Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: Need verification with slugging info.

Need verification with slugging info.

I slugged my Uberti SAA .45 Colt and Colt 1911 .45 auto and would like input on the results and my take on them.

I used cast .454 round balls,,,not sure of the hardness as I am having some issues with that (covered in another thread).

The SAA slug dimensions are as follows,,,

Cylinder,,,5 throats @ .453 / 1 throat @ .4525

Forcing cone,,,.454 Not sure I did this right, pressed in slug till it just touched the lands. Noted that not all lands impressed the lead, could be the way I was pressing the slug.

Barrel,,,.451

From what I have read a .452 cast bullet would be right for the barrel but since the cylinder throats are .453 I need a bullet sized to .453.

My conclusion is that I need to use a mold that casts a .454 bullet and size it to .453.

The 1911's barrel slug measured .4515, so bullets sized to .452 should be fine.

Some info about my shooting,,,for personal protection I use commercial ammo for read about legal issues. For the rest I would like to use cast lead. I have a small shooting area on the property that has a maximum range of around 30 yards. I like to target shoot and plink as well. I am not looking for 1/2" groups just a decently accurate shot. My eyes are not the best and I just like to shoot. I am sure that some would wonder about my sanity by not wanting the most accurate pistol I could have,,,I am just trying to be realistic. If the accuracy bug does bite in the future I will deal with it then.

Thanks for reading and/or responding.
    Short,Fat,and Slow,,,Yup I love the .45

Boolit Master
    I use commercial ammo for read about legal issues.
    In reality this is a non-issue. Concerning bullet diameter, I'd try .452's and see how they shoot. Were you planning on using the same mold for both revolver and 1911? Would be convenient to use the same sizer.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    My Ubertti 45 works very well with 454190 sized to .452. I tried those loads and they worked so well I never bothered to slug anything in the gun. The loads were low pressure loads I used in 2 different Rugers. The Ubertti performed at least as well as the Rugers did, quite possibly better. It was good enough for me so I just went on to problems with a different gun.