Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 45acp revolver

Boolit Master

45acp revolver

Does anyone have hands on experience with the Charter Arms .45 acp revolver?
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I don't but have shot the Charter in .44 Special. It was a special and, to me, unpleasant experience due to recoil and a poor double action trigger pull. I have shot a S&W 1917 and used to own a Colt New Service in .45 Colt cut down to belly gun dimension and they were pleasant guns to shoot.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't have a Charter Arms but do have a Taurus model 455, 5 shot , 2 inch ported barrel, snub nosed revolver.
    I like this one a lot...perceived recoil is less than my 1911 45 acp. It may be the barrel porting but I think it's because there is no slide slamming back then forward.
    The little thing is very accurate , I love it !
    I bought the 45 acp instead of the 44 special because I have several 45,s and have been reloading and casting for that round for years. I think the 45 acp is a good choice for reloading...target and self preservation .

My daughter did have a Charter Arms in 44 special, I shot it a few times and had no unpleasant experiences with it.
    Large bore revolvers throw large boolits so a little recoil is expected. I still prefer the 45 acp in the small revolver.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I've seen one of the CA 45's and it was on it's way back to the manufacturer for warranty. It was replaced within a few days and the owner seems very satisfied.

Boolit Master
    There's quite a few reviews of them on YouTube.

Boolit Master
    I found out that due to my neuropathy I can no longer disassemble my Glock 19. Neither can I shoot it as accurately as I used to, because there is no feeling in my fingers. I thought about a 9mm revolver, but I have two pistols. I also have a pile of .45 acp brass and a gazillion and three cast boolits for the .45, so a revolver with an exposed hammer would seem to make sense, especially if I don't have moon clips to fiddle with.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Yes...

Mine is decent. The trigger is OK. The stainless steel sights don't have much contrast so I painted the front black. The mechanism used to hold and eject the rounds in place works well once you get used to it, however it's easier to use moonclips to load and unload a revolver.

Shooting full strength .45 ACP ammo through a 20 ounce gun feels like catching a 100MPh fast ball with your bare hand. I've considered selling mine because it rarely gets shot. My S&W 325 PD is a much smoother gun but cost $300 more.