Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2PBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: DougGuy on 45 S&W revolvers

Boolit Buddy

DougGuy on 45 S&W revolvers

I just came from a fantastic middle of the week visit with DougGuy, after having followed him for several years here and knowing that he could probably help with some of my various handgun difficulties. He certainly proved that in the last 48 hours!

For years I have been trying to get two model 625's in 45 ACP/AutoRim to chamber cartridges with .452 cast bullets. One of these is 625-2, model of 1988, and the other a JM 625-8. If there was any full diameter bullet beyond the case mouth, the cartridge simply could not be inserted. If I somehow managed to seat one of these deeply enough, so that it would chamber, the bullet was passing through a restricted chamber so leading just beyond the forcing cone was the absolute rule. Doug uniformed and enlarged the chamber mouths perfectly, and now, shooting bullets which have the full diameter driving band (Keith and others) beyond the case mouth is no problem. Lots of additional benefits followed besides just being able to chamber the cartridges, Because this allows you to seat bullets out,you increase case capacity, and lower pressures, and by no longer restricting bullets before they get to the forcing cone, leading is tremendously reduced or eliminated. Of course, accuracy is enhanced, but because the narrower bore is not affected, there is not an issue with still shooting typical 0.451 jacketed bullets.

While he was at it, I asked him to do the same work on a 45 colt 25-7 model of 1989, with similar problems, and similar benefits after his treatment.

Just a word, about the above notes. The opening of the chamber mouths was very important, but as Doug pointed out, uniforming those mouths, which were not at all the same when he started, is of tremendous importance as well.

I was delighted with the results, and being able to simply plunk the 45 ARs into those cylinders, and then have the cylinder close freely without binding, is the ultimate realization of what these revolver's can be. The disappearance of the leading which previously started at the forcing cone and with forward was also a welcome change. It is important to recognize that Ruger and Smith and Wesson do not intend to manufacture these revolvers optimized for cast bullets. Ultimately, they are still intended for jacketed ball ammunition, but in my opinion benefit tremendously from simple modifications to accommodate that minority of revolver shooters who cast their own bullets.

Banned
    denul,

AGREED. = I wish that I still had my Brazilian surplus S&W Model of 1927, as it shot beautifully with ball, SWC or any sort of other .45ACP/AR that I tried in it.
    (It was stolen in a house burglary 2 years ago.)

yours, tex

Boolit Buddy
    texasnative46,

Condolences on your loss, and I agree with your assessment of the Brazilian Smith and Wessons, because they are in my experience more versatile than the more modern productions.

Yes I agree, Doug does great work.