Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: 315 HBWC in a .32 ML?

315 HBWC in a .32 ML?

I was looking at some bullet designs offered by NOE and came across a HBWC intended for the 32 S&W long and started thinking that it might just work in a 32 caliber TC Cherokee as a light plinking and small game load. Looks like a perfect little 32 Minie ball. The TC has a 1:30 twist barrel. Anybody out there ever played with anything like this before?

Jeff
    A woman has the last word in any argument.
    Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't but also thought of it. My 32s have a 1/48 twist thought so yours actually has a better chance of working with the 1/30 twist.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy
    Keep us updated if you try this out

Tried that, didn't work. They are way undersized as is, and even though I got a good fit by paper patching, they never shot very well. Hornady swaged bullets, and a TC and a Dixie rifle.

I've tried various combinations trying to get Green Mountain .40 barrels to shoot other than round ball, with varying degrees of success. Lubed lead, paper patched, more powder, less powder...
    Getting consistent enough results just never happened: Good, looking good, flyer, good, looking good, flyer.
    Finally decided that the biggest problem was that short boolits lack inertia, therefore being difficult to spread out to fill the rifling. 2nd problem seems to be that the rifling wasn't scaled down with the reduction in bore diameter.

All that said, why wouldn't a small bore minie barrel work with a properly designed boolit?
    I'd like to have a barrel to shoot the hollow base Lyman #386178 and .380 round ball. Perhaps it would shoot the NEI #194 (.388-198-PB) SWC like a maxi.

Boolit Master
    I used to swag these and .358 HBWC to sell to the cartridge conversion customers. An infrequent customer from Kansas would buy 1-200 of each to use in his M.L.s. Reported good results. Swagged from pure Pb. The wet conditions for 8 days after the fire ruined my C-H 4D dies.

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    Not so much in a .32 cal. but I have been playing around with fast twist .36. I have a 14 twist .360/.368 (custom Oregon barrel) that does very well with a GG accurate 36-270L. Im now in the process of building a Smokeless spec ML from a 9.3mm (Krieger) barrel. ( .358/.366, 1-14 twist) I plan to try .35 whelen bullets or even full formed 9.3. I am just a small caliber nut, and like to tinker.