PBcastcoReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: New 45-70 Marlin

New 45-70 Marlin

I recently picked up a Marlin 1895. When I decided to buy, I brought a borescope so I was sure that the rifling was uniform, etc. The fit/finish is good. It's a nice gun.
    It took me a little while to get the sights in properly, but it shoots really straight.

I did a nice ladder of 4198 and another of varget - so now I know what shoots well for me and I know where my pain point is.

Anyway, I heard the horror stories and the one I picked up was a nice good gun.

Attachment 211024

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    That's great news! I'm glad they are still turning out something useful. Happy shooting!!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Glad to hear you are happy with your purchase. I recently picked up an 1895G made in 2015. The cold weather has kept me from doing much shooting with it, but I am yet to find any faults with the gun itself. This is the 2nd Remlin I've purchased and the only negative thing I can say is that the bluing isn't quite as nice or uniform as on the JM Marlins that I own. As with most things, I'm sure there are many more good guns out there than bad ones, but the people with the good ones aren't plastering their praises all over the internet like the folks who ended up with a piece of junk...

Boolit Master
    I hate making sweeping assumptions about a company or product on a small sample of reviews. I am happy for you that you have gun you satisfied with and enjoy because that's the most important thing that you feel you have spent your money and hit what you paid for. Enjoy

I've shot it a bit more and it is accurate. I scoped it and can put three together within an 1" at 100 yards. I'm experimenting on what loads, but so far about 50 grn varget on a 405 grn boolit is super accurate and has a moderate kick to it.
    I'm playing around with 4198 loads with the 405 and with both 4198 and varget on some 500 grn ers...

But that gun shoots straight and it really is a good gun.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    What kind of a boolit are you using? I'm fixing to roll some for my 1895 with the Lee 459-405-HB.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

I've been shooting the 46-405E and 46-405EG from accurate molds. I've sized them to .459.

I would buy a Remlin, and looked at one in Walmart. But they had a trigger lock on it so that you could not open the action and look it over. The clerk told me that was the law. Funny how the LGS and others don do that. Will not buy a Remlin (or any gun when I think about it) under those conditions. I shot a lot of game with Remingtons and found the model 87 semi auto to be a good gun but heavy, I have a 97 22 that's tough as nails and had a 700 in 270 that I sued for years but did not like the 270 in that configuration and sold it off.
    The Remington 870 pump was a pretty good gun also and I have heard more than one comment like yours about how well the new ones shoot.

DEP

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    I've shot it a bit more and it is accurate. I scoped it and can put three together within an 1" at 100 yards. I'm experimenting on what loads, but so far about 50 grn varget on a 405 grn boolit is super accurate and has a moderate kick to it.
    I'm playing around with 4198 loads with the 405 and with both 4198 and varget on some 500 grn ers...

But that gun shoots straight and it really is a good gun.

The 50gr Varget and a 405 WFN is my go to. Sub MOA at 100 for me in most my Marlin 45/70s.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The 1895 doesn't seem to have suffered nearly as much as the others from the transition to Remlin. My local shop has had both the late JM and Remlin 1895's in stock and I couldn't see any differences other than the markings.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

When Remlin Shut down their production line in 2011 they put in all new CNC machinery , it took them a little while to get that up an running straight, If you go on any of the online gun dealers they loads of them for sale an with good reports.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had a Remlin 1895 for a few years, found it to be as accurate as my older Guide Gun. Even likes the same loads! Wood is the typical ugly Remlin paint job and the trigger was pretty disappointing but I fixed the trigger issues and I can live with the ugly wood....for now.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats! I'm really wanting one.... Just gotta convince The Boss that I need another deer rifle LOL