Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingPBcastco
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Winchester 94 .32-40 John Wayne commemorative

Boolit Buddy

Winchester 94 .32-40 John Wayne commemorative

Anybody have one? I might have a chance to pick one up. Brass can be made from many more common sources. If I pick it up it'll be used, I don't care much for the sintered metal years commemoratives but some of them really shoot. Who's got experience with this one?

Quote Originally Posted by HawkCreek View Post
    Anybody have one? I might have a chance to pick one up. Brass can be made from many more common sources. If I pick it up it'll be used, I don't care much for the sintered metal years commemoratives but some of them really shoot. Who's got experience with this one?
    Im a Big 32-40 fan!! and the John Wayne Carbine is a Great Shooter !! I have the Winchester Collector issue and Its right on!!! I changed the rear
    sight to a full California Buck Horn and that was a well need improvement !!!

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Master

32-40 is a fun and relatively scarce round to shoot - I break mine out to shoot the levergun silhouette match every once and awhile. I have an 1893 Marlin that started life as a 32 Special in 1902, and an old shooting buddy re-lined it and chambered it for 32-40. I inherited it when he died, and was lucky enough to also inherit several hundred rounds of Winchester brass with it.
    I've contacted Starline several times to ask why they will not make 32-40 brass, but have never got a straight answer from them. Luckily 30-30 or 38-55 can be formed without too much trouble...

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    This is a great cartridge.
    I was working for a shop back in 1980 in Flagstaff called Andy's sporting goods and liquor at the time and we had 4 or five come in, and can you believe it two of them had consecutive serial numbers, bet you can't guess who's safe they went into. Commemorative ammo can still be found, but it will be nickel plated, I haven't ever seen any new brass that wasn't plated. Would be nice if Winchester or someone would do a limited run of 5000 or so. With the right mold it would be a nice woods gun for big game.

You can down load a 30-30 with a lead bullet and imagine your shooting a 32-40.

Boolit Master
    I believe the "sintered metal" story is incorrect,and the recievers are actually investment cast from graphitic nodular iron.Hardened and tempered.I have always thought the sintered metal claim to be a nonsense,as the cast surface and a gate pad are visible under the tang......but many small parts are sintered metal,as has been common in most guns from the 60s onward.

With my 32-40 guns I have a bit over 400 rounds of the head stamp 32-40 !!! Glad i have what I have ...... On top of all this I do form 30-30 into 32-40
    and shoot that just to keep the use factor down on the good stuff LoL Ol Deuce

Boolit Buddy

Gents- I too am a big fan of the 32-40- 3 single shot rifles to feed- incredibly pleasant to shoot, minimal recoil or noise, cast boolits are easy to find (or cast), and easy on the bore. As noted above, case is easy to make a serviceable case out of either 30wcf, 32spl, or better yet, Starline's readily available 38-55----too easy to keep ammo seperated (30wcf and 32-40 ) if the headstamp is different.
    A big note to all- Load-X Ammo out of Santa Rosa,(707-579-0990) Calif is currently stocking and selling 32-40 in new cases with the proper headstamp

Boolit Master
    All my ammo is marked on their Base: Head stamped (originals) are >Green sharpie. All other substitute brass > Red sharpie.

Just so all you know: 32 special brass re-sized for 32-40 use I consider target shooting cartridges. I will bother to pick up empty's .~~ Sometimes not. On those occasion such brass stays where it lays.

The only true substitute cartridge brass for the 32-40: 38-55. ~~~All others are {1/4" short} want-a-be's.

Boolit Master

GEEZ,
    I got mine new at time of issue as a wedding present from my WIFE. The following XMAS I got the Wall Rack & Saddle Scabbard.
    If I were to shot it...??? I might as well shoot myself with it afterwards.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    Shame on you for interjecting logic into the discussion!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    Oh But it's just not the same !!! the 30-30 barks way more.......tehehe

Ol Deuce

Boolit Buddy

I have the John Wayne com, it has never been fired. Cabelas had one for sale and sold it for nearly $2000. I hate to fire mine I inherited it from a friend.
    Clyde
    COL USA RET

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    I believe the "sintered metal" story is incorrect,and the recievers are actually investment cast from graphitic nodular iron.Hardened and tempered.I have always thought the sintered metal claim to be a nonsense,as the cast surface and a gate pad are visible under the tang......but many small parts are sintered metal,as has been common in most guns from the 60s onward.

FWIW: http://www.du-lite.com/dulite_94_win_oxide.html

During the early 1960's, the Winchester Model 94 was redesigned to accommodate a more economical method of production.

The re-engineered receivers were machined from a graphitic steel casting.

This new material would not accept the normal bluing process, used by Winchester since 1940, without discoloration.

The colors could vary from copper to plum red, depending upon the individual piece.

There were three different blackening processes used by Winchester on these receivers between 1964 and 1981.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride