ADvertise hereRotoMetals2Graf & SonsTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyStainLess Steel MediaLee PrecisionInline Fabrication

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Henry Big Boy Brass in 357 mag or 30-30

Boolit Man
    I know the brass model looks cool but at least check out the 357 Big Boy Steel model.
    It's about 1-1/2 pounds lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
    I know the brass model looks cool but at least check out the 357 Big Boy Steel model.
    It's about 1-1/2 pounds lighter.

When I bought my Big Boy Steel, I had that same discussion with several people that asked me why I didn't get the Brass framed Henry. It's one thing to read the numbers (weight in pounds/ounces), but it's another thing to handle one of each one, side by side. Luckily, my LGS where I ordered my rifle from, had some of each on the shelf (just not one in the caliber I wanted).

A couple more questions on the Brass frame 357 model. Has there been any feeding problems with hand loads that have a COL a little longer then factory rounds. any problems with SWC type bullet? Can a Receiver sight or scope be easily installed. My eyes are getting old

Boolit Buddy
    Obviously you need one of each chambering!

Both the Steel and Brass are drilled and tapped for a scope or a receiver sight. Henry recommends the skinner sight. Skinner has a receiver sight and a barrel mount peep sight that replaces there rear factory buckhorn sight. As far as over all length that depends on the gun itself. Mine will feed them but not as well as it does when they dont exceed the recommended over all length. SWC also depends on the bullet itself. But Im not one who uses a swc on a lever gun to begin with because I dont think thats a good application for that type of bullet.
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Boolit Master

Truncated cone bullets work smooth as butter in about everything I have tried them. I like them and they are accurate too in my .45 acp and .357 magnum. I haven't tried them in a .45 colt yet. james

Boolit Mold
    Why not consider .44 magnum or .45 Colt??

The .44 magnum version does what the .30-30 does out to 100 yards just as well.
    or
    The .45 Colt can be loaded to .44 magnum velocities with the same bullet weights, and with lower chamber pressures, thanks to it's greater case volume.
    and
    The .45 Colt Big Boy has a 1:16 twist, allowing it to shoot standard factory or low velocity cowboy loads with equal accuracy.
    and
    That same twist will stabilize heavier bullets with reasonable higher velocity loads similar to heavy bullet .44 magnum loads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12