Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Group Buy - MMA's 44 KEITH SWC

Boolit Master

Group Buy - MMA's 44 KEITH SWC

Even though the Catshooter is back, he has graciously conceded to let me run my own version of the Keith SWC in 44 Caliber. My version is different than his which ran about a year and a half ago. I want to be sure to mention that Cat IS running a 44-caliber boolit soon. His will be a medium-weight RNFP. So, if you want an economical boolit for using in your lever-gun or for CAS, definitely check out his group buy for that. (When it goes up, I’ll put a link here.)

Back to the KEITH –

Many of you saw or posted to the interest thread (here). Basically, there are a LOT of moulds out there that call themselves a KEITH or KEITH-TYPE boolit. We went back and read what Elmer had to say about his boolit design, as well as sampled many old and new boolits (mostly thanks to member GLL – we all owe him a debt of gratitude for helping with this), that claim to be, or really are, Keith-style boolits. After doing a lot of measuring and comparing, the following design has been established:

Here’s the drawing:

Some specifics:
    The front and middle drive bands are as close to an RCBS 44-250-KT (part #82044) as we're going to get. They are exactly the same width as close as I can measure them.

The crimp groove is very, very close to the Ballisti-Cast #1103, which is, of course, the heir to the original H&G #503, a mould Elmer praised in his later years as being the only “real” Keith mould available then (the early 70s). (I would also point out that this crimp groove is extremely similar to the OLD Ideal #429421; therefore, I believe the Ballisti-Cast moulds of today are still quite authentic to the original Keith.) A side-benefit of this type crimp groove is that it will hold some lube in there, if you’re so inclined to put it there.

The meplat and nose shape is as close to the RCBS & Ideal boolits as possible. The meplat measurements are virtually identical to the RCBS. This is a slight variance from the original Keith, because it is wider by a few thousandths. When it comes to meplats; wider IS better...

The base band was modified to be a little longer than the middle and front bands. This was to resist the hotter, slower-burning powders of today and to make sure the steering end of the boolit had a good long length. This helps accuracy, avoids leading, and helps the balance of the bullet. It’s so little longer than the mid and front bands that it’s hard to see a difference by eye.

The lube groove is modified as well. The only criticism I had of the RCBS 82044 was that the lube groove seemed shallow (but not necessarily too small in width). I also did not think the enormously wide and deep lube groove of the Ideal 429421 was necessary thanks to our modern lubes working so much better. BUT, I didn't want anyone shooting traditional lubes, like 50/50 or SPG, etc., to suffer from insufficient lube, so I sized the lube groove to be deeper then the RCBS, but the same width. This provides enough lube volume without being excessively large.

The weight is a little on the heavy side. Depending on how close Lee cuts it, this boolit will weigh out at 265grs from straight WWs and a few grains lighter (~260-262grs or so) out of WW+2% tin. While I know Keith often disparaged designs that claimed to follow his formula, but turned out heavier, this design doesn't go too heavy, and it really does follow all of his principles. Also, keep in mind that Keith cast from 1:16 tin-to-lead, so this would account for a little (very little) weight difference in our favor also.

So, is this an EXACT duplicate of a Keith boolit? No. It is really, really close, though. The changes are very slight and are only incorporated to address changes due to modern powders and lubes. The important principles that Elmer outlined as absolute requirements are still there.

Here's a sketch of it in the chamber of a 44 Spl. (Please note the crimp groove is not the same as the final version, but all other dimensions are.)

PLEASE NOTE!! As you can see, this bullet has a long, full-diameter front band. Note how it will engage and jam in the throat of a chamber (revolver or rifle), if you do not size the boolit to your throat diameter. Recall that Elmer wanted this, because it centers the cartridge and boolit in the chamber. I just want you to be aware, because if you buy this mould, you must measure your throats and size accordingly. (Probably something most if not all members of this forum know and do anyway, but I had to have a disclaimer about this.)

Another disclaimer: Keith SWCs have TOO LONG of a front band and out-of-case length to feed properly in many/most lever-action rifles. This is usually dealt with by seating the boolit so that the front edge of the front band sits even with the case mouth. (Or just above it, with a separate crimp die crimping the mouth into the front band somewhere.) However, I’m making no promises this boolit will work in your lever-action. If you want a boolit that will feed in your lever-gun, please check out Catshooter’s medium-weight RNFP group buy that will be up soon, if not already.

I am specifying this mould be cut to .433”, which means that it will drop from the mould at about .432”. Given Lee’s tolerance of +/-.000” to +.003”, these could come out as big as .435”, but we won’t really know until we get the moulds from Lee. Of course, you can size down, or if they are too small for your application, Beagling is the fix.

Cost of this Group buy will be $69 per 6-cavity Lee Aluminum mould, shipping included. (There’s a $1 donation for this website, and some money to provide free moulds to a couple people who were instrumental in helping this design/group buy come about.)

As on all of my group buys, please post below if you are in. Once I get a firm 25-30 moulds ordered, I will PM you payment info and ask for your return shipping address. If you live outside the USA, note that in your post, and I’ll address shipping costs in my PM back to you.

Isn’t she beautiful?

Boolit Master

I'm In

One mould for EDK please.

Let me know when and where for the yankee dollars.

Thanks to everyone who helped put this together.

Boolit Bub
    I'll take one.

Boolit Buddy

Group Buy- MMA's 44 KEITH SWC

I need one of these to feed my Rugers. I have never played this game before so please be gentle on me and let me know what I need to do and where to send how many U.S. dollars and in what form.

Big Dale Wilkinson 75023
    Brimbum@aol.com

Boolit Master

Big Dale,
    WELCOME!!! I'll be gentle with you, but you still may not like me. Once you start getting custom gang moulds from the group buys here, you are more than likely going to become addicted...

The ordering process is simple. Lee has a minimum order to waive the set-up fee. (25 moulds). If we don't go over that number, the price will go up a little, because I have to factor in the set-up fee. (I'm sure we'll go over that number for this boolit.) Once I'm confident we will go over that number, I send you a Private Message here at Cast Boolits explaining where to send the money along with your real name and shipping address. Once I get everyone's (or almost everyones) order, I ship off the drawing and a check to Lee, and declare the group buy closed.

Then, the REALLY HARD PART begins: waiting for our order to move through the process at Lee. Right now, this is taking an amazing 9 months....

Once they come in, I re-ship them to you for your casting and shooting pleasure.

Thanks EDK and 38 Spl. I want at least one of these myself, so we're at a solid four for now... We'll let this run for awhile. I didn't put an end target-date, because there are always folks who come here intermittently, especially in the Summer time. So, we may let this run for a little while, just to get as many in as possible. (It never works out that you actually get EVERY one in who wants in, but we'll try to give everybody a chance.)

Boolit Master

Update!

I got to thinking about the reputation Keith boolits have for not feeding in lever-actions, and recalled that I had a buddy with an old 92 which would not feed them very well. I also realized I'd never tried any through my new Marlin 1894SS. So, I loaded a dummy round with one of the RCBS 44-250-KT (part #82044) that GLL sent me. (Above the crimp groove - front driving band, nose, and meplat - this Group Buy design is identical to the RCBS design.)

Took it upstairs and tried it in my Marlin, fully expecting having to take it apart... Well, to my utter astonishment, the round fed like butter. I mean, no difference in feel of the lever between this and my RNFPs... I tried it working the lever slow with as little effort as possible, working the lever as hard and jerky as I could, turning the rifle around 90-degrees and trying it all four ways - right side up, upside down, ejection port up, and ejection port down, and I could not get this boolit to hang-up, catch, stutter, or in any way act like it had a problem feeding...

When this 6-cavity comes in, I may have to turn into a one-boolit kind of guy for the 44 Magnum... (Nah, there's other good ones out there, but this is going to be my favorite; I can already tell...)

Of course, I cannot promise you it will work through your lever-gun, but I'm feeling quite lucky/satisfied today...

