Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LC9s vs S&W Shield 9mm

Ruger LC9s vs S&W Shield 9mm

Anybody making noise with one of these? Thinking about getting one or the other. In a couple of weeks, I get to go to the range with a friend that has both and I'll get to do a good side x side comp. But, until the big day comes, I guess we could yak about them for a while.

Boolit Master
    I have shot both, both handled nicely, but somehow the shield seemed to fit my hand better. I have the Shield, while my wife has the Lc9s.

Banned

I checked them all out and the LC9s Pro is what I picked. We are fortunate to have so many choices. Now add the Sig 365 to the mix with 3 to 4 more rounds.

Boolit Master

I have neither, but My wife bought me a Taurus 709 Slim that really is a good fit and a great shooter. I carried it (off duty) everyday until the Glock 43 came out. Now, that's pretty much it. I carried a 1911 off duty for 20 years until My wife came home with a Glock 22C (don't like the C part) she had scored cheap. My agency went to G22s so it was kind of normal to switch to the G43 due to familiarity with the format. I have friends who love their Shields so there you have it. My opinion ain't worth much but you get what you pay for
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master
    I tried both, altho I got the LC9s Pro. The trigger is so much better.......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I have a Shield 9mm and a 40, but carry the G43.

I only know the Shield and it has been perfect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I only know the Shield 40....and have been very satisfied with it.

Boolit Buddy

Shield. Just not enough grip size in the Ruger. Probably have 8 to 9 hundred rounds through mine with no problems.

Boolit Master

I have the LC9s and find it to be ideal for concealed carry.I have big hands and I bought
    the hogue slip on grip, and it fits my hand perfect.
    Denny

Boolit Master
    I used to carry my lc9s a lot, crossbreed supertuck holster. I have a few complaints about the pistol but have made my peace with it. When clean and new at the range it was great, much improved trigger pull over the original LCP I was comparing it against when shopping and 9mm vs 380. However the magazine release *frequently* presses against the holster and just slightly disconnects it. After the dozenth time dropping a magazine on the ground after getting out of the car each time I retired it to the safe.

Another issue I had was with primer residue/brass shavings clogging the firing pin channel, had to clean it out frequently after S&B factory ammo in particular.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

I like my Shield. I've only run about 500 rounds through it but not a single malfunction even with different brands and weights of defensive ammo, from 115 to 150 grain.

I will say if you carry it a lot and sweat a lot keep an eye on the mag catch. Mine got sticky and I found a little rust when I pulled it out. Hopefully someone will offer a titanium or at least high grade stainless steel catch for tge Shield
    And just for your info... casting with a single cavity is about as close as you can get to zero production, while still having some production. -- Whitespider

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    crossbreed supertuck holster.
    Love this holster, it's what I use for my Shield. I'm a fan. I spring for the horse hide and I'm glad I did. Very comfortable and yes sometimes I really do forget I am carrying

I've not had the mag drop issue with the Shield at all
    Last edited by Quiettime; 01-11-2018 at 01:45 PM.
    And just for your info... casting with a single cavity is about as close as you can get to zero production, while still having some production. -- Whitespider

Boolit Mold
    I have the Shield because it comes in 40. Otherwise it would have been a tougher choice.

I have an LC9s. I find it rides in my hip pocket more than any handgun in the inventory. It is NOT my favorite, honestly I don't really have any attachment to it. With that said it has decent sights and trigger and will feed any boolit that I cast for 9mm. It does shoot high at 25 yards but pretty much dead on at 7-12. I am going to try some Lee 105's in it. For what it is it does very well but I don't have any warm fuzzies for it like I would a Smith Model 24. On the other hand it fits in my pocket well and goes bang every time so it gets carried more than my favorites.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Still lurkin and learnin in here. Thanks for all the replies so far folks. The mag release issue is a big deal to me and the first time I've read about it. My Mustang would do the same thing. Between that and it being sa is the reason I sold it. This will be my first tuppergun. Having no pride in ownership of a plastic gun does have some value. Kind of like driving a beater car for a winter salt ride. Just a tool, and a frame of mind I'm not used to when it comes to my firearms. Every one I own is special in some way for some reason. This one won't be one of them.

Banned

Even glock fan boy Hickok 45 says the LC9s Pro is a great gun
    Even bought of his own with his own money and carried it
    Clearly the best trigger in this class

Banned

Ive got a glock 43, a shield 40sw and my wife has an lc9. Out of all three I like the glock best. The lc9 has by far the best trigger but feels awkward in the hand. At least my hand anyway. my wife thinks it feels best to her though with her small hands. the Shield is the most accurate but without an extension mag the grip feels to short for my big hands. It has a crappy trigger but I probably carry it more because its a 40. the glock shoots well, has a crappy trigger but not as bad as the smith. Accuracy is close to the shield. grip feels the best to me. Down side is price. They go for around 500 bucks and you can shop around and find either of he other two for 300. All three have been dead nuts reliable. If theres any edge to that id give it to the ruger. Why? because it will run light 105 lee 38 bullets at pop gun levels that aren't stout enough for the glock to run. Glock and smith are much easier to take down to clean. Sights I would rate glocks best and rugers worse. Bang for the buck to me goes to the smith. It just seems to be a higher quality gun then the ruger. That said id like to check out one of the new lcE's. Its an economy lcp with fixed sights that is suppose to go for under 300 bucks. but bottom line is if you have paitents you can find shields for that already. One last thing I don't care for on the lc9 and my shield is they have safetys. You can buy a shield without one though and there even cheaper that way. I don't know if you can get a lc9 without one though. so there it is. If you have the money the glock is in my opinion the best. If you have small hands and a small bank account an lc9. If you have normal hands and a small bank account the shield. Bottom line is there all good guns and you wont go wrong buying any of them. Go and see what feels best in your hand and buy it. I about guarantee you will end up with a good gun. Now if we could just get glock and ruger to sell them the same size in .40!! One last thing. I handled a shield in 45 at the gunshop the other day. It was a tad bigger but felt better then any of them in my hand. If it wouldn't have had a safety it would have came home with me. One is defineately on the top of my want list. Only thing better then a 40 is a 45!

Boolit Master

You can indeed get the LC9 without a safety - It's called the LC9-S pro. I have one and like it quite a bit
    Being human is not for sissies.

Banned

I really don't care for how they feel in the hand but if that lc9e comes in well under a 300 bucks I might have to buy one for myself and it would be pretty hard not calling it the best use of your dollar for a concealed carry gun
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 01-15-2018 at 07:51 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast