RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Vice

Boolit Master
    I'm happy my pun was taken in the spirit in which it was meant. I enjoy richhodg66's posts and meant no sarcasm nor disrespect.

While the farriers I used to know, carried separate vises and anvils on their trucks, I'm a little ashamed I didn't recognize the vise, as back in my 30s I was training horses as a sideline and had considered seeking an apprenticeship with a farrier.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    Nice score! These vises are pretty good all around shop tools, but aren't particularly good anvils (being cast iron, they tend to be brittle and break under heavy usage), so don't be too tempted to do any heavy hammering. Normal shop and farm repairs it's great for though!
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    I'm happy my pun was taken in the spirit in which it was meant. I enjoy richhodg66's posts and meant no sarcasm nor disrespect.

While the farriers I used to know, carried separate vises and anvils on their trucks, I'm a little ashamed I didn't recognize the vise, as back in my 30s I was training horses as a sideline and had considered seeking an apprenticeship with a farrier.
    None of our Farriers ever carried anything like this...it's neither a good anvil nor a good vise but it looks interesting. Might work out in a garage shop so long as you didn't need to open it too wide for anything. Just a rusty old piece of Americana.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I would love to have that in my gun shop for gun work. You don't need a monster . Rail Road rail makes a good one if you can do the converting work to make it. That one can be out side for rough stuff. Wheel bearing grease inside for threads as it can take the heat.

Boolit Buddy
    The only vice I got left is Coffee, gave all the others up years ago. Sept for guns n ammo

Boolit Master

That is one beautiful piece of cast steel.

Congrats on a great purchase!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Rich that might be out of the k-state foundry. The markings are usually ks co ag or some abbreviation of Kansas college of ag. They used to do quite a bit of cast iron work and lots of billet/ poured base anvils. I have a 175 pound anvil from one of the big pours in the 20s.

Boolit Buddy
    Rich: That's a nice anvil vise, Had a kid at our blacksmith guild buy one to use for knife making.
    He pounded so hard that he cracked the anvil face. Tried to tell him but he wouldn't believe that
    he would crack it. Best used for straighting out nails or capping rivets. wirebrush and wipe down
    with past wax to keep the antique look.
    Dave

Banned

I still haven't done anything with it, need to do that. No way am I going to do the kind of work that would hurt it, just not in me, LOL.

I will check for any markings that might identify it as a K state product. No way this weighs 175 pounds though, I'm guessing 50.

Boolit Buddy
    My old vices involved liquor and women. Now I'm too old for one, and too young for the other. Yours is very cool.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12