Banned

I need one too but this bullet and a couple others are going to have to wait a couple weeks for me to replenish the gun fund.

Better put me down for one, too. Man, my wife is gonna kill me for even THINKING about buying something else gun-related! Oh well, I may have to sell off one of the "kids" to finance this! NOT the one thats my avatar though, he's mine! Talk about ticking off the wife!
    "Ignorance is curable, but Stupid is forever!"
    -Granddad

Boolit Buddy
    Same here, but it will have to wait a bit to allow recruiting the necessary capital.

Boolit Buddy

Talking

The other way to use Keith SWC in lever actions is to load them in the shorter Special cases. The feeding problems are usually caused by too long OAL of the cartridge due to the long nose on a Keith SWC, putting the bullet into the shorter Special case fixes this.

And after all, Keith never designed a bullet for a Magnum cartridge, he only designed bullets for the 38 Special, 44 Special, 45 Colt and 45 ACP/Auto Rimmed. The bullets just got used in the magnum cartridges after the magnums were introduced.

And I'll take a mold too, but will have to wait a few weeks to get the money.

Well I have to admit I'm interested also. However, my concern is the length of this bullet. So, I have a couple of questions for you 10mm.

(1) Will the loaded bullet fit into the S & W 629 chamber using .44 mag cases, and crimped on the crimp grove?

(2) I would also like to know if this will be a round or sq cut lube grove?

Thanks,

Richard
    Cat, the other white meat!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Meatco1 View Post
    (1) Will the loaded bullet fit into the S & W 629 chamber using .44 mag cases, and crimped on the crimp grove?
    Short-answer is YES!

As I said above, this design has the exact same out-of-case length as the RCBS 44-250-KT, therefore, if the RCBS works, this one will too. In addition, when I loaded up that dummy round today to try through my Marlin, I also stuck it in the cylinders of both of my S&W629s, and while it reached out to very near the end of the cylinder, it was still well below the end of the cylinder. I didn't have my depth-measuring calipers with me, but I'll re-check that tomorrow night, as well as give you the measurements of the length of both of my S&W 629 cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatco1 View Post
    (2) I would also like to know if this will be a round or sq cut lube grove?
    The lube groove is basically square-cut. If you look at the mechanical drawing above, you'll see there is a slight inclined angle from the drive bands to the bottom of the lube groove. This is done so that the boolits will fall out of the mould cavities and not hang up on the parallel-sided "shelf" created by a perfectly vertical / square lube groove. With proper measuring equipment, I'm sure we'd find that all of the "traditional square-cut" lube grooves actually have inclined angles for this very reason...

Good questions.

Boolit Master

To all - I plan on leaving this open a little while. I want to see as many people as possible get in on this. Looks like we already have 10, that's a great start in one day! Don't worry about the money end of this. I won't start asking til probably closer to the middle or end of September.

Boolit Master

I'm in. You can never be too rich or have too many "Keith" style moulds.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks EDK and 38 Spl. I want at least one of these myself, so we're at a solid four for now... We'll let this run for awhile. I didn't put an end target-date, because there are always folks who come here intermittently, especially in the Summer time. So, we may let this run for a little while, just to get as many in as possible. (It never works out that you actually get EVERY one in who wants in, but we'll try to give everybody a chance.)
    No worries. I'm a .44 Special nut so have all the various "pseudo-Keith" molds. I can survive a few more months without another one.

Boolit Master
    I see all of the drawings - both here and in the feeler thread spec out a 0.433" boolit. However the detailed notes on the group buy say 0.432" boolit and beagle if you need more. Hmmm... I realize it is the Honcho's prerogative here - just didn't notice any discussion to this effect.

Boolit Buddy
    Count me in for one....maybe two if it runs long enough.

Boolit Master

I am in for 1

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Works for me also. Count me in for one.

Let me know when you need the check.

Thanks,

Richard
    Cat, the other white meat!!

Boolit Master
    Another Kieth for me.

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast