Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry Big Boy Brass in 357 mag or 30-30

Henry Big Boy Brass in 357 mag or 30-30

Is anyone here shooting a Henry Brass Big Boy in 30-30 or 357 mag. ? Like to hear how it is working out for you.

Boolit Master

If your hunting 30-30 but if your plinking 357 magnum. Mind works great.

Would be mostly plinking

Boolit Master

Get the 357 magnum way more fun than 30-30 and more options bullets and loads.

30-30 will plink, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

One thing is for sure: If you get a .357 lever gun, you HAVE to get a 357 wheel gun... Just sayin'.
    AND if you already have a 357 wheel gun, it's a no-brainer!

Boolit Master

A 30-30 can plink but not near as well as a 357 or as cheap. I load the Lee 125gr RNFP with 3.5gr of Bullseye and what a hoot to shoot to 50yds. Same load with 10grs of 2400 is another good load in 357 brass.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    30-30 will plink, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I have both my 30-30 is a 1947 Winchester 94 and I have many a cast bullet out of it. But to no where as easy as the 357 Henry.

I have both and prefer the 357 over the 30/30, it's just easier to knock out a bunch of straight walled pistol ammo for range use. I did load light plinking ammo in 30/30, but it's more trouble, and the point of impact was way off. So it wasn't worth the trouble, at least for me.

Third choice would be the 327. But I know nothing about it, will it feed the 32 short on up to the 327 ?

Boolit Master
    Have both, but for playing around and for deer hunting in close cover I prefer the 357 it shoots fantastic. Great gun for fast action shooting and levering from the shoulder easy to stay on target. I use a small red dot on mine it is allot of fun.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Third choice would be the 327. But I know nothing about it, will it feed the 32 short on up to the 327 ?
    I have a Henry brass Big Boy .357mag that shoots great.
    I haven't had it for long, but have had zero issues.
    I also have the Mossberg 464 in .30-30 and used it last year to drop a small buck in his tracks.
    I prefer the .357 over the .30-30 for plinking, but the .30-30 for longer range work on animals.

I also have a brand new Big Boy steel in .327 Federal magnum and absolutely love it.
    It shoots fantastic, feeds and spits out .32S&W, .32S&W long, .32 H&R mag, and .327 Fed/mag
    I do plan to take a deer with the .327 but want to make sure it's a close shot.

Boolit Master
    I've been looking hard at the big loop carbines in .357. That brass model sure is a looker. Given the possibility of getting one with stand out wood I would like to find one at a dealer as opposed to Gun Broker or Buds. I would pick up a .327 or .44 with nice stocks instead of a .357 too.

Ive had the brass Henry 357 for quite a few years and its always performed flawlessly. If I was to buy one over again I would buy the carbine model because of the way they handle. I have one in a 45 colt and love it. By the way soon to be released in the color case hardened look also. Al
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    I've been looking hard at the big loop carbines in .357. That brass model sure is a looker. Given the possibility of getting one with stand out wood I would like to find one at a dealer as opposed to Gun Broker or Buds. I would pick up a .327 or .44 with nice stocks instead of a .357 too.
    Before I bought my Big Boy in 41 mag, I looked at quite a few Henry Big Boy rifles in various calibers, at the LGS and Cabela's and the Farm stores that carry guns, as well as Gunshows. I've never seen one with "stand out wood", I know you can order some custom stuff from them, which I assume would also include some fancy wood options (although I've never checked into it). It seems to me, that Henry works hard at using only straight grained dark colored walnut stocks on their entry level rifles.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    I own the 357 rifle version. I much prefer that to shooting any other lever gun that I've owned. For me it just fits, shoots, and points like it was meant for me. I have yet to find something that doesn't feed through it, as my current load is the 180 grain Ranch Dog boolit, and that performs very very well out to and past 100 yards for me. I have managed to shoot the carbine version also, as a friend purchased that one. I prefer the rifle length it seems to balance better for me. I cannot say what is a 30-30 or the 357 is the better one, but if you are going to do mostly blinking then I would suggest the 357.
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TMenezes View Post
    I have both and prefer the 357 over the 30/30, it's just easier to knock out a bunch of straight walled pistol ammo for range use. I did load light plinking ammo in 30/30, but it's more trouble, and the point of impact was way off. So it wasn't worth the trouble, at least for me.
    Agree on that 100% as to caliber to get. All of my plinking loads are in cheap .38 Spl brass.
    Don Verna

Does it seem the Brass Frame is holding up ?

Boolit Buddy
    Mine is.

No signs of undo wear. I keep it lubed, as it should be, and it is as butter smooth as when first pulled from box.

I read the receiver is an alloy of sorts, not just brass, but looks much like brass. The alloy was chosen for wear characteristics and looks.
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Boolit Master

I got to shoot a friend's big boy Henry yesterday and it is way to much fun to shoot and what a smooth action.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast