Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions S&W Model 10

Boolit Buddy
    Get that 3" gun. It will feel alive when you shoot it. It will work better with 148-160 grain boolits. My favorite and most used charge is 3.5 grains of Bullseye with either a 148 DEWC or a 158-160 boolit of almost any configuration. Shoots at the standard pressure level; shoots to the sights and handles any legit .38 Special task very well.
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jumbeaux View Post
    I am trying to decide which S&W Model 10 I should grab. Can't grab both. Both are like new.

Number one is a 4" 10 (no dash) Pencil Barrel that is probably unfired.

Number two is a 3" 10-5 that has been fired very little 99% (like new).

Plinking, field carry and some limited HD use. Mostly 148 gr WC, 158 gr SWC and some 130 FMJ (I have several boxes of the 130 FMJ)...

I would appreciate honest opinions and your thoughts.

Thank you,

rick
    Maybe I'm having a brain fart? but what is HD
    Harsh Duty?
    Huntin' Ducks?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Super Moderator

HD=Home Defense? I don't know why it would be limited though. I have a 3" Model 10-7 that lives on the nightstand in case there is an confirmed unwelcome "bump in the night". I would also choose the 3" even though I already have one.

Boolit Master
    the -0 would be a 5 screw model that is desirable for some in the collectors side. The -5 would have the updated extractor assy (the star) and depending on the model it may be a 4 screw for the standard barrel frame or a 3 screw for the heavy barrel version. In either model I would check the barrel to cylinder gap (.003-.008) and cylinder recoil shield to cylinder (.062) right off the top to see if either is excessive.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My understanding is that the Model 10 -5 and later versions were all +P rated and the 3" barrel would also have a full-length ejector rod, not the short one used on the 2-inchers.

I know from personal experience and having done the repairs and having Rockwell hardness tested the frames, that the no-dash and earlier versions prior to -5 were SOFT, often not even registering on the Rockwell "C" scale. If you have ANY plans to EVER shoot ANY quantity of +P ammo in the revolver, get the -5!!!!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy

Well folks I appreciate your suggestions. I have the unfortunate task of paring down my modest firearm collection. (Notice I said grab not purchase) These are just two of my current S&W revolvers...several have to go for various reasons. Have all of my heirs taken care of and retirement plus health are limiting my time afield/range. I am fortunate enough to have family with UTVs that are willing to haul the old crippled guy around for some informal plinking. Enough about my situation...leaning toward keeping both of these and letting my 357 S&W revolvers go. Thank you all...

rick

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jonb_in_glencoe View Post
    maybe i'm having a brain fart? But what is hd
    harsh duty?
    Huntin' ducks?
    heavy barrel
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

The Model 10 is an American classic and for that reason I would want a 4" skinny barrel if I could only have one. Avoid +P loads except for occasional defense purposes, and you will never need to replace any parts.

My 10-2 Skinny barrel saw service with Montreal Police before falling into my hands.
    I also have a 64 HB. Fortunately I don't have to choose just one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S&W 10-2 (640x316).jpg   S&W 64.jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

I'd go with t he 3" myself. I have and old Ron Shirks 3" 66 that balances just fine and is still small enough to conceal.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Vendor Sponsor

I had my 4" Smith M-10-8 out today after shooting my two BP rifles. This hand gun was retired from service from somewhere on Long Island, NY.
    Elevation is good with my WC load at 7yds and out to 25yds, BUT (!!!) it puts everything about 3-4" left. Maybe it shows it's liberal bias.

Can the windage on these fixed sight revolvers be adjusted ? easily?
    Chill Wills

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    I had my 4" Smith M-10-8 out today after shooting my two BP rifles. This hand gun was retired from service from somewhere on Long Island, NY.
    Elevation is good with my WC load at 7yds and out to 25yds, BUT (!!!) it puts everything about 3-4" left. Maybe it shows it's liberal bias.

Can the windage on these fixed sight revolvers be adjusted ? easily?
    At the factory they rotate the barrel to correct windage. Any competent gunsmith or factory-trained former police armorer should be able to do it if you don't want to return it to the factory.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I like your idea of keping the two M10s and selling the .357s. I think a .357 should be in a stronger frame than a K and I think that's why there's L frames- for lots of magnum shooting.
    My dad has a 66 snub and since we only shoot .38s in it, it might as well be a 67 snub......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    At the factory they rotate the barrel to correct windage. Any competent gunsmith or factory-trained former police armorer should be able to do it if you don't want to return it to the factory.
    I may try a few other bullets and loads and see what is what. Then if it is a consistent problem I will talk to the local gun smith here. He is a grad from Trinidad State Collage and I think is reliable. Clockwise tighter! moves right!

I had the same problem of a 4-5/8"Colt 45 Colt Model P shooting left also, until I tried a load Elephant FFg under the bullet and then it shot to the sights, windage corrected. Wow!
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 01-11-2018 at 12:49 AM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy

I love my 4" pencil barrel. Whichever one you choose, thumb your nose at the collectors, and send it to Robar for their NP3+ finish. It will cost as much as the revolver, but you will be glad that you did.

I have a bucket of S&W revolvers and I would take the 4" no dash. They print good with standard
    158gr which is what they were designed for. The older S&W are a lot better fit and fininish than
    newer models. Shooting a few +Ps are not going to hurt it. When you plink & target you don't
    need +P. It is true 357s on K frame will not hold up to a steady diet of magnum loads. The 19 was
    built for police to have a light revolver firing the 357 mg. It was a trade off weight for power at
    the time only other choice was N frame 27&28 wich are heavy and big for cops to carry. The Colt
    Python is like a 19, they won't handle full power mag loads only. If you want to use mags by a L
    or a Ruger.

Boolit Buddy
    They still sell the wonder sight that attaches to to the sideplate screw and gives a traditional sight picture on these great revolvers and are adjustable. But they do add bulk on the top side. Still can be purchased on the website we cannot discuss

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12