Load DataInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Vice

Banned

Old Vice

Picked this up this evening. Young fella had it advertised locally, apparently he knows a 94 year old gentleman who lives on his family's century farm go through some old outbuildings and take a few old things to sell off. Best guess is that it dates back to 1910 or so. Pretty sure a little penetrating oil an she'll work great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vice.jpg 
Views:	952 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	211447

Boolit Master

I'm jealous. A vice and and Anvil all in one. Mine are all single use devices.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

That looks like a very solid vise. with the screw mounted that high on the jaws they should stay parallel and true to each other under a lot of force also. A set of copper or lead jaw covers for it or better if it has removable jaws a set of each for it and your good to go. I have jaws and covers made for my one vise since I don't always want to take the time to change out the jaws.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Sweet. Now, the only project might be to beef up the bench before you mount it.

Boolit Master

thats a beast of a vise. definately a score.

Boolit Buddy
    How many men and boys did it take to lift that thing?!

Banned

Just me, but it is heavy. Honestly, I'm going to have to build something to mount it too, my work bench isn't strong enough.

What is the maximum jaw opening?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    That is a nice vice and I believe fairly rare as well.

That's a functioning piece of Americana right there! Please don't paint it. Does it have a maker's name on it?

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    If you want to know why old vises cost so much, it is the thread on the garage journal with 9.5 million views and 62 thousand posts about old vises.
    Those guys get all hopped up on the internet and then do a bidding war on Ebay. The mass of a vise may go up as the cube of the jaw width, but the price goes up faster.

It is a farriers anvil vice.

Boolit Master
    I'm ashamed to say that I have more vices, than vises.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Funny, but true huh?
    My Dad used to talk with Mom about vice work in the SO...as a kid I couldn't imagine what a bunch of Cops did with a vise. Maybe cuff a prisoner to one and threaten to chunk him in the Houston Ship Channel? Talk or swim skum!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    It is a farriers anvil vice.
    This is what I thought. Came off an old century farm here and back in the day, if you farmed, that pretty much meant you had to have the ability to shoe horses.

I need to take a closer look at it, I honestly didn't do anything with it except take it home and put it in the barn. It's gonna need some penetrating oil, stuck at the moment, but doesn't look bad, I'm pretty sure it'll work out well. I'll see if there's a manufacturer name on it.

"Vice" verses "Vise". Can't believe I made that mistake, I'm normally kind of nit picky about that sort of thing.

Boolit Master
    Now that does look a good one. The screw almost on a level with the jaws should give a better grip than one under the bottom of the gap - and you get a deeper gap for wide objects.

You might find that a few cycles of heating and cooling would loosen up the seized thread, at least enough to give penetrating and easing oil better access. Unless it has removable hard jaws, which it probably doesn't, it won't be dependent on heat-treatment. Then either sandblasting or hydrochloric or phosphoric acid after dismantling and degreasing, then some hammer-finish spray paint in a chaste but impressive colour... I would paint it, as a lot of them were when new. But if you object, do you still have blacklead, actually not a lead product but a graphite paste, used on cast-iron stoves? Somewhere underground there is a dead designer who would want this job done right.
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 01-17-2018 at 08:15 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    If you want to know why old vises cost so much, it is the thread on the garage journal with 9.5 million views and 62 thousand posts about old vises.
    Those guys get all hopped up on the internet and then do a bidding war on Ebay. The mass of a vise may go up as the cube of the jaw width, but the price goes up faster.
    Tool collectors who don't use them for work are The Enemy for those who do. Living on a relatively small island has its advantages for anything large or difficult to pack, though. On eBay "Collection only" makes a big difference to the prices realised.

I've been watching a long time for a very large O-shaped rather than C-shaped pipe vice, which could make a good barrel vice if it is forged steel rather than cast iron.

I have more vises than vices but the vices still get me into more trouble.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Ah, pun and word play makes my day.
    Chill Wills

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    I had professors from the psychology and genetics departments of the university of Washington come to my house to draw blood and give me an IQ test.
    They are tracing a bad spelling gene. I have it. Enabling internet level spell check on Chrome allows me to lead a normal life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast