32, when you find some .321 bullets, or a suitable mould. The lee .323-8mm RN mould should work well, if you size them down a bit, at least they shot OK in my Mod 8 Rem. Oh, when you load some, be sure to check the COL, you don't want to wedge a cartridge up in that rifle, as I read somewhere they are a real bugger to reassemble. As for full power jacketed loads, they are found in Lyman's 45th edition manual on pg. 293, sorry I'm not smart enough to post a picture. I'd keep my loads on the mild side, cause extractors an such might be a bit hard to find, good luck,Jim.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    This is why you can "make do" with 32 Win Spl dies but not really .
    The Rem sisters have an almost AI/Weatherby shoulder that's fatter .
    I don't remember the dimension at this point but it is also on the order of .03 shorter to fit my chamber .

Attachment 211572
    Seen here are 32 Rem , 30 Rem , 32 WS and 32 Rem loaded and the 6.8 .

From Speer #12 data for 170 jacketed .
    iMR 4350 start load minus
    Lee 324-170 Plain Based (175 ? I haven't run them for a long time)
    CCI primers
    Actual 1964 Win brass
    Gave 2100 fps , the same as the max load in the WS for jacketed .
    20" model 14 Remington .

The brass is easy enough to make with the rim turn and new groove from the 30-30 family but the shoulders and neck are for squat as a point of head space . I had the best success leaving a case flaired and mouth head spacing to fire form , which is how I found the difference in length .
    The Rem likes .321 jacketed and .323 cast . A .325 won't chamber .
    I don't know that I ever checked the twist in the Rem but it is slower than the 8mm Mauser .
    Last edited by Harter66; 01-10-2018 at 05:06 PM.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Moderator Emeritus

The .32 Remington is one of my favorite calibers to cast for, load, and shoot. My arms are all Remington brand -- their models 8 and 14 families. I have used 30 Remington brass and, using 32 dies, necked it up loading and shooting cast bullets with surprising accuracy! Quality Cartridge Company takes orders for their really high quality brass; when they get sufficient wants for a caliber, they produce some. I waited over a year for mine. You may indeed be quite lucky, as of about two minutes ago they have some IN stock. Their URL is: http://www.qual-cart.com/323%20cal.htm and they command $34.97 for a box of 20. Shooting cast bullets, I have shot my .32 REM Quality brass at least three times, and it still functions as new. I don't know your situation, but -- if me in your shoes -- I'd purchase three bags of their stuff. Imho a rifle such as you have is way too valuable to mess with using necked up, "manufactured" brass, or similar. I understand your rifle was manufactured in the 1910 to 1917 period, in four calibers, and yours (.32REM) is tied with another for being the most rare. One source cites less than 700 of these were made. Quite rare, indeed!
    BEST!
    geo
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 01-10-2018 at 09:54 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd check with Graf&Sons and see if they still had any. If I remember they were they were 50 count at around $1.00each. I bought 3 bags of Quality Cartridge some years ago before I found a source of 30 rem. I have a bucket of them with Remington headstamp last count 1700 rounds.
    Try Graf&Sons.

Bill

Moderator Emeritus

I just checked Graf & Sons site, and they profess to have both .30 Remington (https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...ategoryId/742?) and .32 Remington cases (https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/779?} in stock.
    geo

That rifle is seriously cool. And I bet that IMR 3031 on the bench will make it sing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    That rifle is seriously cool. And I bet that IMR 3031 on the bench will make it sing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Thanks, I have 3031 so il give it a shot. I ordered brass and dies from Graf's so hopefully il get them soon!