Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataPBcastcoReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions S&W Model 10

Boolit Buddy

Suggestions S&W Model 10

I am trying to decide which S&W Model 10 I should grab. Can't grab both. Both are like new.

Number one is a 4" 10 (no dash) Pencil Barrel that is probably unfired.

Number two is a 3" 10-5 that has been fired very little 99% (like new).

Plinking, field carry and some limited HD use. Mostly 148 gr WC, 158 gr SWC and some 130 FMJ (I have several boxes of the 130 FMJ)...

I would appreciate honest opinions and your thoughts.

Thank you,

rick

Boolit Master

I'd vote for the 4" but you probably can't go wrong with ether one. Sorry not much help. I'm a sucker for the old Smiths and would probably buy one and put the second one on lay-a-way.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master

I would go with the dash 5. I know I would be reluctant to take an unfired model 10 woods bumming myself. The 3in is a neat one and kind of harder to find too.

Be advised that the 130gr. bullet will shoot low. The sights are regulated for the Model 10s for 148-158-60ish bullet weights. With 148gr. WCs or 158gr. RNFP or SWC my 10s will shot right to the sights like a target gun. With the lighter 130s they are low.

For HD that gun will do it. Load it with some 158gr. cast solids or HPs or even factory 158gr. HPs and you're good to go.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

I would go with the 3" myself, but I not a big fan of pencil barrels. I like the idea of getting one and putting the other in Layaway.

Banned
    They are both fine guns but I would go with the 4", pencil barrel, no dash model.

For starters, even though I have a HUGE admiration for 3" barreled DA revolvers, of those two choices I would prefer to have the no-dash 4" model.

For about as long as I can remember, I've had some type of 4" 38 Special K-Frame. They hold just about the perfect balance of capabilities for a handgun: accurate, reliable, reasonably powerful, incredibly versatile and easy to carry. I've owned (and currently own) both the pencil barrel and heavy barrel models and I have a slight affinity for the pencil barrel models. They are just slightly easier to carry.

If the 3" model 10-5 has a heavy barrel and the 4" model has a pencil barrel - there's a good chance they will be close in weight. If that's the case; the 4" will give a little more sight radius and velocity without being unwieldy.

With standard pressure 148 gr wadcutters and 158 grain semi-wadcutters, either of those guns would be excellent tools but the 4" may be slightly easier to shoot due to its slightly longer sight radius.
    Now, I really like 3" barreled revolvers and if I already had a 4" DA 38 Special revolver, I might go with the 3" 10-5.

Boolit Master

I'd go with the 4 inch barrel too. I like the slightly longer sight radius. 158 gr lead round nose works great in those guns.

Moderator Emeritus

When I was a young L.E. we were issued 4" heavy barrel Model 10's...they were tack drivers.....my dad had a navy pencil model....not near as accurate....
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The dash-5 will be easier to find replacement parts for. The no dash is an older gun.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I have a 10-5, 3" HB. Great shooter. I'd buy another in a New York Minute!

Boolit Master
    The 3" is MUCH harder to find. The 4" tapered is pretty common. My first GOOD gun was a 4" tapered, and I still have it, but my vote is the 3" based on rarity. The 4" tapered can be replaced any day of the week.

Banned
    There's no doubt in my mind that a heavy barrel revolver, "hangs" a bit better (is easier to hold steady) due to its extra muzzle forward weight. There is also little doubt that the muzzle heavy guns are faster on follow up shots due to that heavier barrel.
    The counter to those points are the times when you are NOT shooting the gun. The 99% (or 99.999%) of the time that the gun is just riding in a holster, that extra weight isn't a benefit.

There's a difference between a target gun and a carry gun.

As to the no dash model vs. the dash 5 model - I must say that Outpost75 is totally correct. If you find yourself in need of parts, the dash 5 will be easier to repair. That being said, if the no dash model 10 isn't abused, the need for spare parts will be minimal. If it was the ONLY 38 Special DA revolver in my inventory, I might be inclined to go with the 3" dash 5.

Boolit Master

I started in LE and we had pencil and heavy barrels. I had a 3" 357 Taurus, but it was a square butt and now have a 4" M13. I really wish I could find a 3" M10 or M13 Round Butt. I love the way they feel. My brother has one of those short run 3" RB in 9mm they were trying to market to the French Police in the 1980s. Don't know how it shoots, never will, nor will he, as there are not many around.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Grand Master
    I would be happy with either example. I give slight favor to the -5 x 3" due to it likely being "+P certified" by the maker, and Outpost 75's point about relative ease of finding repair parts is good counsel.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

id take the 3 inch

Boolit Master

I've got a 4" model 10 HB suare butt. I like the HB profile over the pencil barrel. Originally planned on cutting it back to 3", dovetail lamped front sight and the Novakish style rear on the new pro models. Smoothed and rounded the narrow trigger and left the hammer spur for now, undecided. If ya want, we can trade. Been looking for a cheap 13-3 or 65 to do this too also.

3" hands down. I carried a 2" model 10 for 4 years and shot a 284/300 min or better every qualification. The only thing you miss alittle of with a 3" over a 4" is alittle velocity but gain a bunch of carry comfort. You really want to make it slick, send iut the cylinder to get cut for 6 shot moon clips.

I'm with the 3" crowd. Once you own and shoot a 3" K frame, you pretty much feel empty if you don't have one in your stable. I have two in 357 Magnum. I'd snap up a 38 Special without hesitation if the opportunity arose.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

I would go for the 3". They are much harder to find especially in the condition you describe.
    regards,

Boolit Master

If the 3" has the round butt grip jump on it!
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

I prefer the heavy barrel profile. Grabbing the 3” would be my decision if I were in your shoes. Good luck in your decision!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    If the 3" has the round butt grip jump on it!
    Ah, I didn't even think about the 10-5 3" having a round butt grip frame, that would probably push me in that direction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast