RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bigger and slower or smaller and faster, 30-06 for deer?

Banned
    Funny thing this thread got me thinking about. At the time I started using a 180 grain cast load in the 30-06, My wife and I were just married. Worked at a manufacturing job at night and roofed, plastered and did cement work during the day. My 30-06 was (and I still use it) a 1903 with a cut down C stock and a Weaver K4. I loaded shells with a Redding 7 c frame press and cast on a camp stove. Used a Kake cutter and pan to lube, shot as dropped oversize. Shot everything with that rifle with Unique powder and cast bullets. At that time in my life what I shot meant we had meat to eat after all the bills were paid. Good times

Boolit Buddy
    I don't have a lot of experience with lead in the 30.06 & deer. I have shot them with lead & the 30.30 & 44 mag. However, this year I did kill a deer with lead in my Rem 700 30.06. I used a NOE 311165rf design. Load was 4895 with dacron filler. Big flat nose on this bullet & it worked very well in my 30.30 so I decided to see how it would do in the 30.06. Here are some pics.

100 yard group & no problems cycling the bolt or feeding.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0596_opt.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	211632

Bullet entry

Name:	100_0867_opt.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	211634

Bullet exit

Name:	100_0866_opt.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	211635

50 yard shot

Name:	IMG_0646_opt.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	211633

Big thanks to Larry G for his help putting this load together.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    Yes, I read the linked article, hence my interest in the rcbs mold. I suppose. I should look at even heavier boolits than that. Appreciate the warning on feeding issues. I was kind of thinking that would not be an issue with a bolt gun.

Depends on the bolt gun. Push feed rifles like most of the later Winchesters don't do well with wide meplat boolits while the Ruger M77, "pre-64" Winchesters and other rifles using a controlled feed action don't seem to mind as much.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    So my nickle
    Attachment 211678
    This is the RD 311-165 from NOE . I don't think you're going to get a bigger meplat mine comes in just under your desired 170 @168 , 171 checked and lubed ,170 PB dry .

I also have if your 1-10 will shoot it the 311-230 .
    At 1800 fps it will carry 1000ftlb past 1000 yd and with a good alloy make mushrooms like this .
    Attachment 211679
    These are from a similar 200 gr bullet unavailable anywhere .
    They finished up at 195-197 gr and as large as .605 from a .316 paper patched and .308 naked , 2 different rifles same twist and same peak speed .

Either way a critter under 350 # is in a lot of hurt with either one at 1800-2200 fps .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    So my nickle
    Attachment 211678
    This is the RD 311-165 from NOE . I don't think you're going to get a bigger meplat mine comes in just under your desired 170 @168 , 171 checked and lubed ,170 PB dry .
    There's also the Ranch Dog TL-310-180-RF-GC, which was optimized for the throat of the .308 Winchester. Basically the same nose with a little more mass, and no reason at all you couldn't run it in the '06.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

from my own experiences,a 200 grain in a 06 will tear up less meat,make a big hole on entry and exit but not blood shooting as much meat.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    A good rule of thumb with any bore size, is heavy for caliber.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I've been running both Lyman's 170 gr FP, and their 210 RN in my M77 Ruger. I like the 210 very much. May play with the 210 an 300 Wby just for fun, never know what will happen, but might just have possibilities.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12